Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I didn't know "Jehovah Witnesses" was a joke.
    They're real subtle.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by noipmahc-omm View Post
    I don't hate the question--I hate what follows in which I have to agree that it commonly is a lecture. In my experience, it's commonly the political minority of the region asking such a question and they commonly are socially inept individuals.

Why not? Politics is taboo and it isn't your "right" to ask. Basic social etiquette.
    Taboo? Openness and discussion are important parts of any democracy.
    You do not have to answer when someone asks of course but why would you be offended when someone asks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    This is usually said by people who are ashamed by their decision.
    Not where I'm from. It's just usually impolite to ask that question. And the same impoliteness also applies to who you are going to vote for in the coming elections, meaning it's not about shame, as they haven't even voted yet.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    They're real subtle.
    How come? They always knock.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Taboo? Openness and discussion are important parts of any democracy.
    You do not have to answer when someone asks of course but why would you be offended when someone asks?
    You answered that yourself. Most people are incapable of talking about such subjects in a respectful manner. Someone always is offended hence the reason for it being taboo. Sure, in an idealistic world you can talk to anyone about anything and they wouldn't be offended, but that really has never been the case, ever. Thus, it's commonly a topic only discussed amongst friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone asks, ask them "How old were you when you first had sex?"
    #boycottchina

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    If someone asks, ask them "How old were you when you first had sex?"
    Pff, that's easy. I would just reply to that with "12, with an eldery person, he voted for X btw"
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I vote for the Sex Party.

When researching which party I should vote for, I googled their name and boy did I like what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    And the person has every right to say "Mind your own business"
    I think you're both right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

You answered that yourself. Most people are incapable of talking about such subjects in a respectful manner. Someone always is offended hence the reason for it being taboo. Sure, in an idealistic world you can talk to anyone about anything and they wouldn't be offended, but that really has never been the case, ever. Thus, it's commonly a topic only discussed amongst friends.
    Is it?
    Are you speaking for yourself and your own group of friends or about everyone, everywhere?
    It sounds like you think you speak for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't vote. I'm waiting for a great dictator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Who cares imo. You ask I'll tell you. You try and lecture me I'll tell you to fuck off.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    It's a very impolite question.
    Seems I live in a very impolite country then.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Is it?
    Are you speaking for yourself and your own group of friends or about everyone, everywhere?
    It sounds like you think you speak for everyone.
    Likewise. Go ask Google if politics is taboo. Like I said in the post you responded to, I don't care if people ask me the question. Heck, assuming you have a notable amount of friends, ask yourself why political posts on Facebook are rarely actually engaged by people within your social network. I'm going to assume that you rarely actually engage with people and don't actually have much of a social network. Politics, like sex and religion, is taboo. Sure, they might be popular with internet anonymity but you're lying to yourself if you think that such topics aren't taboo.

As a footnote, why is politics perfectly fine with friends? Empathy. People don't engage in political discussions with acquaintances and people they barely know with the intention of having a reasonable discussion--they do it to spread their gospel. Friends reason with each other.
    Last edited by helebelemon; 2017-06-09 at 01:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Likewise. Go ask Google if politics is taboo. Like I said in the post you responded to, I don't care if people ask me the question. Heck, assuming you have a notable amount of friends, ask yourself why political posts on Facebook are rarely actually engaged by people within your social network. I'm going to assume that you rarely actually engage with people and don't actually have much of a social network. Politics, like sex and religion, is taboo. Sure, they might be popular with internet anonymity but you're lying to yourself if you think that such topics aren't taboo.
    Its perfectly acceptable where im from, you can't really paint all countries/regions with one brush on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    i voted for alleria/veressa. the windrunner sisters.......to take their clothes off.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Its perfectly acceptable where im from, you can't really paint all countries/regions with one brush on this.
    Fair point. Where are you from? In a country like France, you're right, it is very often engaged (of course, they hate talking about work). Here in America, it doesn't matter if you're from Kennesaw, GA or Seattle, WA, it's pretty rude to ask people about their political affiliations.

As a footnote, why is politics perfectly fine with friends? Empathy. People don't engage in political discussions with acquaintances and people they barely know with the intention of having a reasonable discussion--they do it to spread their gospel. Friends reason with each other.
    So not only do you think you speak for everyone but you also think you know me and my social situation?
    Intresting.
    I can see why people have problems discussing politics with you seeing as you turn to personal insults whenever someone does not agree with you.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Well, "who did you vote for?" might be a little forward and intrusive, but "mind your own business" is quite hostile and rude. Why not just say "I rather not discuss that"?
    Or say, " It is none of your business." Which is true and not rude. It only becomes hostile to the one asking the question, if they feel offended, when they should not be.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-06-09 at 01:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind declaring my vote.

I voted for Sinn Fein.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Or say, " It is none of your business." Which is true and not rude. It only becomes hostile to the one asking the question, if they feel offended, when they should not be.
    It might not be rude, but it's certainly a cold rejection, and quite awkward if you intend to continue the conversation. I guess that's up to the person who they are talking to, but I would feel that "it's none of your business" to be "I don't want to talk to you", while "I rather not discuss that" is more like "Let's talk about something else instead".
    Mother pus bucket!