Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    There are a lot of triggered conservatives in here who don't seem to understand the goal here.
    Well ya, no argument there
    You understand what's going on. So why place the blame on "triggered conservatives" when OP's goal is to "trigger" people?.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing says Authoritarian/Fascist Government than the Government banning things because they don't trust their own population to live their own lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    What about them?, they better get their own piece of land.
    So what if they just come take yours, I mean only so much land to go around right? Or are you of the belief that you can just tell any and everybody that and they will just go oh well and starve.

People won't be obligated to living the way you think that ought to either, especially when your notion stems from this idea that has been proven not to work throughout History, which is exactly what leads to wars and social unrest.

However on topic you know if you really want to grow YOUR own twinkies by all means, but the point is food that is consumed by most through the process most should be able to rely on needs to be improved, especially for the over all health of society that is living longer but afflicted by more disease.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot of triggered conservatives in here who don't seem to understand the goal here. You can still buy and eat all the junk food you want, as can your kids - ads just shouldn't be targeted at kids. That's all.

You can have a Doritos commercial on your football, you can't have a Mars Bar ad during Dora The Explorer: because it gives kids an unhealthy expectation of what is food - where they can name every type of candy bar, but only a couple fruits.

There are literally no rights being removed here - just a change in messaging when marketing to kids.

But yea, that's national communism
    Yeah because letting people make up their own minds and trusting parents to teach their children how the World works is totally a Conservative trait

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Nothing says Authoritarian/Fascist Government than the Government banning things because they don't trust their own population to live their own lives.
    Well it is proven people can't all be trusted to live their own lives, in fact it's because people can't and it effects other that there are laws, and rules in place to prevent chaos.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah because letting people make up their own minds and trusting parents to teach their children how the World works is totally a Conservative trait
    I don't care if they are liberal or conservative, some people have pretty wacky bad ideas on how to do many things.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not let the less educated and junk food addicts destroy their own health and their families' but not ban nor prohibit anything simply because people are stupid?

I find it hilarious that those who like to call themselves liberals seem to want the most authoritarian version of a government you can come up with.

Supposedly parents exist for this reason but glad to see soany people would much rather just tell each other how to live.

This is a tenni... oh never mind

As for whats being discussed why the fuck do people think banning advertisements will work? Dont we all just skip that shit anyway thanks to saved tv or what ever that shit is called?

Lets be real we humans fucking love sugar and fat we crave it like heroin and even if you ban adverts people will still want it and buy it.

Deleted
    If parents fail, maybe the state should step in?

I favour a small government with minimal influence in our daily lives but at the same time I see people fail at the most basic things in life so perhaps humanity simply needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    I find it hilarious that those who like to call themselves liberals seem to want the most authoritarian version of a government you can come up with.
    "liberal" and "libertarian" are different things.

Anyway, obesity related illness is overtaking smoking as a cause of death. Advertising cigarettes to children is forbidden. Yada yada, wave my hands, hey why not.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    I mean, Canada doesn't go anywhere near far enough; all active advertising should be killed off completely. That is to say, people would find out about products only when they themselves go looking for the information.

I know, I know...that'd be a paradise and utopia. One can dream.

Yeah! Damn tyrannical shitheads with their seatbelt laws and speed limits! And fuck murder laws government should just trusty people to not kill each other. All laws are stupid we should just trust people to live their lives unless they're immigrants or in any type of welfare! Then we drug test them and loose our shit when one buys lobster.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2017-06-12 at 03:41 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Who the fuck watches ads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Easy now, there's nothing wrong with cheese.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Quebec, adds targetted at children are already banned. Frankly, whenever I open an English Canadian channel on the TV and have the horrible luck of witnessing one of those cheezy, hyperactive adds, I swap channel ASAP.

I can't believe there are still things like that in Canada. About time.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Theres nothing wrong with ads ban, hell we should ban ads period lol. No but seriously, anybody whining about these ads being banned.... you realize cigarette ads suffered the same faith right? Are you missing them? Plus in many places ads targeted on children are banned period. Banning the ads, doesent mean the product is.

There are a lot of triggered conservatives in here who don't seem to understand the goal here. You can still buy and eat all the junk food you want, as can your kids - ads just shouldn't be targeted at kids. That's all.
    I don't really see a problem with restricting advertisements for certain types of products. I have a problem with acting like something is a solution when it isn't even close. The parents buy the junk food. Yeah, kids probably have an allowance and can buy *some* but not nearly enough to get fat just from that. The real link to childhood obesity isn't what the kids see on tv and want nor is it the one meal a day kids have in school.

The problem is what parents are buying and feeding their kids at home. You pretty much never see fat kids with thin/fit parents. On the other hand, fat parents are pretty clearly in a lot of cases feeding their kids the same crap that made them fat. If mom and dad are buying junk food to make themselves fat, obviously it is going to be there for the kids to eat. You know what is a better advertisement than an actual advertisement? A kid seeing their parents eat the stuff all the time.

I don't know that I agree with restricting ads for products that are perfectly fine when used in moderation, but I do agree obesity is a serious problem and I hate ads... The thing about junk food is that you can have, for example, 1 can of soda a day with no problems. This isn't on the level of cigarettes where not only would 1 a day still be bad for you, but they're highly addictive. That said, if you wanted to go after ads, the ads you need to go after are the ones getting the adults who are actually paying for the goods.

Or maybe instead of restricting ads, add a new regulation that for every X seconds of ads aired for unhealthy foods they have to air Y seconds of PSA that quickly explain to parents how they're killing their kids if they're feeding them junk that makes them obese. Rev up those protective parental instincts.
    Last edited by Sesshou; 2017-06-12 at 04:10 PM.

Mother
    Can you keep them in the dark for life
    Can you hide them from the waiting world
    Oh mother

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Who gets to decide what counts as 'unhealthy'? How exactly are you going to go about 'banning' foods? How are you going to manage to justify it? Do you really think the Supreme Court is going to uphold the legislation, IF you some how manage to get a law passed?
    Nutritional advisors and academic professionals familiar in the topic.

I'm not for banning foods btw but you could slap a 100% tax on anything unhealthy and see how quickly that market dies.
    In the same way you should target drugs like alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and others like marijuana with such a tax. They should all be legal, yes, but if you're gonna burden the health care system of your society with your bad habits, you'll pay for it.

Or, if it doens't, at least the government gets enough revenue to treat the diseases that originate from the consumption more equitably.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    Why not let the less educated and junk food addicts destroy their own health and their families' but not ban nor prohibit anything simply because people are stupid?
    I bet you blame Obama for insurance premiums rising too.

Hint: You're subsidizing the healthcare costs of people "destroying their own health".

So - whose rights prevail, the rights of irresponsible people to do irresponsible (or just uneducated) things, or the right of responsible people to have reasonable insurance premiums?

It's actually very similar to health care... the United States is the only country that allows direct to consumer pharm advertising too. Shockingly, we consume a ridiculous amount of pharm too, with no real world medical benefit...