Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It seems that climate change science has morphed into a quasi-religion for especially atheists and otherwise non religious people. Is climate change science paganism? and if so should there be a separation of church and state?

No it is science and what we need to do is make sure science beats out the stupidity of the denial of facts that we have going on from right wing morons that think climate change is a hoax.

If it is a hoax explain why donny is demanding to get climate change protection on his golf courses i mean it is a hoax right?????

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is similar to religions in the way how profanes take everything scientists say as factual law (similar to how church goers, eat everything priests tell them, same amount of books you need to read too - zero), and the way they zealously attack anyone who even think of suggesting on taking a skeptical approach. It is true for any science though not just climate.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Dazgaraspa View Post
    A Science with existential and real objective evidence can't turn into a religion which is a system of beliefs based on subjective experiences.

That said, I think it has become a social trend to talk about it, just like Vegetarianism or Yoga and stuff like that, People talk about it and act like they care about it for attention.
    We cant see or measure this CO2 pollution individually, that should be a warning sign when the same people don't give a rats ass about visual pollution and littering. Just google pollution in Haiti, pollution in Nigeria or any other 3rd world country. That pollution is the problem its unsanitary and will result in disease and possible viruses for everyone. Get your priorities straight, first clean up the garbage you can see that causes disease and plagues, then go after the ridiculously stupid stuff plants breath after?
    Last edited by Hooked; 2017-06-12 at 07:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because you're too stupid to understand it doesn't mean everyone else is blindly following it through faith. That might be how religion works for you, but some people actually try to understand the world as it is, without any fanciful trappings or make believe.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Just because you're too stupid to understand it doesn't mean everyone else is blindly following it through faith. That might be how religion works for you, but some people actually try to understand the world as it is, without any fanciful trappings or make believe.
    Ok explain it?.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    The vast majority of people doesn't understand the science in the required capacity to know it, they mostly trust the authority they believe in.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The vast majority of people doesn't understand the science in the required capacity to know it, they mostly trust the authority they believe in.
    You could say that about virtually anything.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

considering it's a fact, i'd say that's a pretty good indicator it's not a religion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Which is a good thing, people should know they can trust authority or sources of academic credentials based on a proven track record.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Science is just a better method than religion to guess what the world looks like. Climate change was found through the scientific method.
    Believing its "true" (aka very likely untill we find a more likely explanation), without understanding it, is not a religious faith. Its believing that the same method that explains everything else you think is true, doesnt suddendly stop working in areas you dont understand.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Which is a good thing, people should know they can trust authority or sources of academic credentials based on a proven track record.
    Yeah just like people should trust their priest right?, what is the difference?. This is a new science, al gore with a larger carbon footprint than the state of Wyoming is going to lecture me on pollution. GTFO of here, seriously gore, dude from titanic, and other celebrities?. None of them practice what they preach, they only want to hand down this decision to us peasants.
    Last edited by Hooked; 2017-06-12 at 08:01 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    So, according to the OP, me accepting gravity makes me a religious person because I don't question it and would call out gravity deniers.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2017-06-12 at 08:04 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    We cant see or measure this CO2 pollution individually,
    Yes we can.

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/a...surements.html

It just happens to need access to the tech. It is no different than saying that we cannot travel to space individually so that can't be real, or we cannot individually see microbes so that can't be real either. All three need technology, and all three also have some sort of cooperating with other human beings that needs to be done.

The human race is a social species, you cannot expect to be able to do everything alone.
    Speciation Is Gradual

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah just like people should trust their priest right?, what is the difference?.
    Uh actually I believe that is actually what the outrage is all about, you should be able to trust your priest, or a cop, or a banker, or really your next door neighbor. Authority is just one facet of that relationship.

I understand the that theory doesn't always meet the practice in out everyday world, but it is the better thing to strive for rather than this, well if you did X then Y wouldn't have happened.

Eh, NO, sometimes that is the case but most times it isn't especially if they are incidents we all hear about, because often times it's because something went wrong, that shouldn't have.

The government acting in the best interest of society is a good thing, based on reliable science.

As a historian, focused on the importance of history for modern day society... I can tell you this is something I have been thinking for the last few years... would not call it a religion but a belief system where people believe more than they are capable of provide scientific facts (it does not mean they don't exist, but that people are uninformed about them)

Obviously though there should be laws protecting the environment and safeguarding it, but from that to catastrophic scenarios about the end of the world due to climate change, is a big step... on the other hand, climate change "believers" don't talk much about the plastic patches in the oceans and rarely take part in local initiatives to protect the environment...

If you consider science to be a religion, yes, sure it's a religion. But that's a stretch into the stupid land.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    If you consider science to be a religion, yes, sure it's a religion. But that's a stretch into the stupid land.
    Science isn't a religion, but there are some ideas that people believe is scientific that very much take on a cult like religious tone which is a hell of a lot why science and facts, have lost so much ground and trust. Lack of education and too many bullshit artist peddling crap either for money or power, to work some kind of agenda.

10+ Year Old Account
    Summer is here and Beijing has been hot. I have sacrificed my third penguin already, but the temperatures are not abating!
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I would like to see more Empirical evidence that Humans are causing Global Warming.
    The Climate has changed throughout the Geological period.

There has even been a mini Ice Age and a Medieval Warm Period between the 1300s to 1800s
    And this was well before the Human Industrial Society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

Show me some Empirical Evidence about anthropogenic Climate change & I may believe.

Former Obama EPA Chief concedes: ‘Climate change has become a religion’
    Conversation with former EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy: 'The challenge I think we have is for some reason climate change has become a religion
    -- a politically induced religion instead of science fact that now we have to embrace and move forward on.'

http://www.climatedepot.com/2017/02/...me-a-religion/

And BTW I have done a paper in Climate Change

Aussiedude BSc (Phys Geography) Dip Bus Admin

10+ Year Old Account
    Climate change is a construct that a few select humans choose to believe in. Same as your everyday Mohammed Ahmed Al'Shahadi believing in Allah.

Same freaking thing.

For every piece of "proof" they provide, the very same scientific demographic comes up with proof that this is an integral part of the Earths natural cycle. If God wills it that CO2 levels go up, there must be a reason, as his actions are way too mysterious for us to even attempt to comprehend.

Don't play god kiddos.
    Last edited by Zoibert the Bear; 2017-06-12 at 08:27 AM.