Returning since Mop - levelling through WoD and Legion

Hi all,

Well its that time....I couldn't stay away and IM BACK!!!

And i just have to pull the paladin out of retirement and get him going again.

I've been doing some reading in prep for coming back and there seems to be a bit of debate around prot v ret levelling - can anyone offer some real insight into pro's of prot levelling or ret levelling?

I want to heal @ 110 and as off spec during levelling but i dont have any ret gear to level with through WoD - all i have is holy PVP/PVE gear and prot gear.

If i do have to go ret is there a vendor available to buy some gear? Im short on gold (i think i gave it away when i left.....oops)

Is WoD worth running through for the gold, XP and garrison etc?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tailstrike View Post
    Hi all,

I've been doing some reading in prep for coming back and there seems to be a bit of debate around prot v ret levelling - can anyone offer some real insight into pro's of prot levelling or ret levelling?

I want to heal @ 110 and as off spec during levelling but i dont have any ret gear to level with through WoD - all i have is holy PVP/PVE gear and prot gear.

If i do have to go ret is there a vendor available to buy some gear? Im short on gold (i think i gave it away when i left.....oops)

Thanks
    You should be fine for questing as Ret in yout "tanking" set. Most of tanking stats have been removed so it's just melee plate. Just get a twohander. Plate gear since WoD has both Int and Str on it, so you don't need to worry about armor while levelling. And Legion has Artifact weapons so you don't need to worry about weapon either. Just trinkets and relics for the weapon, but you can farm those rather easily on dungeons and WQs on max level.

Garrison doesn't really matter anymore. I'd recommend questing through the levelling content indtead of runnign the same three dungeons over again. Definetly best part of WoD and Legion is good too.

Deleted
    Run through for fast levelling, yeah, but ignore as much of the garrison as you can and get to the Broken Isles ASAP. It's just not worth investing any time or gold in it at this point for you.

Decide on a spec. Get heirlooms for your chosen spec. Level up your garrison enough to get the XP potion at the garrison vendor (+20% for 100 resources, lasts one hour), buy 2-5 of them. Go through the zones, do as many bonus objectives as you can find plus enough storyline quests to advance to the next zone. Ignore dungeons for now.

At level 98, go do the Broken Shores intro quests so you get to New Dalaran and get your Artifact. Read up on guides on artifacts, your class order hall and how to get Legion Flying, they will tell you just about everything you need to know to get started well on Legion content.

Gear has changed since MoP, so almost all armor and cloaks from WoD and forward will change Main Stat as you change spec (in your case, gear shares STR and INT). You only have to replace the remaining bits. It should be easy enough to work your way from here...

Hi all,

Thanks
    If you want to power level through dungeons, go with prot.

If you want to solo level theres some debate if you should do it as a tank or dps. Tbh not much difference except at 100-102 DPS seem to struggle - especially non raid geared alts, but 103 or so onwards once you have the gear its good.

If I was you I'd stick to prot to 110, set your loot spec to holy and just use the holy gear to tank in, won't make that much difference in all honesty.

But since it's your first character save your artifact power items in your bags (aka dont click them) at 101 do your holy artifact quest line, get it, end of each leveling session switch specs to holy and dump your AP into it. (When you start on a alt this wont make to much of a difference, but first character will be worth doing)

I'd say go prot. Retribution is horrible at lower haste values due to discount Colossus Smash. Ret might have more killing power, but I'd say prot feels much more fluid and has the survivability factor.