Thread: Curse & Twitch

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Curse & Twitch

I have been using curse since forever to manage my addons, like so many people. Now suddenly it became Twitch. I at first did not care as it only meant a name change. But lately they seem to be pushing a "Twitch account merge". I didn't really read and ignored the message until today where I saw they are mentioning you will loose your account if you do not merge.

I do not use Twitch nor want Twitch. This seems like a marketing ploy to get curse members to register Twitch accounts.. A program that I used for so many years suddenly went all downhill. Seems like a case of money over userbase again.

I am not sure if they will follow up on their treat of disabling accounts who do not merge but just in case they do. Is there any other alternative other than managing my own addons again should they go forward with this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you see, Curse is part of Twitch now, so technically they represent the same company. It's to be expected that they want everyone to know and register on all their services.

That also means that MMO-C is Twitch! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!

You can do it yourself manually theres nothing stopping you doing that. Twitch want you to use their account because some streamers use Curse Voice so sub perks etc. I don't see why you don't want a twitch account if all your doing is using it for addons. They aren't forcing you to go to Twitch and Watch streams

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    I have been using curse since forever to manage my addons, like so many people. Now suddenly it became Twitch. I at first did not care as it only meant a name change. But lately they seem to be pushing a "Twitch account merge". I didn't really read and ignored the message until today where I saw they are mentioning you will loose your account if you do not merge.

I do not use Twitch nor want Twitch. This seems like a marketing ploy to get curse members to register Twitch accounts.. A program that I used for so many years suddenly went all downhill. Seems like a case of money over userbase again.

I am not sure if they will follow up on their treat of disabling accounts who do not merge but just in case they do. Is there any other alternative other than managing my own addons again should they go forward with this?
    In the time it took you to complain here, you could have created a Twitch account.. merged it with your Curse account.. and downloaded all your addons. And still had like 5 minutes left over to do whatever you deemed appropriate.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    Well, you see, Curse is part of Twitch now, so technically they represent the same company. It's to be expected that they want everyone to know and register on all their services.

That also means that MMO-C is Twitch! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!
    You mean Twitch-Champion?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    In the time it took you to complain here, you could have created a Twitch account.. merged it with your Curse account.. and downloaded all your addons. And still had like 5 minutes left over to do whatever you deemed appropriate.
    That is exactly what they want me to do. I'll pass. Someone whispered me another solution, I'll take my chances there.

You also can update multiple addons at once if you have Amazon Prime. That's a nice perk.

That is exactly what they want me to do. I'll pass. Someone whispered me another solution, I'll take my chances there.
    Then goodbye.
    Your outright refusal makes it look simply like a bias towards twitch.
    The posts were an attempt to figure out WHY it was a problem, as that account-merge or conversion was simply a necessity to continue using the curse client services.
    Since you refused to accept that as an option, then that only leaves you with alternative applications, or clients.
    You refused to tell us why it was a problem, making it hard to believe there was a good reason behind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    You also can update multiple addons at once if you have Amazon Prime. That's a nice perk.
    Are you being sarcastic, or is that actually true? I have never heard of that lol.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just make the account, you don't have to actually USE the account for anything. You don't have to watch Twitch. I mean I have a Netflix account, I don't actually USE it or have an active sub though. Holy non-issue batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastlane_hellscream View Post
    Are you being sarcastic, or is that actually true? I have never heard of that lol.
    Yes, the "update all" button works without curse premium. Amazon owns Twitch, and Twitch owns Curse.

Come to think of it I'm not positive you even need Amazon Prime for that button to work now. Someone posted that was why it worked a couple months ago. I have Prime, so I can't test it without.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Yes, the "update all" button works without curse premium. Amazon owns Twitch, and Twitch owns Curse.

Come to think of it I'm not positive you even need Amazon Prime for that button to work now. Someone posted that was why it worked a couple months ago. I have Prime, so I can't test it without.
    Simply merging Curse and Twitch lets you one click update.

Ahh, there you go then. It's free!

I didn't really read and ignored the message until today where I saw they are mentioning you will loose your account if you do not merge.
    [...]
    I am not sure if they will follow up on their treat of disabling accounts who do not merge but just in case they do.

Do you have any source on that? I can only find this one https://curseweb.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...87-QA#NotMerge

Quote Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
    Do you have any source on that? I can only find this one https://curseweb.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...87-QA#NotMerge
    Q. What happens if I decide not to merge my account?

A. Nothing at this point, you can continue to use your Curse account by choosing "Login with Curse". There will be a time in the future when the merge will be required however. We suggest you do it now to ensure you get the username you want.
    https://support.curse.com/hc/en-us/a...Account-Merge-

Seems to be contradictory information there, but I think that is only due to lack of context.
    Given the lack of need or prompting to do anything with the account on here - I would assume that is only referring to the the client itself, since that is Twitch rather than Curse now.
    But it is rather messy given how its mostly curse services offered though it, but requiring a twitch account.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Twitch and Curse are the same company now. Rather than having separate accounts for both, there is now one account used to access both. Since Curse is the subsidiary for Twitch, Twitch accounts trumped. Curse accounts are being retired if you didn't merge an existing one into a Twitch account. You're not being forced to use or watch Twitch or anything like that. You need an account to access the client, and since they were combined, that account is a Twitch account. It's not a marketing thing, it's just a logistical issue.

I definitely can empathise with not wanting to have a zillion accounts for every little thing and there are places that bug me because they require you to be registered with them, but I feel like this is one scenario where people are sort of dramatising the situation. If anything, for the many people who already had Twitch accounts, this is making less accounts, not more.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Twitch and Curse are the same company now. Rather than having separate accounts for both, there is now one account used to access both. Since Curse is the subsidiary for Twitch, Twitch accounts trumped. Curse accounts are being retired if you didn't merge an existing one into a Twitch account. You're not being forced to use or watch Twitch or anything like that. You need an account to access the client, and since they were combined, that account is a Twitch account. It's not a marketing thing, it's just a logistical issue.

I definitely can empathise with not wanting to have a zillion accounts for every little thing and there are places that bug me because they require you to be registered with them, but I feel like this is one scenario where people are sort of dramatising the situation. If anything, for the many people who already had Twitch accounts, this is making less accounts, not more.
    So you mean that will be a necessity for those using curse sites too, not just those using the client ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    So you mean that will be a necessity for those using curse sites too, not just those using the client ?
    As far as I know, it is already option on other sites to merge your account now as part of the process to integrate Curse and Twitch accounts. It's not mandatory now (but neither is the Twitch app - just encouraged) but I don't know about the future as I don't work for Curse Media. However, if you've already merged your account for the app, it should already be recognised on Curse sites and you should be able to successfully use your Twitch login there. It won't impact our post history or display name or anything like that; it's basically just a login thing. The only real difference is that on the Twitch app you kinda want to merge early if you can so you can get the name you want on the app. In the case of Curse sites, you can pick a unique display name per-site that doesn't need to match your overall account handle, so it's less critical.

MMO-C is an exception among all Curse sites just because it is using its own software right now and has it's own login system that goes with it.

But yeah, if you don't already use your Twitch account to login on other Curse sites, you'll be able to once you merge your account.

Edit: here is the FAQ for Curse Media sites and merging https://curseweb.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...15002024687-QA

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    As far as I know, it is already option on other sites to merge your account now as part of the process to integrate Curse and Twitch accounts. It's not mandatory now (but neither is the Twitch app - just encouraged) but I don't know about the future as I don't work for Curse Media. However, if you've already merged your account for the app, it should already be recognised on Curse sites and you should be able to successfully use your Twitch login there. It won't impact our post history or display name or anything like that; it's basically just a login thing. The only real difference is that on the Twitch app you kinda want to merge early if you can so you can get the name you want on the app. In the case of Curse sites, you can pick a unique display name per-site that doesn't need to match your overall account handle, so it's less critical.

MMO-C is an exception among all Curse sites just because it is using its own software right now and has it's own login system that goes with it.

But yeah, if you don't already use your Twitch account to login on other Curse sites, you'll be able to once you merge your account.

Edit: here is the FAQ for Curse Media sites and merging https://curseweb.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...15002024687-QA
    I already merged, for the client.
    But it is useful to get some of this information highlighted so other people can make inform themselves first, if they actually want to.

I do not use Twitch nor want Twitch.
    And yet you'd be willing to use the Twitch app as long as you were able to use your old curse login?

The new client is pretty much the same as the old one, still entirely free, still respects your privacy (no personal information required anywhere), still doesn't annoy you with ads and doesn't spam your email inbox either. Only the name changed, that's it. Verdict: Harmless!