Poll: Is modern WoW the same WoW you fell in love with?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    You need to improve your comprehension skills mate, just sayin
    It's not me who needs to "improve comprehension skills", mate. That is exactly what you wrote. People that like WoW only like it because they haven't played other games.

But just to humor you and give you a chance to backpedal, what, pray tell, did you mean with that sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    It isn't the same, but it never could be as the nostalgia of vanilla wow can't be relived once it has gone. I still have fond memories of levelling through Silverpine Forest and getting rekt by the lvl 25 Elite mob roaming around. The atmosphere and community was so different and I miss it so much, but it was new and exciting then and even playing on a vanilla server would not be the same for me now
    Have you tried?

I was pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Ok here's a genuine question for people in this thread. Your post actually gave me the idea for it so thanks.

If WoW had kept to the Vanilla model of 40 man raiding, barely anyone seeing the raids and the mechanics/qol of Vanilla do you think it would still have millions of subs as it does today? Genuine question here.

Think carefully as well. There were even more accessible MMOs coming out after WoW so factor that in.
    I would likely have left. The reason for that is my free time. I barely have half the free time I used to have when I started playing WoW, and considering nowadays we have games being launched almost every month, for me, vanilla WoW just wouldn't be able to compete. I mean, I can hop into Overwatch play several games in the span of an hour, or grind quite a few Greater Rifts in Diablo in that same time... but what could you accomplish in one hour on vanilla WoW? Maybe a single dungeon, at best. That is, provided you don't end up spending that hour trying to form a dungeon group, because no tank and/or healer is currently online in your guild.

I'm not saying one hour is all the free time I got, it's just an example.

Quote Originally Posted by HitRefresh View Post
    Have you tried?

I was pleasantly surprised.
    I might have to have a look then, I am not sure if it would have the same atmosphere for me, but it is something I have been thinking about doing for a while to be honest. Would like to convince a few friends to come first though

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    It's not me who needs to "improve comprehension skills", mate. That is exactly what you wrote. People that like WoW only like it because they haven't played other games.

But just to humor you and give you a chance to backpedal, what, pray tell, did you mean with that sentence?
    Only noobs backpedal. I stand my ground. Firmly. Like a bloody rock.

Besides, this is about WoW, not other MMOS, use your bloody head.
    Last edited by tikcol; 2017-06-19 at 04:53 PM.

For me it isn't. My WoW "career" can basically be broken down into three segments. When I first started playing (august 2007) most of my memories are of social interactions with IRL and in-game friends. Over the years I have come to the sad reality that 90% of my friends list was created in that first year or two of my playing - up until mid WotLK or so. My server felt like a close-knit community and I'd always recognize names whether they be good arena players, those who hang out in goldshire, people who dueled outside IF, raiders, trade chat trolls, etc. That community kind of died near the end of WotLK and it hasn't ever been rekindled imo. The WoW I fell in love with was a very social game characterized by player interaction.

The second era of my WoW was Cata-MOP. This was my sad and lonely stage of WoW, and it was also the era in which I played the least. Most of my friends that I made in the game had quit by the end of WotLK or the first few months of Cata. My brother and dad both quit playing too. During this time I spent most of my time PvPing solo, mostly in casual battlegrounds. WoW lost it's lustre for me during these expansions, I was subbed for like 60-70% of Cata, but hardly played MOP. I think I played the first month and then quit and came back for a few months of the SoO patch. My guild was dead, friends gone, my love for WoW was lost.

The third era of my WoW career has been all about raiding, and began with WOD and continued into Legion. Ever since WOD there has been a massive resurgence in my playtime in this game. I have been subbed for almost every month since the beginning of WoD and have spent that time trying to become a higher tier raider. I joined a good guild, and even made some new friends for once. WoD kinda sucked overall but I kept playing because I found something to do and was having fun again. In Legion, my best friend in WoW ever resubbed for the first time since Cata. That really shocked me to see him online and I have had a blast playing with him again. I have since joined one of the oldest and most prestigious raiding guilds on my server and have been raiding with them. I cannot wait for ToS. I love WoW again, but for very different reasons than I did 10 years ago in TBC.

Only noobs backpedal. I stand my ground. Firmly. Like a bloody rock.

Besides, this is about WoW, not other MMOS, use your bloody head.
    Your original statement is still invalid.

Your original statement is still invalid.
    Did you play vanilla wow? invalid my ass !

Did you play vanilla wow? invalid my ass !
    Assuming I didn't, remember that Blizzard shipped a special gift to players who played since Vanilla and never let their subscriptions lapse even once:

So, yes, your original statement is invalid.

Assuming I didn't, remember that Blizzard shipped a special gift to players who played since Vanilla and never let their subscriptions lapse even once:

So, yes, your original statement is invalid.
    Is that yours?

Is that yours?
    Irrelevant. The simple fact those statues were shipped mean there are people who played during vanilla and still play WoW, meaning they enjoy the game and yes, modern WoW is not "all that they have experienced". Ergo, your original statement is invalid.

Irrelevant. The simple fact those statues were shipped mean there are people who played during vanilla and still play WoW, meaning they enjoy the game and yes, modern WoW is not "all that they have experienced". Ergo, your original statement is invalid.
    I saw a black duck, all ducks are black. Srsly

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    This is sadly true. Transmog has both positive and negative effects... Overall though I'd say the pros (customization options and not looking like everyone else or like a clown) outweigh the cons (information on gear is visually lost and the "Wow!"-factor is gone).
    I feel like one of those old guys saying how better things was in his prime time.

"Back in my day there was no transmog, so looking cool was only possible for a few dedicated raiders or pvp'ers. This made everyone look at eachoter and it was epic.
    Not only that, raiding was exclusive and there was only one difficulty mode. Also made the game more epic and everyone knew the progress of each guild on the server"

Far different game.

The original developers were passionate to create an immersive world full of possibilities and multiple outcomes, player for player.

The current game is essentially a cookie-cutter outcome, every player gets the same tasteless, replicated cookie.

It's a shame the original dev's are gone. They had a passion for the true spirit of MMORPG's. The one's where other player's made everything happen as a collective whole; not just you running around as hero, again, solo (Sorry, LFG/LFR bots don't count).

Older WoW is where the adventure used to be.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2017-06-20 at 02:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the same, it's better, but at the same time certain things changed that have made it worse.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's the same, but changed. But more improved, more simplified and more advanced. Some things are still there, some things are not. But yea it's still WoW imo. Hard to describe exactly what I mean...but it isn't an entirely different game. Still the same, but a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    It's the same, but changed. But more improved, more simplified and more advanced. Some things are still there, some things are not. But yea it's still WoW imo. Hard to describe exactly what I mean...but it isn't an entirely different game. Still the same, but a bit different.
    Yet worse. Improved UI, yet worse overall.

It is a very different game. /agree

I think Blizzard should act on their own official Legacy thread, which is still active, BTW.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749678358

However anyone feels about the subject, it's still an officially active thread, one Blizzard is gauging to see why their retail game isn't doing as well as they thought it would.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2017-06-20 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Yet worse. Improved UI, yet worse overall.
    Completely subjective. I strongly disagree with you.

Also, you can't state as fact that today's developers are less "passionate" about the game than the original ones. You don't know them personally to make said statement. And no, pointing at the "state of the game" is meaningless, for two reasons: one, being 'passionate' does not shield one from making mistakes; and two, being 'passionate' does not mean "all their decisions will match my tastes".

Same name, same "universe". About it tbh.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.