Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleZero View Post
    The first post already gave excellent advice. 1440p 144 hertz is the way to go. 1080p 144 if you want to save money.

https://www.amazon.com/SWIFT-PG278Q-...words=asus+rog

is the one i am using, which i can recommend wholeheartedly.

Cheaper 1080p alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-1920x...s=asus+vg248qe

Thats the monitor i used before, which i use as my 2nd monitor now.

Word on G-Sync: Its an overhyped feature imo. Both monitors are gsync compatible but i have it turned off since i notice no difference at all. I have never seen any sort of tearing on a 144 hertz screen and i am very sensitive to these kinds of things.
    Actually tearing is the least valuable feature of gsync. If you are worried about tearing all you need is fast sync, this is supported on 9 and 10 series of cards and it functions like vsync off but provides no tearing.

What makes gsync good is even at lower FPS the game is gonna look nice, thats why its a great investment in your PC. 3 years down the line a game comes out that you wanna play but you are only getting 50 fps, boom gsync no worries, game plays and looks good even at a lower FPS.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    What makes gsync good is even at lower FPS the game is gonna look nice, thats why its a great investment in your PC. 3 years down the line a game comes out that you wanna play but you are only getting 50 fps, boom gsync no worries, game plays and looks good even at a lower FPS.
    You know, i have heard this before but when i tested this myself on several games that were locked at 60 fps i noticed no difference whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, i have heard this before but when i tested this myself on several games that were locked at 60 fps i noticed no difference whatsoever.
    Of course that's the main thing about what the OP is asking that means we should be cautious in how we phrase our answers.

A lot of us "noticing no difference" can be entirely subjective.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Well of course you wont get the smoothness that high hz provides (most people confuse that with gsync), but when dipping under 60 FPS you wont get the stuttering that is associated on monitors when you drop below vsync.

Gsync makes your PC last longer, or to put another way allows you to spend less on a video card....essentially.

The first post already gave excellent advice.
    It answered none of my questions. They still haven't been answered.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Well of course you wont get the smoothness that high hz provides (most people confuse that with gsync), but when dipping under 60 FPS you wont get the stuttering that is associated on monitors when you drop below vsync.
    It might be true that gsync helps alot on 60 hertz monitors. I have never tested this myself so i cant comment. Im only referring to 144 hertz, where i could discern no improvement no matter the FPS (again im very sensitive)

On the contrary actually. G-Sync introduces a very visible (and very annoying) flickering effect on completely static images.

Its explained here: http://techreport.com/news/27449/g-s...s-and-here-why

This was extremely noticable in some games that i played and its the main reason why i turned gsync off.

Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    It answered none of my questions. They still haven't been answered.
    The colors are good on both screens (a bit better on the 1440p i linked) theyre both height adjustable and matte.
    Last edited by TripleZero; 2017-06-15 at 06:18 AM.

It might be true that gsync helps alot on 60 hertz monitors. I have never tested this myself so i cant comment. Im only referring to 144 hertz, where i could discern no improvement no matter the FPS (again im very sensitive)

On the contrary actually. G-Sync introduces a very visible (and very annoying) flickering effect on completely static images.

Its explained here: http://techreport.com/news/27449/g-s...s-and-here-why

This was extremely noticable in some games that i played and its the main reason why i turned gsync off.

The colors are good on both screens (a bit better on the 1440p i linked) theyre both height adjustable and matte.
    You aren't getting what im saying, read again.

10+ Year Old Account
    As of right now I'd probably choose between these 2 monitors:

LG 27UD68P
    - 4K, IPS, Freesync, 60Hz

or

Acer XF270HUA
    - 1440P, IPS, Freesync, 144Hz

Not sure about G-sync monitors. There might be versions of these that have it, but they're likely more expensive.

I used this one for a couple of years, it was reviewed pretty good, still use it as my 2nd screen using a 1440p 144hz (it can even go upto 165hz) PG278Q as my main screen now which is an awesome screen, problem is there are some duds in this lineup and you may need exchange it if the first one has some defects.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    You aren't getting what im saying, read again.
    What youre saying is frankly not true. Thats why i have ignored it :-)

OK so... I'm going to clarify the original post, and what my questions are:

- If I ONLY play WoW (99% of my gaming) and HATE FPS games. I will only ever play RPGs, HoTS, and maybe like... Sim-city crap.
    - If I care about color accuracy and picture quality (but NOT viewing angles since 25.5 TN seems fine with me)
    - If I was playing on a 60Hz screen at 30 FPS for years, and 60 FPS for months with V-Sync on and noticed no tearing/adverse affects
    - I'm NOT going 1080P, no point. I will most likely NOT go ultra-wide 1440 unless I window WoW to 2160x1440

Will GSync matter much?
    Will 144Hz matter much?

Would you (in my situation) prioritize a 144Hz 1440P screen even if it has Freesync?
    Would you (in my situation) prioritize GSync for what limited gaming I do?

Would a 60 Hz 4K monitor do better as far as picture quality goes, especially since AA can be turned down/off with the higher res?

15+ Year Old Account
    OK so... I'm going to clarify the original post, and what my questions are:

- If I ONLY play WoW (99% of my gaming) and HATE FPS games. I will only ever play RPGs, HoTS, and maybe like... Sim-city crap.
    - If I care about color accuracy and picture quality (but NOT viewing angles since 25.5 TN seems fine with me)
    - If I was playing on a 60Hz screen at 30 FPS for years, and 60 FPS for months with V-Sync on and noticed no tearing/adverse affects
    - I'm NOT going 1080P, no point. I will most likely NOT go ultra-wide 1440 unless I window WoW to 2160x1440

Will GSync matter much?
    Will 144Hz matter much?

Would you (in my situation) prioritize a 144Hz 1440P screen even if it has Freesync?
    Would you (in my situation) prioritize GSync for what limited gaming I do?

Would a 60 Hz 4K monitor do better as far as picture quality goes, especially since AA can be turned down/off with the higher res?
    1. If you only care about RPGs, 144Hz isn't going to matter much one way or another. It tends to only make a notable difference in fast-paced games, like shooters.
    2. Color accuracy generally is favored by IPS panels, which can often have backlight bleed. TN Panels with better color accuracy are potentially fine for your use case.
    3. If you were playing at 30FPS on a 60Hz screen, and did not notice screen tearing, there are two potential factors. Either you don't notice screen tearing in general, or the games you were playing didn't display the tearing in an obvious manner.
    4. Then you're either looking for a 60Hz 4K monitor, or a 1440p Monitor. If you try 4K, I would shell out a bit extra for one with crisp color accuracy.

Both Gsync and 144Hz seem to be something you wouldn't take note of on your monitor anyway, so I would skip these features. As far as Freesync goes, it will only work with an AMD video card, as does Gsync with NVidia, so take that into account when making your purchase. 4K monitors do display less aliasing because of the exceedingly high pixel density (I think), so you would probably be able to turn off Anti-Aliasing in many games, but bear in mind that UI elements tend to be very tiny and difficult to read in some games at that resolution as well.

Advent, thanks. Familiar with the Freesync/Gsync reqs, but if Gsync isn't going to help me, I'm not paying $200 extra for it on a monitor. Since freesync is free/open source(?) it has no effect on price.

1 - That was what I was thinking, but wanted confirmation. Thanks for that.
    2 - Any suggestions for color accurate TNs? I know the DG2716 *can* have banding issues, but only a few people get that defect. Will a 60Hz LG panel have the same backlight/QC issues as the AUO 144hz panels?
    3 - As for screen tearing, like I said, I've basically exclusively played WoW (with a bit of HOTS/Diablo 3) since vanilla release. I haven't *noticed* tearing at all, and VSync was always on, for what I remember. I know it's been on since MOP was released and I came back to the game. if it's been there, I haven't seen it at all.
    4 - Any suggestions on models? Either 4K or 1440?

Stood in the Fire KrotosTheTank's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Advent, thanks. Familiar with the Freesync/Gsync reqs, but if Gsync isn't going to help me, I'm not paying $200 extra for it on a monitor. Since freesync is free/open source(?) it has no effect on price.

1 - That was what I was thinking, but wanted confirmation. Thanks for that.
    2 - Any suggestions for color accurate TNs? I know the DG2716 *can* have banding issues, but only a few people get that defect. Will a 60Hz LG panel have the same backlight/QC issues as the AUO 144hz panels?
    3 - As for screen tearing, like I said, I've basically exclusively played WoW (with a bit of HOTS/Diablo 3) since vanilla release. I haven't *noticed* tearing at all, and VSync was always on, for what I remember. I know it's been on since MOP was released and I came back to the game. if it's been there, I haven't seen it at all.
    4 - Any suggestions on models? Either 4K or 1440?
    I've personally been a fan of HP or Dell monitors, their more professional IPS ones, I value color accuracy though. Both are quite reliable. I have a 2k Dell ZDisplay at work and I have thought about dragging it home many times.

Also, as Advent mentioned, you want to be cautious of icons and UI elements with 4k displays, my 3kx2k screen on my surface is brutal on items that don't scale. Personally, I wouldn't go below a 27" for 2k and I think a 32" is bottom end for a 4k, again, imo though.

Yeah, I'm not going below 27" period, but was considering a 28" 4K. From what I understood, Win10 scales well, and the displays I saw on... display... seemed to at least have a normal sized desktop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrotosTheTank View Post
    I've personally been a fan of HP or Dell monitors, their more professional IPS ones, I value color accuracy though. Both are quite reliable. I have a 2k Dell ZDisplay at work and I have thought about dragging it home many times.

Also, as Advent mentioned, you want to be cautious of icons and UI elements with 4k displays, my 3kx2k screen on my surface is brutal on items that don't scale. Personally, I wouldn't go below a 27" for 2k and I think a 32" is bottom end for a 4k, again, imo though.
    I'm kinda in the same boat - been playing since day 1, only really play wow - have a Dell U3011 for my gaming monitor (2560x1600, 60hz IPS) - capable of upgrading to whatever, but I do not play FPS's, and I really have no complaints about my monitor.

Not 100% certain what I would even upgrade to...

You're not going to consistently maintain 110+ FPS in WoW at 1440p, even if you had a 1080 Ti, at least without severely tuning down settings. In large raids or areas with weirdly messed up graphic optimization like Suramar, you probably won't hit above 50. So, at least some element of a 144 Hz monitor will be wasted/not used to full potential. GSync is something that is highly subjective whether you notice it or not or find it improves your experience or not. I do find it noticeably makes things feel smoother - even in WoW. It's kind of something that you have to see in action before really understanding.

If you only care about WoW gaming, 4k/60 Hz is a perfectly reasonable option and looks really good. Windows scaling is fine at 4K; there's just a few apps that behave badly (Battle.net app used to be one of them before it was updated). Just be aware that for stuff other than WoW on a 1070, you'd probably need to tone back graphics detail levels to play at 4k, since it's generally acknowledged that 1080 Ti is the needed performance level for 4K on current tier games (Witcher 3, GTA5, etc.)

OP, I would go with a 4K 60hz monitor. I found one a few years back from LG and it was a 28" 4K 60hz with a 1ms response time. It will probably cost you less now than what I paid but at the time, it cost 600 bucks.

I liked using for some games because 4k with no AA looks really good, but I like playing FPSes a lot so I got a 144hz 1080p monitor. For you, 4k 60hz all the way.

I wouldn't go with 4k with a 1070. It would be fine for WoW, but that's about it. Stick with a 1440p. Also, 144hz for WoW is not needed.

Personally, I would look for G-Sync. If you have tearing issues, instead of having V-Sync cut your FPS to 30 to avoid taring, it will just adjust your monitors refresh rate to the FPS you are getting. So if you are getting 50FPS in something, with V-Sync you'd be seeing 30FPS, but with G-Sync you'd be seeing 50. That's the benfit og G-Sync. If you don't have tearing issues, no need to worry about G-Sync. If you do have tearing issues, you really want it.

To the poster saying he noticed no differene in G-Sync locking games to 60 FPS, on a 60hz monitor, lock a game to 50 FPS and then compare GSync to VSync. With VSync, you'll be seeing 30FPS. With GSync, you'll be seeing 50 FPS.
    If you are running a 144hz monitor, make sure it's a game that normally exceeds 144FPS and lock FPS to 130 and compare GSync to VSync. With VSync, you'll be seeing 72FPS, with GSync you'll be seeing 130.
    THAT is the point of GSync.

So for me, if I was in your position, and actually what I was planning on doing last Feb anyway but had some car and house issues crop up that killed my budget, would be to get a 1440p 144hz G-Sync Monitor. Personally, I was thinking of two of these:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4ENDXR/?tag=pcpapi-20 along with 2 1070s, one pair for me, one for my wife.

Well, I prefer 144Hz gaming monitor with G-Sync Technology. It is the best choice for gaming. I like Asus VG248QE gaming monitor and I want to buy it.