Thread: Great Rooms?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Great Rooms?

Ive recently bought a new home and noticed that a lot of people are renaming rooms.

The one that annoys me the most and makes me rage is when they call something a "Great Room" (Never even heard the term prior to about 2005). Thats been used in the last 10 years to describe a large multipurpose room near the entrance (most normal people call them a family room or living room). Its mostly uppity and snooty middle-aged women that use the term, thinking that it will raise the value of the home and it pisses me off. I refused to buy a home from anyone who used this term.

In my opinion, the only room designations that should be allowed are:

Kitchen
    Dining Room
    Bathroom
    Bedroom
    Living Room/Parlor
    Foyer
    Basement/Cellar
    Family Room
    Mud Room
    Office

Anything else should not be allowed to be used for the purposes of listing a house for sale. Because otherwise you could call any room anything you want to and mislead the buyer.

Its like when they call a house a 4 bedroom house and then you go look at it and 2 of the bedrooms would only have about 6 inches of space between the walls and a twin bed. Those should be called closets and not bedrooms. It would save buyers a lot of time because they can filter out bullshit like that and not waste their time going to see a house that claims it has 4 bedrooms and only has 2.

Anyone else hate the made up term "Great Room"? I dont know why but just hearing some snooty person say the name is like nails on a chalkboard to me

I've got bigger battles to fight.

Grats on the new house.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Mud room? I have no idea what that is.

I have a 'utility room' in my house, which is a smaller room with the boiler and my fridge-freezer. Connected to my kitchen (separated by a door), which leads to the back door.

EDIT - Googled mud room, understand what it is now, its a similar use I have in terms of shoes/jackets there in the 'ol utility room.
    Last edited by mmocf5062b794a; 2017-06-15 at 01:29 PM.

Hmm...Mud rooms used to be from the outside door that leads to a small room with drainage and water faucet/hose that cleaned off the shoes/boots. Did that change?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Ive recently bought a new home and noticed that a lot of people are renaming rooms.

The one that annoys me the most and makes me rage is when they call something a "Great Room" (Never even heard the term prior to about 2005). Thats been used in the last 10 years to describe a large multipurpose room near the entrance (most normal people call them a family room or living room). Its mostly uppity and snooty middle-aged women that use the term, thinking that it will raise the value of the home and it pisses me off. I refused to buy a home from anyone who used this term.

Kitchen
    Dining Room
    Bathroom
    Bedroom
    Living Room/Parlor
    Foyer
    Basement/Cellar
    Family Room
    Mud Room
    Office

Anything else should not be allowed to be used for the purposes of listing a house for sale. Because otherwise you could call any room anything you want to and mislead the buyer.

Its like when they call a house a 4 bedroom house and then you go look at it and 2 of the bedrooms would only have about 6 inches of space between the walls and a twin bed. Those should be called closets and not bedrooms. It would save buyers a lot of time because they can filter out bullshit like that and not waste their time going to see a house that claims it has 4 bedrooms and only has 2.

Anyone else hate the made up term "Great Room"? I dont know why but just hearing some snooty person say the name is like nails on a chalkboard to me
    The funny thing is, unless it the room was intended from the initial building of the house as a Kitchen, or a bathroom in regards to plumbing, any room in the house, is just a room. You decide on it's purpose. My old roommates took the empty 3rd bedroom of our apartment and turned it into an Art room. the apartment is listed as a 3 bedroom, but really, it could be used as a 1 bedroom, and the other 2 rooms could be used for whatever you want.

So, I agree. Naming spare rooms beyond the kitchen and bathroom is nothing but a scam.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmm...Mud rooms used to be from the outside door that leads to a small room with drainage and water faucet/hose that cleaned off the shoes/boots. Did that change?
    Nope. Thats exactly what they are. Also a lot of people use them to take their shoes off and keep them there to keep the carpet clean throughout the house

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No its the same thing. Always just did this on the porch or carport or garage.... Only useful in very cold areas were taking your shoes off you could get frost bite...

10+ Year Old Account
    Additionally. My current apartment has a "Breeze Way" This is generally a room which connects two parts of the house. We use ours as my g/f's Ceramic's Studio. The room is about the size of my livingroom, so it is a great place for her to work, and it has windows wall to wall. So she can get some nice natural light, and fresh air while she works.

A rooms name =/= it's mandatory use.

RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

A name's a name dude. Get over yourself.

humanity needs to be aborted

Kitchen
    Dining Room
    Bathroom
    Bedroom
    Living Room/Parlor
    Foyer
    Basement/Cellar
    Family Room
    Mud Room
    Office

No love for a den?
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

7+ Year Old Account
    Den of Mortal Delights

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Isn't a den a family room?
    Maybe? My grandparents had a room off the kitchen with a bunch of chairs and couches that I'd consider a family room, but then they had another room with a couch and a TV they called the den.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Additionally. My current apartment has a "Breeze Way" This is generally a room which connects two parts of the house. We use ours as my g/f's Ceramic's Studio. The room is about the size of my livingroom, so it is a great place for her to work, and it has windows wall to wall. So she can get some nice natural light, and fresh air while she works.

A rooms name =/= it's mandatory use.
    Regardless of what its called, this place looks beautiful.

Deleted

You are American and your simple language lacks the subtlety we have across the pond.

The fact you find our language too complex is amusing, yet disappointing from a certain perspective.

Thanks for your opinion.

Kitchen
    Dining Room
    Bathroom
    Bedroom
    Living Room/Parlor
    Foyer
    Basement/Cellar
    Family Room
    Mud Room
    Office

They are called great rooms because Family Room was offensive to those without a family.

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    You are American and your simple language lacks the subtlety we have across the pond.

The fact you find our language too complex is amusing, yet disappointing from a certain perspective.

Thanks for your opinion.
    My takeaway from this is that we need to go back to adding an unnecessary "u" to words like honour, valour, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    They are called great rooms because Family Room was offensive to those without a family.
    Wouldn't calling it a great room than be offensive to people who aren't great?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    My takeaway from this is that we need to go back to adding an unnecessary "u" to words like honour, valour, etc.

Wouldn't calling it a great room than be offensive to people who aren't great?
    Now that you mention it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    I have a room called "the masturbation room" in my house.

Does that make it great?
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.