Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    5) Generation Next (Age of Apocalypse) - Poor kids in a literal apocalyptic hellscape got sacrificed by their teacher Colossus who couldn't give 2 shits about them in order to save his sister

4) Shadowcat (Age of Apocalypse) - Got trampled by her husband Colossus who was trying to save his sister (notice a theme with this asshat.) She thought he loved her enough to stop that she didn't even use her powers to phase through him.

3) Aeris - yeah, we all took this one in the feels 20 years ago.

2) Dobby the house elf - Seriously the only genuinely 100% good character in the books who had no ulterior motive. At least he died a free elf.

1) Professor Xavier (Logan) - God I was literally in tears at that moment
    Anyone else think Jaime Lannister only has the Kingslayer title because he was just too lazy to kill the king on heroic mode?

7+ Year Old Account
    5) Fuma (X-The Movie)
    4) Kamui (X/1999)
    3) Danny Archer (Blood Diamond)
    2) Severus Snape (Deathly Hallows 2)
    1) Varian Wrynn (WoW)

Ranked by the amount of snot and tears I produced.

I don't think I could rank these, so in no particular order.

Odessa Silverberg (Suikoden 1) Gremio might've turned up here but 108 stars ending kinda negates the impact. It's main impact comes from the suddenness, which speaks well to the nature of war. One second you're chatting with her about her motivations, the next you're dumping her body into an underground stream.

Snape (Harry Potter) most go for Dobby or Dumbledore.. but I side with snape on this, especially when the truth is revealed in his memories to his true allegiance.

Aeris (FF7) You always remember your first >.>

Neil Dylandy (Gundam 00) there are plenty of other Gundman characters I could pick, and it's not his death but the aftermath that makes the impact. As he did go out on his own terms, but haro's "Lockon.. Lockon.. Lockon." hits the nail on the head for me.

Maes Hughes (FMA) The funeral, and the Daughter.. the whole scene makes it rain on a clear sunny day.

10+ Year Old Account
    1- Aerith from FF7 her death is the saddest for me.

2- Galuf from FF5 his sacrifice for his grand daughter and surpassing his own limit by fighting Exdeath even after receiving fatal wounds super sad death for me.

3- Nicholas Wolfwood from the anime Trigun I really liked him so much his death was so unexpected and so sudden.

4- Zalbag from FFT the way you fight him as a zombie and his final farewell telling you to take care of his little sister Alma is just...damn the saddness and the sound track made me even sadder.

Raistlin Majere in Test of the twins (Weis and Hickman)

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Littlefoot's Mom in The Land Before Time.

Nothing could ever be any sadder than that.

Deleted
    Besides Varian most of the deaths that I found sad were from the First Law series by Joe Abercrombe;

Rudd Threetrees, Forley the Wakest, Tul Duru Thudnerhead, Harding Grimm

Tul Durus especially, sort of saw it coming but didn't expect it at the same time.

Star Trek: Spock's death.
    Excalibur: Lancelot's death.
    Lord of the Rings: Gandalf's death.
    Gran Torino: Eastwood's death.
    Clannad Afterstory: Nagisa's death.

Stand by Me, when you find out Chris Chambers died after working so hard to beat the expectations of everyone that knew his family.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Wash / Shepard Book - Serenity

Pretty much every death in Ori and the Blind Forest.
    The future belongs not to those who wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    So, recently I started watching the anime series RWBY. By the end of season 1, I got attached to Pyrrha Nikos. And by the end of season 3, I was made super sad. =(

So, with that said, it got me thinking of other characters I've taken a liking to in the past that didn't make it nearly as long as I had hoped they would. And what other people have as their top 5 list! I'll go from #5 to #1.

My Top 5 Saddest Fictional Deaths

#5 : Shadow - Final Fantasy VI

Though you could speculate that perhaps he doesn't die, all evidence would appear to point to Shadow not making it out of Kefka's Tower. Leaving behind his trusty friend and ultimate badass dog Interceptor and the daughter he never knew in Relm, Shadow's already sad tale comes to a sadder end. Also he's a ninja. That's extra sad.
    This was definitely a sad one for me when I was a kid. So much so that I never let him die on future playthroughs. It was also highly implied that he was that artist girls dad. That only made it more important I couldn't let him die.

Other heart wrenching deaths for include half of the deaths on Lost. Even locke was tricked into killing himself for essentially nothing and was denied his destiny. He was my favourite to lead but it didn't work out that way...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Trull Sengar in Reaper's Gale
    So many deaths in MBotF are gut-wrenching.

Duiker getting crucified is another notable one, because he wasn't even a combatant.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    G-Baby in Hardball

Resident Cosplay Progressive

1. John Marston, RDR. I actually cried, and went searching for alternate endings where he'd live.
    2. Ysera, World of Warcraft. I cried like a baby, probably a combo of the cinematic and music rather than actual investment in the character on my end.

Don't have a 3, 4 and 5 that I can think of.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't think of five right now but.. the one that always kills me.

Private Tracey - Firefly - "When you can't run anymore, you crawl, and when you can't do that...well, yeah, you know the rest."
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Ace-One Piece, that shit made me cry

Nate Fisher - Six Feet Under - I can never watch this show again because it was way too sad
    Joss Carter - Person of Interest
    The clone/original? John Crichton - Farscape - It was like watching the only Crichton die
    Hodor - Game of Thrones
    Lucius Vorenus - Rome

I would put Ragnar Lothbrok from Vikings, but his death only became super sad when the show revealed his death to his sons