Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    Kamina - Gurren Lagann
    Underrated post.

Kamina's death caught me completely off-guard. I ended up stopping the series right there and couldn't even look at any anime for weeks after that episode.

I picked the series back up not too long after, but holy shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Optimus Prime:
    He was my childhood hero, one of them, and seeing him die in such a tragic and unironic way in an animated series, i don't think my young brain could even register all the other characters deaths after on how bad it was seeing optimus turn black and his head fall to one side.

Snape:
    Most underestimated character in the series, just learning of his love for lily potter, how it tore him apart, how it motivated him, and everything he did, was to ensure harry survived, he did it all for her, just made his death the most tragic.

Aeris:
    She was the shining beacon of light in the ff7 storyline, simple and kind, and only wanting to stop what evil befell the world she loved, just from dialog alone she became a character everyone loved, and just to have her die in such a sudden and unexpected way was shocking for everyone.

Tera from Buffy the vampire slayer:
    Willow and Tera were the sweetest couple, and tera in her and willow realizing theie attraction for one another, in a time when such a relationship wasn't heard of on tv, it was also tera dealing with her anxiety, rediscovering herself, only just to have her die so suddenly, I just kept hoping, wishing for her to be brought back somehow, but it never happened.

Logan:
    While as a comic book fan i know comic book characters come back all the time, comic book universes are rebooted and start over letting us rediscover our fav heroes, and wolverine is no exception. But it was more the fact that hugh jackman gave us this role for 17 years, just made it actually feel like an ending, the death of this version of wolverine everyone loved, knowing we'd never see another movie version of him, either again or ever quite the same. This was jackmans role, and he bowed out from it with dignity.
    #boycottchina

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    1) Littlefoot's Mom in The Land Before Time.

Nothing could ever be any sadder than that.
    Seriously. I still cry when I watch that. I cry harder now actually since now I AM a mom.

7+ Year Old Account
    I can only think of 3 moments which made me cry.

1. Lee Everett from Telltales The Walking Dead

I think anyone who has played this game will tell you how sad the ending is to this great game. I first saw this ending when a friend linked me a clip of Pewdiepie crying from this scene. At the time I wasn't interested in playing the game. At some point I watched a playthough of the full game and at the end I cried. I then played the game for myself, got to the end and I bawled my eyes out.

2. Claire from Professor Layton and the Lost Future (Unwound Future)

This needs an explanation because it might be confusing for some people.

In this game, you receive a letter from a future version of Luke, the Professors apprentice which instructs them to find a clock shop which will send them into the future. While in this future, Layton notices a woman walking past them which he is shocked by because she looks exactly like his girlfriend Claire who died in an experiment for time travel that went horribly wrong. Layton and the gang end up getting into some trouble with a mafia gang and are saved by the woman that Layton thought was Claire but she explains that she is in fact Celeste, Claires sister. As the game progresses, we see cutscenes of the Professor and Claire in the past while they were dating and we see that they were in love with each other, but unfortunately that relationship was cut short due to the accident. At the end of the game and many twists later, it is revealed that Celeste is in fact, Claire, who was actually sent 10 years into the future when the accident occured, at this point in time, it is now the present and her body is beginning to fade back to the moment where the accident occured which would lead her to her death. Layton and Claire share a moment and as Claire is about to leave, Layton breaks down and refuses to accept that she is about to go back and die, but theres nothing they can do about it. She then walks around the corner and disappears, which causes Layton to cry and take off his hat. Just seeing the Professor react in a manner that is not like him was hard to see which made it all the more sad. This was in fact the first game to make me cry at.

3. Hodor from Game of Thrones

Hodor was such a lovable guy and it was really sad to see him go. I found it really upsetting to see how he was only able to say one word, that being "Hodor". Good job Hodor, you held that door well! Rest in Peace big guy.

Gorion - Baldur's Gate - I was petrified at the sight of such a reportedly powerful character being annihilated so early on.
    Lord Garithos - Warcraft 3 - He was just misunderstood. He knew that the Blood Elves couldn't be trusted.
    The Terminator - Terminator 2 - Drowning in molten lava just to be on the safe side. What a guy.
    Dumbledore - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - Self-explanatory. Kind of like Gorion, but with a lot more buildup.
    Zero - Megaman X - Megaman was never a medium for storytelling, but this was a nice little tale of sacrificing oneself for someone who has the potential to be even greater.
    Last edited by Hotmail; 2017-06-17 at 01:23 AM.

Yondu Udonta: GoTG 2 "He may have been your father boy, but he wasn't your daddy."

Rost: Horizon Zero Dawn "The strength to stand alone is the strength to make a stand. To serve a purpose greater than yourself."

Bobby: Supernatural "As fate would have it, I adopted two boys and they grew up great."

Draco: Dragonheart "To the stars, Bowen. To the stars."

Wash: Serenity "I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - the older brother. It hurt not just as someone that you're incredibly close to, but like I had lost a part of myself with how my left arm just felt numb the rest of the game.

Undertale - Monster Kid (sort of). Going the Genocide route, you pit yourself against a lot of monsters, but most you can justify somehow, "they attacked me" is at least some justification for mowing through them. Not Monster Kid. They do absolutely nothing but help you through the entire game, and if you can still treat that as "free xp" as the game puts it, you're the real monster. It doesn't help that it immediately proceeds the second toughest boss fight in the game, so you'll have to do it over and over and over.

The Walking Dead - Lee. Oddly enough the roughest one for me was my silent playthrough where they just exchange a glance and hold hands. Nothing more needed to be said.

Runescape - Guthix. A tragic tale of someone who only ever wanted to help people becoming what they hated most.

To The Moon - John. At least he finally made it. That whole game was a rollercoaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    5: Esdeath, Akame ga Kill! (Honestly I could make a list from that show alone...)

4: EVERYONE, Berserk

3: Kakyoin, JoJo's Bizzare Adventure

2: Sirius Black, Harry Potter

1: Zack Fair, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. That one had a huge impact on me. Since this was a prequel and you know its coming, it had the opportunity to build you up just to drive you into the ground. From the moment you and Sephiroth are sent on the mission to Nibelheim, you know there is no turning back. The way the final battle is treated, it even gives you a little bit of hope. I mean, in true Final Fantasy fashion you just slew a demigod, you can heal faster than these soldiers can come at you. But the moment you get hope it is shattered as your Digital Mind Wave breaks. Since that is represented by the friends Zack made during the course of the game, it feels like you are losing his memories. Cloud is there, you have to protect him, Aerith is waiting for you in Midgar. It was an immersive experience, a truly tragic and heroic death. I want to say that Zack lived a good life and died a good death, but he was too young and left so much work undone. Maybe that's why Cloud adopted Zack's life, because Cloud, in his already weakened state of mind, thought that it was so unfair that Zack died there. Such amazing writing, so sad and yet so amazing.

#1. Wash
    #2-5. King Varian Wrynn
    "Join S.H.I.E.L.D. Travel to exotic distant lands. Meet exciting unusual people... and kill them."
    -Hunter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Out of my head:

Arthas Menethil (WoW: WotLK)
    Ned Stark (GoT season 1)
    Lee Everett (Telltales Walking Dead season 1)
    Darth Vader (Star Wars episode IV: Return of the Jedi)
    Ben Parker (Spiderman)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anything has hit me as hard as Aeris in FF7. I was in my teens when that came out. She was by far my favorite character. I gave her the best loot, made her a summoner (that idea came from some demo disc a PS mag put out a while back, in it, she had several summons while nobody else did), and she was just basically my best char. I loved her. When it happened, it hit me so hard I dropped the controller as well as my jaw to the floor, and tears just started falling. My younger sister was watching me play at the time, I felt bad that she had to witness that. And witness my reaction lol.

I turned the game off. It took me almost 6 months before I could start it up again, and at that point I had to REWATCH that fucking scene because my save point was from right before it. To this day, I still can't listen to the Aeris Theme from the soundtrack, it makes me cry.

Compared to that, I can't say I've seen any fictional death that has even tugged on an emotional string.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by jstnw89 View Post
    When I committed to full renegade and killed Mordin
    Did this on my first ME3 play through. I felt so bad about it for weeks afterwards. Still do.

Also Anderson, his death was pretty hard hitting in Mass Effect 3 too.

Struggling to think of any other deaths I was sad about at the moment. I only really tend to care when I really know the character (Anderson had grown on me over the course of three games and Mordin in two. If they'd died in the game they were introduced I'd probably care less).

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    -Cyan's family in FF6, and the general poisoning of Doma
    -Glenn from Chrono Trigger (I always killed Magus to avenge him and for Frog to get revenge)
    -Logan from Logan
    -Vegeta (both his death at the hands of Frieza and when he sacrificed himself to Buu)
    -Grom Hellscream in WC3

Honorable mention to any dog that dies in movies (like Sam from I am Legend, that scene destroys me).

Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    1) Littlefoot's Mom in The Land Before Time.

Nothing could ever be any sadder than that.
    ....the little girl who did the voice of Ducky. Yeah, that was sadder.
    Anyone else think Jaime Lannister only has the Kingslayer title because he was just too lazy to kill the king on heroic mode?

I have no idea why, especially because it doesn't usually affect me much at all, but Zack's death in Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII made me really, really sad.

7+ Year Old Account
    5. Jack - Titanic
    4. Sirius Black - Harry Potter
    3. Dumbledore - Harry Potter
    2. Mufasa - The Lion King
    1. Logan - Logan
    - says Ralph

Christopher Walken - The Deer Hunter

The horse sinking in the swamp - The Never Ending Story

Jenny (not so much her, because she was a real douche bag flake of a character, but more so Forrest's sorrow) - Forrest Gump

John Coffey - The Green Mile

Me getting killed by the final boss on NES Ninja Gaiden (sends you all the way back to the beginning of 6-1) - Ninja Gaiden 1
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Deleted
    Don't want to spoil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Anakin Solo - Old Star Wars EU
    Mara Jade Skywalker - Old Star Wars EU
    Tara Maclay - Buffy
    Dr Janet Fraiser - Stargate SG-1
    Aerith - FF7