Poll: Should developers include graphic/resolution options on consoles.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Interesting watch for anyone who wants to know the differences.
    I exited the video the second dude said "high successful ps4 pro" Shit is literally not even selling 10% of the PS4s total sales since it came out. Highly successful my ass. I think the X fails for the exact same reason, the casuals are not jumping out to buy a system that plays the exact same games but costs significantly more money.

The Pro and X are probably going to be sitting there next to $200 PS4 slims and XB1Ss this holiday. The $200 versions are going to clean up those sales.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-07-16 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I exited the video the second dude said "high successful ps4 pro" Shit is literally not even selling 10% of the PS4s total sales since it came out. Highly successful my ass. I think the X fails for the exact same reason, the casuals are not jumping out to buy a system that plays the exact same games but costs significantly more money.

The Pro and X are probably going to be sitting there next to $200 PS4 slims and XB1Ss this holiday. The $200 versions are going to clean up those sales.
    The Pro and One X were never meant for the people who would rather buy a $200-$300 PS4 slim or XB1S. I would think this would be common sense/knowledge. Why do you feel the need to state the obvious? The Pro and One X are meant for people willing to spend the money on them and people who already have a 4K TV/Monitor or are planning on getting one. Thinking they will make up a large portion of each respective company's console sales is idiotic and anyone with half a brain realizes this. So the point of your post was what?

And if you can't be bothered to watch a video, then don't bother replying to it with your drivel. Short attention spans and post padding aren't needed. Kthnxbai.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I exited the video the second dude said "high successful ps4 pro" Shit is literally not even selling 10% of the PS4s total sales since it came out. Highly successful my ass.
    1 out of every 5 PS4's sold is a Pro, That is a 20% sell rate.
    https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/05/1-o...ass-1-million/

Every one of five PS4s sold is a PS4 Pro, the company’s Jim Ryan said. “It is way ahead of our expectations,” said Ryan.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    The Pro and One X were never meant for the people who would rather buy a $200-$300 PS4 slim or XB1S. I would think this would be common sense/knowledge. Why do you feel the need to state the obvious? The Pro and One X are meant for people willing to spend the money on them and people who already have a 4K TV/Monitor or are planning on getting one.
    The bolded isn't true, If it was they wouldn't also point out the benfits of having ether system on a 1080p TV.

Despite the marketing BS both Sony and Microsoft want these systems flying off the shelve. Nether company makes a niche product and expect niche sells, If it did then Sony would still be supporting the Vita and Microsoft would still be supporting the Kinect.

Both systems (more so the XB1X) cost way too much to make,ship in order for them to be niche products. I still expect there to reach a point where the only model you can buy new is the Pro/X and both stop with there OG/Slim models. Even if that point is a couple year's down the line.

That or they last just long enough to bridge the gap between current systems and PS4/XB2.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    xbox one x is more or less a next gen console anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The bolded isn't true, If it was they wouldn't also point out the benfits of having ether system on a 1080p TV.

Despite the marketing BS both Sony and Microsoft want these systems flying off the shelve. Nether company makes a niche product and expect niche sells, If it did then Sony would still be supporting the Vita and Microsoft would still be supporting the Kinect.

Both systems (more so the XB1X) cost way too much to make,ship in order for them to be niche products. I still expect there to reach a point where the only model you can buy new is the Pro/X and both stop with there OG/Slim models. Even if that point is a couple year's down the line.

That or they last just long enough to bridge the gap between current systems and PS4/XB2.
    Just bear this in mind though. PS4 had already sold around 40 million before the Pro came out.

https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/rel...16/160526.html

So the other 20 or so milion means 4 million of those were Pro's. Not bad for 8 months of the Pro being on the market but nothing spectacular considering how successful the line was in general. As you said 1 in 5 sold were a Pro. That means the other 16 million PS4 units were standard ones.

So basically 54-56 million at least are still on a Standard PS4.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/sony-a...es-sold-2017-6

So Zephyr is kind of correct. The Pro and the Xbox One X are more aimed at enthusiasts or those willing to shell out more money. Because most people it seems are happy with a Standard PS4 right now and don't seem intent on upgrading in the masses. As for the Xbox One X we have no clue until it launches.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-16 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Well, true. There will be some people who get them for better graphical fidelity at 1080p, but the main audience is going to be 4K TV/Monitor owners. That's the focus Sony and MS are going with mostly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    xbox one x is more or less a next gen console anyway
    Yes and no.

It can push a lot of stuff to 4K and make stuff look even better, but the consoles are still held back by older memory standards and the weak CPUs in them.

True next gen consoles will most likely have much more powerful CPUs, and a newer memory standard in them.....something like GDDRX or HBM2 memory. Also, hopefully they'll have SSDs as standard in them as well.

This video gives a little bit of insight into what the true next gen consoles need in order to be considered next gen:

Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2017-07-16 at 07:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ryzen is going to be tricky in reality. It's not a game changer. It'll be a various things that AMD has introduced that'd make a new set of hardware be a more significant jump. The problem with just Ryzen is they're HUGE. Ryzen is 192mm2 with each core being 44mm2 with 14nm node. A jaguar core is 3mm on 28nm, 2 nodes bigger. It also consumes a lot less power. Cat cores was the competition to Atom cores, which oddly enough during the time considering the constructor cores, the Cat cores won out. However that's old news.
    Either way though, Ryzen is actually pretty power efficient to begin with and reducing clocks to keep the power more in rein with what the current console power consumption is doable, power envelope (no idea about the new Xbox) should target around 150W or less if we're just going current trend.
    It still however may not make it financially viable. It would be one monolithic die if we were going with the same set up.

An APU using Infinity Fabric interconnect would be better on the die part so two dies would work as one, as already demonstrated by Epyc and Threadripper. I would imagine a 4c/8t Zen core die with a GPU die would be better financially and customization. It would be downclocked by a decent amount would be better for power consumption. It'd be kind of like a better Raven Ridge. Combined with some Vega architecture software / hardware changes that would make it a bit more efficient.