Thread: Wowhead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    You're a bit "special" aren't you? I assume you expect free Twitch subs as well because you give MMOC these informational posts? Come on now.

Wowhead is free to make money the way they see fit. It's a commercial site. Just like this one is.
    WowDB is fully functional alternative, so you could stop using Wowhead right now, if you wanted to. But you're not going to. Because you think everything should be free (for you) and everyone else on the Internet should serve your needs. That's not how anything works.

There are alternatives. Stop using wowhead if you don't like the site.
    Or you can use ublock and relish in no longer being a part of what makes them money.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicpot View Post
    Or you can use ublock and relish in no longer being a part of what makes them money.
    Sure. Or uMatrix if you want to have full control. Or you can buy their sub.
    Whatever works for you.
    The main thing being - you, the consumer have the power in this case.

Of course choosing to stay in the ad-riddled Internet complaining how much it sucks is your choice as well. But it's not a particularly good one.
    Last edited by Swordfish Trombone; 2017-06-19 at 09:10 AM.

Funny that you're posting here and and asking for alternatives. The MMOC DB is here: http://www.wowdb.com/
    A DB without user comments is pointless...
    up vdj qfi uh oj lbu ut vkgpe bfut ojhj tznh ojm mjls pgtu ovdp nnvpzl dvg!

Also using uBlock Origin, have not experienced any problems at all with WoWhead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

You're a bit "special" aren't you?
    found the white knight....
    I assume you expect free Twitch subs as well because you give MMOC these informational posts? Come on now.
    Wowhead is free to make money the way they see fit. It's a commercial site. Just like this one is.
    Still hes right.

WowDB is fully functional alternative, so you could stop using Wowhead right now, if you wanted to.
    You know what you wrote there is BULLSHIT. The strength and usefullness of wowhead lies in the USER COMMENTS.
    Delete them and wowhead would be dead tomorrow (thats why noone uses Wowdb).
    When you go to wowhead its because of the user comments plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    Or have both. Still loads in a second for me as well.
    I tried using both a while ago, and both wowhead and mmo-champs almost crashed my computer almost every time. I'd watch firefox go from not responding to fine and back half a dozen times over ~10 seconds before the site stabilized and I could use anything.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    I tried using both a while ago, and both wowhead and mmo-champs almost crashed my computer almost every time. I'd watch firefox go from not responding to fine and back half a dozen times over ~10 seconds before the site stabilized and I could use anything.
    Did you try a different browser? I've heard Firefox is incredibly heavy comparatively to other browsers.

Wowhead is a great site that I use a lot. I wouldn't use it without Ublock though.

Same as this site really

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    Did you try a different browser? I've heard Firefox is incredibly heavy comparatively to other browsers.
    I've thought about switching to Chrome a few times, I only really use it for Google-drive related projects, but I don't know how to transfer the ~100 tabs spread across 3 windows I use for my work over to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    found the white knight....

Still hes right.

You know what you wrote there is BULLSHIT. The strength and usefullness of wowhead lies in the USER COMMENTS.
    Delete them and wowhead would be dead tomorrow (thats why noone uses Wowdb).
    When you go to wowhead its because of the user comments plain and simple.
    Found another special one.
    Wowdb allows commenting, just like Wowhead - all the functionality is there.

But you just want to get to the content for free, you don't want to give anything back, you just want to bitch and moan because you somehow think every site should be here to serve your special needs.

Go to wowdb and start commenting. Guess what happens? Yeah, wowdb has user comments.
    The fully functioning alternative is there. Stop your pathetic whining and start using it.

Or you know, be miserable while Wowhead abuses you. Your call.

I have installed Ublock Origin specifically for Wowhead - I got tired of them cycling through ads until they find one I haven't specifically filtered yet. Origin took the entire fucking sidebar out, bam.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicpot View Post
    I would turn off ad-blocking if I felt they were doing something to earn that.
    Currently they are not doing that.
    And nor is this site.

Paying the sub should be about supporting them.
    It should not be required for a decent experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    I would turn off ad-blocking if I felt they were doing something to earn that.
    Currently they are not doing that.
    And nor is this site.

Paying the sub should be about supporting them.
    It should not be required for a decent experience.
    Turning off ad-blocking is generally a very bad idea.
    Sites normally have very little control over the ad content being displayed - and even if a site is doing something "good" - a bad ad could still sneak past and infect my system with malware. And I don't give that chance to anyone - so I will never stop blocking ads.. but.. I might subscribe to the site if I think it's good, if that option exists. But my ad-blocker stays on.

Turning off ad-blocking is generally a very bad idea.
    Sites normally have very little control over the ad content being displayed - and even if a site is doing something "good" - a bad ad could still sneak past and infect my system with malware. And I don't give that chance to anyone - so I will never stop blocking ads.. but.. I might subscribe to the site if I think it's good, if that option exists. But my ad-blocker stays on.
    I like the idea of supporting a site, but my ability to pay for something like a subscription is limited for various reasons.
    I don't have an issue with ads simply because of being ads, but there is absolutely something sites can do about the behaviour of their ads and the tracking.
    Someone told me in another thread that Reddit have their own in-house developed system, one behaving far better.
    There is no reason why many other sites can't do better, they just won't.
    A subscription to improve your service is just rewarding them.
    And I would be reluctant to do that even if I had the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Whenever I open wowhead and browse stuff on there i actually get disconnected from wow. It doesn't happen with any other sites for some reason. Wowhead seems to load all fucked up and lag out alot too. The scripting seems really fucked on it.

Softbottom <Game Over>
    Proudmoore

Found another special one.
    Wowdb allows commenting, just like Wowhead - all the functionality is there.

But you just want to get to the content for free, you don't want to give anything back, you just want to bitch and moan because you somehow think every site should be here to serve your special needs.

Go to wowdb and start commenting. Guess what happens? Yeah, wowdb has user comments.
    The fully functioning alternative is there. Stop your pathetic whining and start using it.

Or you know, be miserable while Wowhead abuses you. Your call.
    Oh you white you try again?
    #1 ofc mmoc useless db allows commenting - but why would you do write there?
    thats like starting a second wikipedia expecting everyone to write there. just plain dumb

#2 its about the comments that are already there

#3 I am not miserable but there is a thing called free speech and as such I am allowed to criticise things I like even if SJW like you dont like that.

Works fine for me and I don't have any adblocker and my computer is well out of date

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    #3 I am not miserable but there is a thing called free speech and as such I am allowed to criticise things I like even if SJW like you dont like that.
    HAHAHAHA you went there.. omg!
    Sure. Free speech warrior. The same works other way around. I can call your bullshit as well :-)

argh.. haven't laughed this much in ages..

So yeah, you just pretty much confirmed what I said. You're just leeching. And everyone should serve your needs. You're never going to post anything yourself. Nope, it just should be there magically for you. For free.

lawl

They seem to be doing a push now for getting people to buy premium accounts, and unfortunately they chose to annoy us into it. My hope is that when this marketing push ends, they'll also tone down the ads.

The other possibility is that a new WoW resource shows up to compete with WoWHead. It'd take some time to build a community, but the current ad situation on WoWHead would provide a perfect environment for people to switch.