Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    You're shorting the wrong pins.

The ones you're shorting are for a separate device, see the manual.
    There's a small "division" between the 3 pins on the left and the larger block on the right.

Adjust accordingly... so short the 3rd and 4th pin of the "bigger block".
    !!!!!!! My real life friend told me the same thing so I tried it and it worked!

I think I should reapply the thermal paste since I played with installing the fan so much, but maybe it's good enough...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    !!!!!!! My real life friend told me the same thing so I tried it and it worked!

I think I should reapply the thermal paste since I played with installing the fan so much, but maybe it's good enough...
    Pffft.... not even giving me credit or thanks, damned ingrate! -.-

Re-apply the paste.

Don't stock amd coolers come with a thermal pad pre applied ? Should be fine if that is true.

They use to come that way years ago anyway.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

If it has a thermal pad, once you've installed it once and turned the PC on, it's used up and needs to be cleaned off and replaced with new thermal compound.

I wonder how you clean the thermal paste off...I'm gonna have to google it. I'll go to Staples tomorrow to pick up a cheap bottle of thermal paste to reapply. And @Evildeffy thanks!!!

TaintedOne, it did come with it preapplied but I had such a hard time screwing the fan in that it came on and off a bunch of times.

Tiberria, I actually tried putting it in the case as you said but it was so annoying trying to get my GPU through the case holes in the back that I took it back out to try to start it up. I read in a few places that it's best to test the parts outside of the PC in case one is dead, so that's why I did it outside the case.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I wonder how you clean the thermal paste off...I'm gonna have to google it. I'll go to Staples tomorrow to pick up a cheap bottle of thermal paste to reapply. And @Evildeffy thanks!!!

TaintedOne, it did come with it preapplied but I had such a hard time screwing the fan in that it came on and off a bunch of times.

Tiberria, I actually tried putting it in the case as you said but it was so annoying trying to get my GPU through the case holes in the back that I took it back out to try to start it up. I read in a few places that it's best to test the parts outside of the PC in case one is dead, so that's why I did it outside the case.
    Just grab a bottle or spray can of 99% IsoPropyl Alcohol (can use lower but lower ones can contain oil base or other materials).

Then either use toilet paper or the paper towels you may have in your kitchen (those big rolls) then spray on either the CPU/Heatsink or on the paper and wipe it off.

Also grab a good syringe of thermal paste, preferably Arctic MX-4 or something in that class.

After having cleaned off the paste off of both sides you grab a bit of paper again and put on the 99% IPA on the paper and rinse the metal till the paper is almost no longer discolouring during rubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Just grab a bottle or spray can of 99% IsoPropyl Alcohol (can use lower but lower ones can contain oil base or other materials).

Then either use toilet paper or the paper towels you may have in your kitchen (those big rolls) then spray on either the CPU/Heatsink or on the paper and wipe it off.

Also grab a good syringe of thermal paste, preferably Arctic MX-4 or something in that class.

After having cleaned off the paste off of both sides you grab a bit of paper again and put on the 99% IPA on the paper and rinse the metal till the paper is almost no longer discolouring during rubbing.
    Thanks for the advice, I did as you said.

Fucking Staples didn't have thermal paste in store. The mofo sales associate told me to try Micro Center.....Micro Center is like a good 23 min drive from my house and I wanted to do things quickly today.

So I went to a local phone/computer repair shop that I always pass but never visited and they didn't sell thermal paste, and their only thermal paste were huge tubes that the guy said lasted them six months at a time, but the guy was indian and no Indian person can resist my charms so he hooked me up and gave me some.

So I reapplied the thermal paste, and did everything else. Connected the fans and all the other cables were a bit difficult, because none of the build videos went over those parts.

Build is complete. I'm posting from the computer, now.

I made a post in the "Post your setup" thread with the real final pictures. I'm not gonna lie, it's not that it was really hard doing it, but it certainly took some effort. For the first time at least, if I had to repeat the process it would probably take me 45 minutes. Maybe less.

Thanks for the help guys, I really REALLY appreciate it.

Congratz dude, now if you have spare time, work on that cable management! That or just enjoy the new computer :P