Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Channel 4 announce 50 Shades of Gay season

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-...-of-gay-season

The broadcaster will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the decriminalisation of homosexuality in a series of new programmes

Channel 4 is the latest broadcaster to announce a season of programmes to mark the 50th anniversary of the partial decriminalisation of homosexuality in the UK.

The 50 Shades of Gay strand will include a documentary of the same name fronted by Rupert Everett who will be giving us his own “personal and frank take on the developments in gay life in Britain since decriminalisation”.

Not Guilty reveals that it was far from plain sailing following the decriminalisation, showing how gay men continued to be persecuted as the 1967 Act inspired a backlash of homophobia, while Epidemic tells the story of an unlikely coalition of gay campaigners, Tory politicians, and pioneering doctors who banded together to fight AIDS in the 1980s.

Pop music’s role in “changing hearts and minds, bringing gay culture into the living rooms of Britain” is examined in Born This Way, while Britain’s Great Gay Buildings sees famous faces such as Simon Callow, Lord Waheed, Anna Richardson and Mary Portas “champion the buildings where extraordinary moments in Britain’s gay history took place”.

They’ll also be celebrating the anniversary online too, with All4 offering up a brand new series called Raised By Queers, fronted by Hollyoaks’ Kieron Richardson. He’ll be “exploring parenting in the LGBTQIA community and speaking to those who have been on this journey”.

As well as the new shows there’ll also be a slew of old Channel 4 favourites available on All4 including My Beautiful Launderette, Queer as Folk, Metrosexuality, Terry and Julian featuring Julian Clary, Sugar Rush, Cucumber, Banana and Muslim Drag Queens.
    Amazing how so much has changed in the UK in England and it's awesome Channel 4 are celebrating this

Seems odd to celebrate something like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    What's odd about celebrating a law getting squashed that imprisoned people for sexuality? We should celebrate society moving forward

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    What's odd about celebrating a law getting squashed that imprisoned people for sexuality? We should celebrate society moving forward
    Moving forward is fine. It's how you move forward that can be problematic

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Moving forward is fine. It's how you move forward that can be problematic
    And is this problematic?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What is odd about celebrating the end of senseless oppression that led to the death of men like Alan Turing?
    I think it would be a good idea to focus on people like Turing who were celebrated for reasons other than their sexuality, and persecuted because of it.

Channel 4's problems has always been that it promoted gay rights in the context of drag queens and very flamboyant in-your-face expressions of homosexuality. This tends to alienate people. For the same reasons I don't watch celebrity love island, sex is a private matter and overt displays of any kind of sexuality are generally vulgar.

And is this problematic?
    Yes it is. White pride seems to be wrong while black pride is praised.

I could equate this with sexuality. Maybe people should start to celebrate how awesome being straight is. Let's see how long that will until fascism.

If it had just happened, okay. Nothing odd about that. It's however 50 years ago. Most of the people here wasn't even alive at the time.

Deleted

I could equate this with sexuality. Maybe people should start to celebrate how awesome being straight is. Let's see how long that will until fascism.
    Is sexual pride being lopsided really all that problematic though?

10+ Year Old Account

oh yes, us poor oppressed white people we have had such hardship in life, let's throw us a festival, because to be a white man is truly to know pain in our mistreated history...

get out...
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Stupid argument. Pride movements of any type come from a place of oppression and overcoming that. What the fuck are white straight people overcoming that they need a parade?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Stupid argument. Pride movements of any type come from a place of oppression and overcoming that. What the fuck are white straight people overcoming that they need a parade?
    Maybe we should start parading because being called a racist and homophobic all time surely feels like oppression to me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    oh yes, us poor oppressed white people we have had such hardship in life, let's throw us a festival, because to be a white man is truly to know pain in our mistreated history...

get out...
    Gay people are not oppressed even though they sure like talking about it, stop living in the past.

get out...
    Sounds like you're projecting your own life of privilege on to others. You don't know what people have been through in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Is sexual pride being lopsided really all that problematic though?
    When does it stop? When being a white straight male is the new nigga?

Mods please, I don't mean to offend. It's just a word

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What is odd about celebrating the end of senseless oppression that led to the death of men like Alan Turing?
    That it shoudn't be celebrated. Whenever you celebrate something you think it's a special day, it shouldn't be a special day, it should be a normal day.

The only problem with homosexuals I see is their own entitlement, they want to feel special, so they do such a thing.
    I don't see any heterosexuals parades.
    Normal homosexuals are just loving each other in their homes, they don't have to parade about it or make special TV Shows/News.
    They'll still be considered as something odd as long as they act odd. Nowadays we have less and less bullies towards them, but if they(the ones who want to feel special) are going to act like that, then there's no doubt that homosexuality will be still seen as something weird.

It's similar case to the Women's Suffrage - no one talks(do parades/make news in the TV etc) about it nowadays because it's something normal.

I wish that there in the future will be world where everyone can love eachother without yelling about in on the streets.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2017-06-19 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Why would this be odd? People around the world celebrate events and change of laws that abolishes the suppression of a group, be it political (for example independence or women's suffrage), religious (reformation day, liberation of jews) or social (blacks).

get out...
    I am sure that if you think thoroughly about this you will find the mistakes about this.
    Let me give you a hint: if you put *all* white people under one hat, maybe, just maybe, following YOUR logic, people will put *all* people from a race/religion under one hat... and I'm sure you know where that leads.

Please don't be *that* guy.
    Don't be that guy who is just as racist/discriminative/ignorant as the ones you hate.
    Just.. don't hate anyone, ok?

It's not OK to hate, NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES!

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    That it shoudn't be celebrated. Whenever you celebrate something you think it's a special day, it shouldn't be a special day, it should be a normal day.

The only problem with homosexuals I see is their own entitlement, they want to feel special, so they do such a thing.
    I don't see any heterosexuals parades.
    They don't feel special, they are special, hence why the consentual homosexual act was even considered a crime and they went to prison for it. I don't remember heterosexuals going to prison for having consentual sex, so I don't see what they would have to celebrate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how I feel about this. To me it feels like "50 Years since we stopped being monsters", and celebrating it like it's somehow a good thing. Not that the US is any better, but I feel like laws like this are something we should quietly try to pretend didn't exist, and hope people forget in time. I understand the importance of remembering history certainly, but the more we focus on it, the more we make it a 'thing'

Then again, I'm also of the belief that I feel that particular groups should stop being focused on because of their differences. I hope for a day where we stop looking at people as black or white or brown, or straight of gay or trans, and just look at them as .... people. That's all they are, just people.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Maybe we should start parading because being called a racist and homophobic all time surely feels like oppression to me
    Oh wow. That must be terrible.
    I'll have your kin in my night prayers.