ilvl scaling... still here?

Howdy... been thinking about re-subbing for Tomb, but I'm curious if iLvl scaling is still a thing? If it is, have there been any more updates on Blizzard's thinking about it? I've dug around for blue responses on it and the most recent one I found was back a few months ago saying something like "Well, give us your feedback and we'll see."

Thanks in advance if you can point me to anything official, definitive, or recent on the topic.

It's extremely minor and not noticeable at all. They rolled back the ilevel scaling within a few days. It was one of those things the mouth breathers on the forums blew out of proportion as usual.

They removed damage scaling and reduced the health scaling, but it's still there. The rationale is that ilvl inflation is so bad this expansion that they had to apply a bandaid fix to prevent players from 1-shotting quest mobs (preventing other players from getting tags).

Deleted
    If you mean the hidden change that came with 7.2, it's completely gone now (I think they reverted it just a few days after the patch went live).

You can one shot normal mobs even on the Broken Shore with several abilities and some decent gear.

Quote Originally Posted by lanesia24 View Post
    It's extremely minor and not noticeable at all. They rolled back the ilevel scaling within a few days. It was one of those things the mouth breathers on the forums blew out of proportion as usual.
    hey, you're on the forum.

The ilvl scaling is still there. The health increase was scaled back while the damage increase was the only thing removed. The ilvl scaling even pre-nerf was non-linear which still kept gear progression. Better geared players still plow through mobs faster then lower geared players.
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...=151#post-3017
    Originally Posted by Ornyx

Thanks for the feedback on this issue. It’s clear that we need to make some changes here, so here are our current plans:

We’re removing the increase to damage dealt by creatures in the world. Our overall goal with this change is to keep the amount of time it takes to kill a creature from getting ridiculously short, and increasing the damage they deal is unnecessary for that goal. Instead, this was making you feel like they were becoming more dangerous, which was not our intent.
    We’re significantly reducing the rate at which creature health scales with your item level. Again, all we’re trying to do here is prevent cases where monsters die too quickly for players to react to their presence, particularly around World Quests. Our initial tuning was far more aggressive than it needed to be, which could make it feel like your upgrades weren't actually helping. This change will make it very clear that you are still becoming noticeably stronger than your enemies as your gear improves.
    Those two changes are already live, and you should be seeing them in-game now.
    Later today, we’ll be correcting a separate issue that’s causing unequipping an item to drastically alter the power of enemies you’re facing. The above changes make it so that’s never the right thing to do anyway, but this is still a strange/buggy interaction that needs to be fixed.

It should also be noted that this change was on the Patch 7.2 PTR (and has been since January). We didn’t communicate anything about it initially because we wanted to get testers’ raw and honest feedback about it when they encountered it themselves, rather than attempting to pre-empt or otherwise influence their opinions ahead of time. When that feedback never came, we assumed that meant it was an acceptable change – i.e., those who hadn’t noticed it weren’t bothered by it, and those who had noticed it thought it was fine. Clearly that was a false assumption, and we should have drawn attention to it later in the PTR cycle, so that we could have caught these issues before Patch 7.2 went live.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2017-06-19 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ckaelir View Post
    If you mean the hidden change that came with 7.2, it's completely gone now (I think they reverted it just a few days after the patch went live).

You can one shot normal mobs even on the Broken Shore with several abilities and some decent gear.
    it's not gone at all, mobs have different health on my 898/906/917 characters same mobs.

i don't really care generic questing mobs shouldn't trouble you unless your keyboard isn't working or you lost all your fingers in a serious industrial accident.

so what if my mobs have 1.5million more hp than mobs of an 860 player, i basically hit twice as hard and have more secondaries, and i have 50% more health.

The ilvl scaling is no big deal. idiots just blew it out of proportion

Quote Originally Posted by nekobaka View Post
    The ilvl scaling is still there. The health increase was scaled back while the damage increase was the only thing removed. The ilvl scaling even pre-nerf was non-linear which still kept gear progression. Better geared players still plow through mobs faster then lower geared players.
    Thanks for the link. I guess they're calling that that and keeping it in then.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandrassa View Post
    Thanks for the link. I guess they're calling that that and keeping it in then.
    Yeah I mean... It's honestly extremely necessary. The item leveling scaling is getting WAY out of hand this expansion. I understanding that mobs from the beginning of the game should be (and still are being) trivialized by the time you start getting good gear but like... one shotting max level mobs before the start of the second raid tier is a little excessive and it still happens today. My 900 item level warlock easily one shots most mobs I encounter by casting chaos bolt. My dk (before the nerf to Howling Blast and subsequent redistribution of damage) would one shot a lot of mobs with Rime proc'd howling blasts. If they didn't implement item level scaling that would very easily be happening much more (those examples are WITH item level scaling) and would be absolutely absurd by the time Argus raid is being farmed. Imagine one shotting mobs with even your weaker abilities. Warlocks one shotting things with conflag or mages with non-fingers ice lances or fireblasts or dks running around one shotting mobs with a ghoul melee or one cast of Death Coil. That would all very likely happen without the item level scaling they have in place. Since they want most or all of the content to remain relevant then they can't really have this happening. If they removed the relevancy of the older Broken Isles content this would not be as needed.
    Last edited by Hctaz; 2017-06-19 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by huehuehue View Post
    hey, you're on the forum.
    Yea. I'm not a mouthbreather. The people calling that change game breaking are. I understand it's hard for some people to differentiate the two but I explained it for you in case you were having trouble.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandrassa View Post
    Howdy... been thinking about re-subbing for Tomb, but I'm curious if iLvl scaling is still a thing? If it is, have there been any more updates on Blizzard's thinking about it? I've dug around for blue responses on it and the most recent one I found was back a few months ago saying something like "Well, give us your feedback and we'll see."

Thanks in advance if you can point me to anything official, definitive, or recent on the topic.
    I think It's been gone a while now, and It's good. As mentioned below It adds nothing, good, at, all. It's a scourge on RPGs and MMOs as well, as Is scaling In general. I know this doesn't specificlly target ilevel scaling, but scaling In zones Is what I never liked. Because that to me looks like a "Rogue-like" syndrome of just giving you mobs In an area that vaguely scale to your level, and that's It. And they don't tailor the zones, the areas, the mobs to you and the leveling experience. By rogue-like I menth how those games try to make randomized areas that aren't tailored but just randomly constructed by a computer and the succesful look of that area can varie by a lot. And that also hurts the story and just experiencing the game...

With zone scaling, we were able to jump from Stormheim, to Aszune, to whatever the other areas we wanted... just jump around willy nilly and then people are surprised they didn't understand the story of the zones. Ofcourse not, cause from the start the zones were TAILORED to go from Aszuna-Val'sharah-Highmounain-Stormheim and finally Suramar. If you went about It any other way the story confused you most likely, but then even when not going through the zones like that the stories still don't connect well with eachother.

In summary, scaling if any kind In WoW is BAD and Is a scourge on MMOs If not used In correct ways and so far Ive not seen scaling used In any meaningful good way In WoW and It only hinders the game and It's future.

Quote Originally Posted by lanesia24 View Post
    Really, so you think It's a good Idea? Please do explain. Because It takes away the fundemental core of the game, and that's gear aquisition and becoming more powerful, instead, that scaling makes mobs as strong as you no matter what gear you get outdoors (Doesn't apply to raids/dungeons, thank fudge) you'll still be the same level and It's only another example on the long list of RPG elements Blizzard Is taking away from their supposed "MMORPG"

Not only that, they said they wouldn't apply It for the same reasons I mentioned up above In a 7.0 Interview, and yet they tried to sneak It Into patch 7.2 thinking people won't notice, and break their promise as well. It's as If they dont know how an RPG or even an MMO should bloody work yet they're developers of It for almost 13 years now.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by TheVaryag View Post
    I think It's been gone a while now, and It's good. As mentioned below It adds nothing, good, at, all. It's a scourge on RPGs and MMOs as well, as Is scaling In general. I know this doesn't specificlly target ilevel scaling, but scaling In zones Is what I never liked. Because that to me looks like a "Rogue-like" syndrome of just giving you mobs In an area that vaguely scale to your level, and that's It. And they don't tailor the zones, the areas, the mobs to you and the leveling experience. By rogue-like I menth how those games try to make randomized areas that aren't tailored but just randomly constructed by a computer and the succesful look of that area can varie by a lot. And that also hurts the story and just experiencing the game...

With zone scaling, we were able to jump from Stormheim, to Aszune, to whatever the other areas we wanted... just jump around willy nilly and then people are surprised they didn't understand the story of the zones. Ofcourse not, cause from the start the zones were TAILORED to go from Aszuna-Val'sharah-Highmounain-Stormheim and finally Suramar. If you went about It any other way the story confused you most likely, but then even when not going through the zones like that the stories still don't connect well with eachother.

In summary, scaling if any kind In WoW is BAD and Is a scourge on MMOs If not used In correct ways and so far Ive not seen scaling used In any meaningful good way In WoW and It only hinders the game and It's future.
    Never really noticed any story issues, to me it felt like each zone had their own main story, on each char i leveled at the start of the expansion i took a different route trough the zones, and never i felt out of sync with the story to be honest. I actually like it very much that the zones werent linear, that i could group up and level with guildies a few levels below me and we could still quest / level in a nice way due to the scaling of the mobs in the leveling zones. That is a real plus to for me with this scaling system.

Really, so you think It's a good Idea? Please do explain. Because It takes away the fundemental core of the game, and that's gear aquisition and becoming more powerful, instead, that scaling makes mobs as strong as you no matter what gear you get outdoors (Doesn't apply to raids/dungeons, thank fudge) you'll still be the same level and It's only another example on the long list of RPG elements Blizzard Is taking away from their supposed "MMORPG"

Not only that, they said they wouldn't apply It for the same reasons I mentioned up above In a 7.0 Interview, and yet they tried to sneak It Into patch 7.2 thinking people won't notice, and break their promise as well. It's as If they dont know how an RPG or even an MMO should bloody work yet they're developers of It for almost 13 years now.
    i think the damage scaling was not needed, the HP scaling i think was. Esp in questing area's that were also WQ's around NH release questing to level a alt became pretty annoying with geared raiders one shotting mobs before you could get a tag in. Lower level players actually toon longer to complete quests due to this. The HP scaling made this situation a little bit better. On the other side of things, as a geared raider main the scaling was hardly noticeable, killing a mob in 1 GCD or 2 GCD's, not a big deal for a geared main. Heck, most of the players didn't even know the scaling was live until they read about it on the forums, and only got on the complain train after reading it.

They also didnt try to sneak it in really, if ppl actually paid attention, this change was on the PTR for for a month if not more. And only a handfull of player actually complained, while at times the PTR was packed with players.

All in all, should it have been in de patchnotes, imho yes, should they have scaled damage up, no, was it actually a big issue on the other hand, no, it was mostly a knee jerk reaction from players reading on a forum about this and then complaining, while it hardly had any impact on geared mains, and it was actually beneficial for leveling players fighting for mob tags with geared mains.

Given that the scaling is non-linear and serves mainly to slow down the absurd levels of ilvl inflation, any claims that the system removes gear progression is out right bullshit. A character with higher level gear is stronger than one in lesser gear. Just because the gap is not as wide does not mean character progression and the fundamental core of the game is being removed. Areas with ilvl scaling continue to get easier with better gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    If you're mostly interested in raiding than ilvl scaling is irrelevant because it has never and will never be a thing in actual raids.
    That's what she said about boosts

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    The ilvl scaling is no big deal. idiots just blew it out of proportion
    I think its good they did. One of our national politicians once said that "the art of reaching an agreement is to ask for 16 when you only need 8"

with blizzard´s track record, without any idiots blowing it out o proportion we would probably see never ending scaling 1 to 1 making gear irrelevant in the world and people wondering "what the hell happenned to the gear in this game?"

Ilvl scaling is a bandade for a problem they created. Its hardly noticeable because you kill mobs faster with better gear, but It is stupid in nature anyway.