Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Massive data leak on 198,000,000 registered US voters.

https://www.upguard.com/breaches/the-rnc-files

An RNC data firm called Deep Root Analytics left a massive cache of voter information unsecured on an Amazon server exposed to the internet and accessible by basically anyone with the address.

The data included names, dates of birth, addresses, phone numbers, voter registration details, voting records, from 2008 and 2012, as well as 2016 data from Ohio and Florida. The database also included ethnicity, religion, and other analytics done on Deep Root Analytics' part.

The analytics included ratings of how likely someone was to support a particular policy, with 46 policy categories.

This breach includes almost every single person who is registered to vote in the US.
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2017-06-19 at 05:46 PM.

Sucks i guess, i would not care personally though as i dont care at all what people think i vote for.

I know we can go the route of BIG conspiracy theories, but I will keep it more simple. I sort of want to laugh at when people bragged that the RNC could not be hacked, since they were the competent ones.

I think getting hacked and reading emails on the going behind of one party and another hack of our voter data are not on the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Sucks i guess, i would not care personally though as i dont care at all what people think i vote for.
    It's an issue because of the Russian interference and how the intelligence community is 100% expecting another massive propaganda campaign during the 2018 mid terms and 2020 election. That information being available to anyone who wanted to dig around just gave a gold mine worth of data to whoever snagged it to pin point target propaganda campaigns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    I know we can go the route of BIG conspiracy theories, but I will keep it more simple. I sort of want to laugh at when people bragged that the RNC could not be hacked, since they were the competent ones.

I think getting hacked and reading emails on the going behind of one party and another hack of our voter data are not on the same level.
    The thing is they weren't even hacked, the data was simply on an unsecured "Amazon Simple Storage Services" server.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    It's an issue because of the Russian interference and how the intelligence community is 100% expecting another massive propaganda campaign during the 2018 mid terms and 2020 election. That information being available to anyone who wanted to dig around just gave a gold mine worth of data to whoever snagged it to pin point target propaganda campaigns.
    Yeah true, didnt think about that.

So data that could have been found by opening a phone book and then googling them?
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The thing is they weren't even hacked, the data was simply on an unsecured "Amazon Simple Storage Services" server.
    As stated, it would reckless to talk about conspiracy theory here. Was it incompetence or was the door left open?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    https://www.upguard.com/breaches/the-rnc-files

An RNC data firm called Deep Root Analytics left a massive cache of voter information unsecured on an Amazon server and it was found and accessed by outside parties.

The data included names, dates of birth, addresses, phone numbers, voter registration details, voting records, from 2008 and 2012, as well as 2016 data from Ohio and Florida. The database also included ethnicity, religion, and other analytics done on Deep Root Analytics' part.

The analytics included ratings of how likely someone was to support a particular policy, with 46 policy categories.

This breach includes almost every single person who is registered to vote in the US.

---
    EDIT:
    Mods, I accidentally'd a 0 on the end there, can you fix it?
    "Unsecured" - LOL who the fuck do these people hire to do their IT security. What a fucking clown show, on both sides of the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    So data that could have been found by opening a phone book and then googling them?
    Yeah be flippant about people having private information about you. It can only end well right? I'm not doing anything wrong why should I be worried

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yeah be flippant about people having private information about you. It can only end well right? I'm not doing anything wrong why should I be worried
    Then You must live in a world of fear knowing that your entire life is as easy to find as opening up a phone book and then entering that name,address,number into google. Dear god just imagine... right now they are all coming for you! TO GIVE YOU FAST FOOD ADS OMG RUN!!!!!
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Then You must live in a world of fear knowing that your entire life is as easy to find as opening up a phone book and then entering that name,address,number into google. Dear god just imagine... right now they are all coming for you! TO GIVE YOU FAST FOOD ADS OMG RUN!!!!!
    I already get cold called for computer troubles I don't need to add life insurance and god knows what else to the list. You can do a lot with private info now. Silly to dismiss it like a big joke

Deleted
    American phone books contain information on your political leanings?

10+ Year Old Account
    You can find registration details and voting records in the phone book?

Wow, I didn't know phone books associated SSNs with names, crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I already get cold called for computer troubles I don't need to add life insurance and god knows what else to the list. You can do a lot with private info now. Silly to dismiss it like a big joke
    Just dont engage him. He obviously lacks the presence of mind to grasp the scope of implications.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    You can find registration details and voting records in the phone book?

Wow, I didn't know phone books associated SSNs with names, crazy.
    Probably, what am i some phone book wizard?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flextt View Post
    Just dont engage him. He obviously lacks the presence of mind to grasp the scope of implications.
    Exactly!... def not so tired of people complaining about info leaks or that. Nope

Just seriously what is the worse that can happen to you because someone knows who you voted for?
    Last edited by Raptor With a Saber; 2017-06-19 at 05:00 PM.
    WORLD POPULATION

Look at all the lefty media outlets not calling "hacking... uhh "hacking": Strange they couldn't say hacking enough for the last year or so and now the cat's got their tongue.

Further proof conservative outrage is either because they hate women or they hate emails, else they'll all be up in arms about ths.....
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Waiting for the conservative outrage over actual info that was stolen.

One day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Further proof conservative outrage is either because they hate women or they hate emails, else they'll all be up in arms about ths.....
    Damn emails, killing the paper and courrier industry!

*shakes fist angrily*