Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracerz07 View Post
    Update:

So I spent some time playing and even though the game is visually pleasing, i found the beginning to drag so hard. It feels like a legit single player game and not an mmo. Also the fact that I can't join the realm where my irl friends are (Gilgamesh) is a complete let down. I unfortunately don't believe I'll be purchasing this game. I'll play a bit more to see if hopefully it changes my mind as I want to give it a legit chance but it looks bleak at this point.
    As many stated before, the game has a very slow start and is heavily story focused. While leveling, you rarely NEED a group but there are several dungeons and trials along the way that can only be done in a group. IMO the leveling is far more group oriented than games like WoW since during the leveling process you don't ever NEED to do a dungeon or be in a group ever, but doing the zone quests may lead you to one, but they're not required by any means.

Due to the long 2.5 second GCD, and classes only having a few skills at low levels, combat is very slow until about level 30. For faster paced combat try Pugilist or Thief, which evolve into Monk and Ninja respectively. That said, all classes really start filling all the downtime by level 50 (not much of a consolation I know since that's a long way off, but it is what it is).

The end game is really where you'll obviously need groups as dungeons, trials and raids all require groups.

The game does now also offer two "skip" potions: a level jump potion for a single class that will jump that specific class to level 60 and can currently only be used once per account and two story skip potions; one for just A Realm Reborn content and one for both ARR and Heavensward content so you can jump right into Stormblood. They are separate. Buying a level boost will not complete any story quests (which are required to be completed to unlock the majority of the games content) and buying a story skip will not level you. The Job Level Boost potion is $25 and the story skip potions are $18 and $25.

HERE is some information on them from the reveal and HERE is an article with the prices listed for the potions. Additionally, HERE is a link to information on Realm Transfer, which costs $18.

Unfortunately if you want onto Gilgamesh you'll likely need to pay to transfer onto that server as with it being such a high population server I highly doubt the character creation restriction will ever be lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Unfortunately if you want onto Gilgamesh you'll likely need to pay to transfer onto that server as with it being such a high population server I highly doubt the character creation restriction will ever be lifted.
    I'm pretty sure Gilgamesh is on total lock down currently. Right now, they only want people moving off the server. I've seen no notice yet on when this will be lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Resiak1066 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Gilgamesh is on total lock down currently. Right now, they only want people moving off the server. I've seen no notice yet on when this will be lifted.
    There's that too....basically the only chance anyone has of getting onto Gilgamesh is to transfer on...whenever that option is allowed again, given the circumstances. Thanks for the information and clarification.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah well I totally appreciate everyone's input! Totally quitting now as I refuse to pay for a transfer to join a realm to play with my friends, no way in hell will I be anywhere near invested into a game(outside of wow) to pay for in game services.
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

Ah well I totally appreciate everyone's input! Totally quitting now as I refuse to pay for a transfer to join a realm to play with my friends, no way in hell will I be anywhere near invested into a game(outside of wow) to pay for in game services.
    If you have any interest whatsoever in the story I still recommend getting the game and playing through it because it is pretty good and takes a pretty long ass time to get through so it's worth the money from a dollar per hour standpoint and can be easily dropped like any sub based game whenever you don't want to keep playing.

Hope you enjoy whatever time you spend in Eorzea with us =)

10+ Year Old Account
    This is one reason I avoid massive servers

Game feels really slow untill 50+ some classes can be rough