Deleted

New tank, which stat priority to follow?

Hey guys,

According to this guide , there are two stat priorities depending on style. One for survivability and one for DPS. I only intend to do M+ (maybe the occassional HC raid too), and would like to know which stat priority I should ideally be taking for that?

Are you dying easily? If no bump up your damage output. If you are then go with a more defensive build. Since you mentioned mythic + what you will want will change from time to time depending on the dungeon, the affixes in it and your group.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Take highest ilvl.

There are some situations where you take 5, maybe in extreme cases 10 ilvl lower, but you can't do anything wrong with always picking highest ilvl.

you're a tank survivability .. (note: I'm extremely biased and thank tank dps should be basically null in groups)
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaRockett View Post
    Hey guys,

According to this guide , there are two stat priorities depending on style. One for survivability and one for DPS. I only intend to do M+ (maybe the occassional HC raid too), and would like to know which stat priority I should ideally be taking for that?
    this is not a good way to handle your situation. obviously u keep all items worthwhile for both situation. the optimal way would be to keep items for m+ dps-tanking, one for tanking raids.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    you're a tank survivability .. (note: I'm extremely biased and thank tank dps should be basically null in groups)
    That's a pretty shortsighted way of looking at tanking. You have to think of it like a balance of both. If you are geared towards mitigation but are having no issues surviving and your healer is sitting back there playing peggle then you would be of more benefit to your group switching up some gear and doing more DPS. A lot of higher level keys come down to seconds in terms of pushing keystones and the tank doing 100k more dps overall will have a meaningful and noticeable impact on these scenarios. Alternatively, if you are dying constantly in an attempt to do 100k more dps, then wiping just one time will more than negate any benefit you were adding to the group. You just have to talent/gear intelligently based around your current situation.

Your purist view that a tank's #1 priority is to survive is 100% correct, but once you reach the point of survival you are free to take the extra stat budget and allocate it towards DPS since extra mitigation after the point of surviving is wasted most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Holovik View Post
    That's a pretty shortsighted way of looking at tanking. You have to think of it like a balance of both. If you are geared towards mitigation but are having no issues surviving and your healer is sitting back there playing peggle then you would be of more benefit to your group switching up some gear and doing more DPS. A lot of higher level keys come down to seconds in terms of pushing keystones and the tank doing 100k more dps overall will have a meaningful and noticeable impact on these scenarios. Alternatively, if you are dying constantly in an attempt to do 100k more dps, then wiping just one time will more than negate any benefit you were adding to the group. You just have to talent/gear intelligently based around your current situation.

Your purist view that a tank's #1 priority is to survive is 100% correct, but once you reach the point of survival you are free to take the extra stat budget and allocate it towards DPS since extra mitigation after the point of surviving is wasted most of the time.
    I would say its more of a narrow / purist view of tanking vs short sighted. In the situation you give if the tank is not taking enough dmg to justify the healer, i would recommend the healer go to a pure DPS spec vs a tank swapping some gear, taking more dmg, and giving the healer something to do. This way the tank mitigates the same level amount of dmg in case something goes wrong, lag, DC, random whoopsie, but the healer is now in a pure dps spec providing more dmg than the tank would with a bit of gear swapped out. In my experience I never once had an issue finding a healer willing to switch roles for a farm content pull . I freely admit to not having the knowledge of higher mythic + as I don't enjoy playing against timers so I don't run them, but in a race it does make sense to worry about dps as much as possible... likely part of why i don't enjoy them though.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Ok so first off checkout the paladin discord channel, all the info you could want and great people to ask for tip and tricks. https://discord.gg/0dvRDgpa5xZHFfnD

In terms of stats use the 2 strings below, balance priority is a mix of survival and DPS and then there is pure survival. My pally is 904 at the moment and I've always followed the balanced priority for raid and m+

Official(tm) Pawn Weights:
    ( Pawn: v1: "Balanced_72": Strength=2.75, Stamina=3.57, CritRating=2.65, HasteRating=3.6, MasteryRating=3.38, Versatility=3.35, Armor=9.99)
    ( Pawn: v1: "Survival_72": Strength=1.66, Stamina=4.23, CritRating=2.08, HasteRating=3.1, MasteryRating=3.02, Versatility=3.02, Armor=11.74)

Shoot for 18% crit rating and 8% vers then drop the rest into Haste and watch your SOTR fly.

Alot of haste...

No seriously more haste.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaRockett View Post
    Hey guys,

The amount of just plain wrong advise in this thread is shocking. The OP has said he is new to tanking.

For raid tanking, you want:

Haste to 30% (~11,300 haste) - this is your main survivability stat due to the cd reduction it give to SoTR and LotP.
    Vers to ~11%
    then stack mastery.
    reject crit.

The legendary helm and prydaz are probably the best combo. The tank specific ring is also decent.

Talents are 2, 3, any, 1, 1, 3, 1 by default.

For mythic + you can take more crit, so long as you can keep haste at 30% and vers around 11%.

talents would be 2, 1, any, 1, 1, 2, 2 if you and your group are experienced, 1 if not.

Legendary Legs and Sephuz are what you want for mythic +
    Last edited by mmoc9ee0266273; 2017-06-16 at 05:45 PM.

I've been tanking on my prot pally since the beginning of Legion, clearing all three raids on Heroic, but haven't tried Mythic raids yet. Been doing mostly m+ stuff for a few weeks now that Nighthold's gotten stale.

I suggest you to aim for 30% Haste (at least). That is the point where, survivability-wise, I felt the tanking gameplay of prot pally's become much smoother. For the rest of the stats, I haven't noticed anything really important (break points and such). I suggest focusing on Strength & Stamina afterwards.

Get good trinkets & legendaries and you'll be good to go on higher m+ keys.

If you're new to the class and role I'd stick to the pawn strings linked above. Generally I'd consider an item an upgrade if it increases both of those ratings. There isn't any magical breakpoint for haste. Above 30% haste is just as good as it is below 30%, it will continue to be your strongest stat for damage and survival. Crit becomes a lot more valuable in M+ dungeons than it is in raiding, similarly versatility is a lot better in raids than it is in M+ dungeons, but neither are useless. Crit also gives you a considerable amount more damage too, which is far from insignificant in dungeons. Note that neither crit nor versatility have any sort of breakpoints either. Take any advice of anyone saying you need X% of Y stat as their opinion on what makes the spec feel good. Mastery is a little bit disappointing, as it neither gives the solidly reliable damage reduction from versatility, nor does it give the stronger damage of crit, but it's a reasonable stat more so on those rare fights where holy shield is worth taking.

I would suggest trying out different gearing options and depending on what you plan on doing choose what you're the most comfortable with. But in all cases you'll really want to maximize haste. The other thing worth mentioning is that being a tank we get a lot from ilvl: strength, stamina and armor all have a huge affect on how you survive. Most of the time anything over a 5 ilvl difference will be an upgrade.

Haste haste haste haste haste haste haste...

Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    Arguing that a Tank shouldn't worry about dps is like arguing that DPS shouldn't worry about survival. Both should be doing both, with just a little more emphasis on their primary focus.

- - - Updated - - -

OP: Haste is our best stat for both dps and survival, but don't discount the value of armor, strength, and stamina. I take haste gear if within 5 item levels, and go for higher item level if difference is more than that.

You want haste>Crit>vers>Mastery with Strength DPS trinkets..
    The real issue going on now is going to be ToS gear.. They are absolutely stated HORRIBLE for prot paladins.. Like really fucking badly.. Which means we will be farming 15's in Mythic Plus this week and starting next server reset so we can get our BiS relics, and stat'd gear from them.
    As a prot Paladin your survivability is really easy, you and all prot paladins should be focused on our niched for raiding and keys, and that is the amount of DPS we can pull. Tank dps is VERY important no matter who on here says otherwise.. Especially in progression fights. When every piece of DPS counts.
    That is why in keys using the ledgy legs and sephuz is the best combo for dps. You should easily be pulling 1.5million to 2 million dps on trash pulls.. Single target about 550k at 910 ilvl give or take what the fight entails.
    Either way you will learn to use your SotR at the right times to survive. Surviving is just second nature to all tanks who are worth a shit..
    Pull those dps numbers and keep it moving..