Thread: Wowhead.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Wowhead.

What's going on with this website? You can see my computer's specs in my signature, so you should be able to tell that having a wowhead tab open in Chrome shouldn't be an issue. So, why IS it an issue? Why do they run so many scripts? I remember when wowhead was pretty light, relatively speaking, why is it so out of control that its specific tab will actually crash because "Google Chrome has run out of memory trying to display this page."

Like, please tell me there's an alternative to wowhead. Thottbot is long gone/not updated, is there anything else? Loading their pages also shouldn't take so damned long.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    They sold out

WoWhead has pretty much monopoly for the WoW Data, so they can right now do almost everything they want.

It's nothing to do with your specs, they've had problems ever since they changed their method of showing us ads. I actually manually added some filters to Adblock today and it's loading SO much faster now that ads aren't getting through/spam refreshing.

E: Decided to give Ublock Origin a go, also works fine. Might as well just use that I guess.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2017-06-18 at 04:03 PM.

A lot of it comes from adblock,as the way they show us adds is that if one is blocked,another appears

So your adblock needs to brute force close all the adds one by one,which takes quite some ressources

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I've noticed it takes longer to load if I have my adblock on. Why, I don't know.
    Replace adblock with UBlock Origin ... problem solved. Wowhead loads in around a second here.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

7+ Year Old Account
    this is pretty old news that wowhead needs many ressources, if i remember correctly there was something while legion release or so which crashed your pc? not sure anymore.

and this:

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Replace adblock with UBlock Origin ... problem solved. Wowhead loads in around a second here.

That's what I'm using.
    With ublock origin on - loads as close to instantly as you get from the other side of the world where I am.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

I can go on there now and it loads fine. Other times it doesn't. It's not very stable.
    Not a Wowhead issue then, never had a problem going there since I installed uBlock Origin, and I go there a lot when I'm playing WoW.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    With ublock origin on - loads as close to instantly as you get from the other side of the world where I am.
    Definitely made a huge difference, thanks! Hope it stays this way.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Maybe it's Ghostery.
    You no longer need Ghostery - uBlock Origin replaces around 3 or 4 addons pretty effectively.

Awesome. I'll take it off my desktop then. Thanks!
    Just make sure you go through uBlock origin options to check any 'uber' lists you want. I use it in average mode, not paranoid mode - your requirements may vary.

Deleted
    just tried it with adblock & it took 2 seconds. im happy with that, tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Like, please tell me there's an alternative to wowhead. Thottbot is long gone/not updated, is there anything else?
    sadly no and they bought thottbot back in the days
    Loading their pages also shouldn't take so damned long.
    Amen! but sadly they sold out and #1 isnt to be helpfull anymore but to make cash sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer eccles View Post
    just tried it with adblock & it took 2 seconds. im happy with that, tbh.
    Just remember that Adblock won't block some of the shadier practices employed by WoWhead.

https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets/issues/227

The site is very shady. If you open the dev console, this will cause a page reload and it will starts to play "nicer" -- apparently in an attempt to hide what it is really doing from those who are more investigative.
    However closes the dev console, and open uBO's logger, reload the front page and see that thousands upon thousands of ...g00.wowhead.com/g00/...$/$-like network requests are fired non-stop.
    It's like the site is designed to fire a lot of obfuscated garbage network requests along with a few legitimate ones, as a punishment for using a blocker. Will see what I can do, but ultimately not visiting such sites is probably what work best given the behavior.
    Edit: this is the technology used by wowhead.com: Instart Logic. They wrote the code which detects whether the dev console is opened, and which causes wowhead.com to behave badly or nicely according to whether the dev console is closed or opened. In my opinion, that code has no other purpose than to make it difficult to find out what is going on with the site. If you open the dev console, the number of network requests is just what would be expected from that kind of site. Close the dev console, and it's now a firehose of network requests with random-looking URLs. Also, the Instart Logic code is apparently only served to Chromium-based browsers (try view-source:http://www.wowhead.com/ in Chromium/Firefox, see the obvious difference).
    https://np.reddit.com/r/wow/comments...width/dagbmie/

That is why uBlock is preferred.
    Last edited by Lolsteak; 2017-06-18 at 05:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Be very careful with wowhead. They have been known to have viruses. I only go there on a chromebook because chromebook's can't be hacked really, and I also block the hell out of all of their ads.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Like, please tell me there's an alternative to wowhead. Thottbot is long gone/not updated, is there anything else? Loading their pages also shouldn't take so damned long.
    Funny that you're posting here and and asking for alternatives. The MMOC DB is here: http://www.wowdb.com/
    Also, https://www.thottbot.com/ works just fine

And - if you have issues with the site performance - contact Wowhead maybe? Why bitch about it here? The contact info is here: http://www.wowhead.com/aboutus

I forced a reload without cache - no issues here I can live with 2.7 seconds

*shrug*
    Last edited by mmoc0e47cbaaf5; 2017-06-18 at 06:41 PM.

This solved the issue for me, before installing Ublock Origin the loading time on wowhead was insane.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Be very careful with wowhead. They have been known to have viruses. I only go there on a chromebook because chromebook's can't be hacked really, and I also block the hell out of all of their ads.
    That's just bullshit and it doesn't work like that. You should not post about things you have no idea of.
    Online advertising can be used to spread malware. It can be your newspaper, wowhead or this site. It happens - because the way online advertising works these days.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the site itself is spreading malware. As far as I know, that hasn't happened.

So use the correct terminology if you want to discuss the topic and don't spread misinformation.

Wow just changed adblock for ublock and it is considerable faster. Appreciate it!