Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Anyone know of any decent PS4 cooling methods?

Just it's 30 degrees here in the UK atm and the PS4 is getting hotter than the blazes of hell.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any cooling solutions or third party stuff?

15+ Year Old Account
    other then 3rd party coolers there isn't much that you can do other then keep it in an open space with lots of ventilation (the main problem is Sonys reluctance to go with a power brick instead of putting the power supply inside the console itself).

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Play on Xbox for awhile
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Play on Xbox for awhile

Unfortunately FFXIV isn't available for the Xbone atm.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    Unfortunately FFXIV isn't available for the Xbone atm.
    This mainly. PS4 heats up to hell while playing it and I want to keep it as cool as possible.

Worst part is most of them are USB. I need the 2 ports for KB/Mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Just it's 30 degrees here in the UK atm and the PS4 is getting hotter than the blazes of hell.

Need a few details.

1) What kind of space is it in?

2) Have you cleaned out the vents? If u didn't know the spaces on the sides are also vents.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Need a few details.

1) What kind of space is it in?

2) Have you cleaned out the vents? If u didn't know the spaces on the sides are also vents.
    Open space, cleaned out vents like crazy and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    This mainly. PS4 heats up to hell while playing it and I want to keep it as cool as possible.

Bucket Air Conditioner.

Build one of these bad boys, and point it directly at the PS4.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Open space, cleaned out vents like crazy and so on.
    Then ur best bet is to get a small fan and point it at one of the sides of the system.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, might be a good idea to try and elevate it off the surface it is resting on. Put something like a soda bottle cap in all 4 corners on the bottom to let some air flow under the system. Just enough to lift the system up an inch.

15+ Year Old Account
    another thing that can help is to elevate the ps4 so there is air flow underneath.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Then I recommend a vertical orientation and a fan that blows the heat away
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    another thing that can help is to elevate the ps4 so there is air flow underneath.
    This guy's got the right idea!

Point a fan directly at it. Done. Easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Point a fan directly at it. Done. Easy.
    Curious. Do you think it would be better to put the fan behind it?

Which I guess depends on where the console is located, but if it is on a TV stand or shelf, I feel like blowing the hot air back at the system isn't going to help. Where if it were behind it, blowing the air away from the system and into the room, it may help disperse the heat better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Curious. Do you think it would be better to put the fan behind it?

Which I guess depends on where the console is located, but if it is on a TV stand or shelf, I feel like blowing the hot air back at the system isn't going to help. Where if it were behind it, blowing the air away from the system and into the room, it may help disperse the heat better.
    Behind should do it. I haven't tried it with a console but in the summer I usually keep a fan behind my computer. It's an easy fix and it seems to help with the temperature.

Gut the PS4 and install all the components in a PC case for better air flow and cooling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Behind should do it. I haven't tried it with a console but in the summer I usually keep a fan behind my computer. It's an easy fix and it seems to help with the temperature.
    For a PC, that absolutely makes the most sense, most the vents are in the back on a typical case. I feel even though most vents on consoles are on the sides, it still is best to have the fan behind it to push the hot air away.

Glad i'm not crazy. lol.

Cheers for suggestions everyone.

Got a few half decent AC units and fans in the attic. I'll drag some out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Gut the PS4 and install all the components in a PC case for better air flow and cooling.
    That is a very interesting remedy. I believe it would work well, but I also believe it is a recipe for disaster if they aren't handy with computers.