Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Campus Crazyness Continues

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-racist.html

Black student accuses white professor of racism, white teacher gets fired. Who do you guys think was in the wrong here. The teacher using social media was kind of dumb, but you should be able to defend yourself from accusations of racism. Is the university system failing? Is this the a long term effect of affirmative action?

Deleted
    Would probably have been better to just kick the student out for disorderly conduct, but that doesn't pay the bills.
    Also yeah the whole social media thing, was way out of line.

10+ Year Old Account
    She was fired for unprofessional behaviour towards a student, not anything to do with accusations of racism.

C was the most right answer with D being sorta right in some circumstances. Shitty question.

White University of Tennessee professor is FIRED after launching a Facebook rant at African American student who accused her of racism over exam question about slavery
    You missed a big reason why she was fired, it wasn't "racism". Why leave out such details? Seriously, it wasn't just cause she was accused of racism, it was for being completely unprofessional.

Deleted
    At this point it's just sad.

We have universities that sell underwater basket-weaving degrees.
    We have stupid kids who take life-crippling loans that give them hogwash degrees.

We then have a self fulfilled prophecy where kids demand the entire system to change because they let it play then instead of them playing it.

Yeah it's pretty annoying but that's just how it is these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post

Black student accuses white professor of racism, white teacher gets fired. Who do you guys think was in the wrong here. The teacher using social media was kind of dumb, but you should be able to defend yourself from accusations of racism. Is the university system failing? Is this the a long term effect of affirmative action?
    By the pictures they chose of the two involved alone, I can see who the article favors.

Now to read it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    She was fired for unprofessional behaviour towards a student, not anything to do with accusations of racism.
    Endus is correct. The professor was fired for unprofessional behavior.

Too bad the article didn't state that and too bad the article didn't tell both sides of the story. It also didn't give it's readers exactly what the professor stated on social media, only part of it. This is a clear lesson to everyone to be very very careful when using social media.

He shouldn't have made it public, and she shouldn't be stupid.

eh teacher was wrong to lash out they way they did, should have provided the justification for the answers of "C", then let the books and facts speak if they backed that answer. Missed a chance to be a educator and mentor.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    "After the student challenged her teacher, Ms Parker says the lecturer unleashed a string of posts attacking the student on Facebook."

Fired. As a teacher, you keep that shit off your Facebook account. I don't talk about my co-workers, my company, or my clients on any platform at all. Nothing on the internet is private...NOTHING.

That said. After reading the article, I see absolutely no sign of racism what so ever. If the quiz question needed to be debated, there is a forum for that. They can hold a meeting with the administration to sort it out. She may be able to re-educate her teacher if the student's answer was actually the correct one.

This just sounds like catty people being catty.

I like how some people make it so obvious they didn't read the article, and are just taking the OP's thread title and post as gospel.

Teacher used social media to attack student, teacher got fired for unprofessional behaviour. Even the Daily Mail didn't bother trying to twist it into whatever sky-is-falling narrative you're pushing.

BTW, what makes you think the lecturer was hired through affirmative action?

What isn't being discussed in the article is how after the student challenged the teacher on the answer, and the teacher gave the student the reasoning. The student still didn't accept the answer and accused the teacher of being racist.

Regardless they are both shitty people, the student slandered her teacher like an entitled 3 year old who doesn't get their way. And the teacher responded like an entitled 3 year old by slandering the student back on facebook of all places. What adults even have facebook?

The teacher was fired (had her contract bought out early) for talking shit about a student on Facebook, and threatening to release her name publicly. Regardless of whether she is actually racist or not, she broke the rules in regards to the school. On top of that, she was done in July, and they bought her contract out early to make her go the fuck away.

Here's another article:

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/e...ion/378074001/

7+ Year Old Account
    Unprofessional? Maybe. Though that's really only relevant if she was on duty when she posted it. Getting canned for not being "professional" in your off time is a huge overreach on the part of an employer.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    What adults even have facebook?
    Only those with, ya know, family, friends, etc.

The teacher should've told her "look there are all kinds of history courses taught by all kinds of teachers just like there are all kinds of history books with different takes on the same subject. My class is just one of many takes on the subject, if you learn that and that's all you've learned I'll consider my job a success."

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    What isn't being discussed in the article is how after the student challenged the teacher on the answer, and the teacher gave the student the reasoning. The student still didn't accept the answer and accused the teacher of being racist.

Regardless they are both shitty people, the student slandered her teacher like an entitled 3 year old who doesn't get their way. And the teacher responded like an entitled 3 year old by slandering the student back on facebook of all places. What adults even have facebook?
    When I was in college, I had an issue with the way a teacher was conducting their class. I brought it up to the Program Director. Teacher was then fired. Never had to confront the teacher, and the teacher had no info on who had sold him out.

If this student decided to take that route, then this article wouldn't exist. Like you said, they both handled this like children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Unprofessional? Maybe. Though that's really only relevant if she was on duty when she posted it. Getting canned for not being "professional" in your off time is a huge overreach on the part of an employer.
    Not really. There's many places that have a Social Media Ethics Policy that applies to employees whether on the clock or not. Going off on a tirade on Facebook would violate said policy. There's a reason that so many people ended up unemployed during that Getting Racists Fired push on Facebook where people dumb enough to leave the name of their employer on the page were getting reported to their bosses for the stupid stuff they said online.

Isn't At-Will Employment awesome?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)