High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

i5 6600K overclocked to 4.6GHZ Liquid Cooled Kraken X61 Temp Spikes

Hi Guys

ive linked a youtube video of my temperature spikes with my current spec. is this normal? im getting abit paranoid lately because the spikes for one core could go to 70 and the others idle around 50. any help would be appreciated thanks.

As cores are being utilized they spike up in temperature, nothing unusual with that. Note that Skylakes also have TIM under the IHS, so no matter how fast your AIO can remove that heat it wont reach the coldplate instantly. There is only one fix to this: delidding.

EDIT: Also, delidding obviously wont solve this entirely, you're still dealing with the IHS itself regardless, but temperatures are going to be lower and will rise slower.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2017-06-20 at 04:48 PM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    As cores are being utilized they spike up in temperature, nothing unusual with that. Note that Skylakes also have TIM under the IHS, so no matter how fast your AIO can remove that heat it wont reach the coldplate instantly. There is only one fix to this: delidding.

EDIT: Also, delidding obviously wont solve this entirely, you're still dealing with the IHS itself regardless, but temperatures are going to be lower and will rise slower.
    hey thanks for the reply. so everything is good then? i do have nore fans coming this week abd maybe add some thermal paste so could help a bit.
    it never goes above 70 anyway i was just paranoid wirh the cpu temp spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Venema View Post
    hey thanks for the reply. so everything is good then? i do have nore fans coming this week abd maybe add some thermal paste so could help a bit.
    it never goes above 70 anyway i was just paranoid wirh the cpu temp spikes.
    Completely normal. 70 looks kinda high for an i5 under water though, by 6700K@4.6 with 30C ambient ramps up to the same temps on air. Fans are not going to help though, I hope you're not using stock TIM that comes with an AIO.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Completely normal. 70 looks kinda high for an i5 under water though, by 6700K@4.6 with 30C ambient ramps up to the same temps on air. Fans are not going to help though, I hope you're not using stock TIM that comes with an AIO.
    it rarely goes to 70 unless its on high load. which would be running wow/paragon or 2 games at once so i wouldnt be worried about it other than that because i dont use heavy load much.

you mean stock fans that come with the x61 cooler? yes i am is that bad

AIO can be deceptive unless you really move air across them. That liquid heats up and will stay warm. A lot of people keep their fans on super low and it just doesn't move the air enough. Or use horrible fans that don't move the air enough as well. Filth/dust will do it too.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    AIO can be deceptive unless you really move air across them. That liquid heats up and will stay warm. A lot of people keep their fans on super low and it just doesn't move the air enough. Or use horrible fans that don't move the air enough as well. Filth/dust will do it too.
    i have 2 fans coming which are these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F6S0X...395841_TE_dp_1

should i relpace them with these?

Those fans should get the job done. I always testing where your fans are and to either push or pull with them. I have seen on different radiators react differently. Whichever one moves air the best though the equipment go that way.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    That is really high temps for a i5 6600k. Im running 4.6GHz and mine idles at 16-20 degress and when i game WOW it stays at 30-40 degress.

I would take of the cooler and reply the TIM and see if that helps and try and set the fans to 1200Rpm. Are you running push or pull on the cooler?
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    That is really high temps for a i5 6600k. Im running 4.6GHz and mine idles at 16-20 degress and when i game WOW it stays at 30-40 degress.

I would take of the cooler and reply the TIM and see if that helps and try and set the fans to 1200Rpm. Are you running push or pull on the cooler?
    its currently in CAM under fixxed mode. so make a custom profile and set it to 1200? next thing eould be to apply TIM to it and see how that goes. i think there in a pull mode? its currently in a phantom 530 case so it has the room and was maded for x61 i can post some pictures if needed.

i have 2 fans coming which are these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F6S0X...395841_TE_dp_1

should i relpace them with these?
    I would suggest SP120s or SilentWings 3 PWMs. Stock fans on a X61 are not that bad.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    its currently in CAM under fixxed mode. so make a custom profile and set it to 1200? next thing eould be to apply TIM to it and see how that goes. i think there in a pull mode? its currently in a phantom 530 case so it has the room and was maded for x61 i can post some pictures if needed.
    Yes try and make a profil with 1200RPM. But first try and check the TIM and see if the cooler is 100% seated because you should not hit 70 degress with a Kraken x61
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Yes try and make a profil with 1200RPM. But first try and check the TIM and see if the cooler is 100% seated because you should not hit 70 degress with a Kraken x61
    im gonna buy some artic TIM and reapply it and see how it goes. but i rarely hit 60-70 only in high load. i set the fans to 1200rpm no change so i might change the fans to push instead of pull

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    so i tried a few things. installed 2 new fans which were the Corsair AF 120s and applied new thermal paste.

also i changed the AIO setup instead of having the fans under the radiator i moved them on top of it in a pull mode. this is the result in idle.

ive yet to try get it at full load. so im going to try it now and come back with an update. but this looks alot better than the last setup surely?

so i tried a few things. installed 2 new fans which were the Corsair AF 120s and applied new thermal paste.

also i changed the AIO setup instead of having the fans under the radiator i moved them on top of it in a pull mode. this is the result in idle.

ive yet to try get it at full load. so im going to try it now and come back with an update. but this looks alot better than the last setup surely?
    Pretty hard to judge without knowing your ambient and coolant temperatures.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty hard to judge without knowing your ambient and coolant temperatures.
    at the moment its averagin around 18C. Ive tested it under heavy load now for 2 hours and was yet to go over 60 so i think that issues fixxed. now i need to try cool my GPU down abit more.

at the moment its averagin around 18C. Ive tested it under heavy load now for 2 hours and was yet to go over 60 so i think that issues fixxed. now i need to try cool my GPU down abit more.
    It's not like you had any issues in the first place. You would probably achieve same temperatures on air with those ambients.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's not like you had any issues in the first place. You would probably achieve same temperatures on air with those ambients.
    i just reseated it and applied new thermal paste and im down to 20-25 idle and <60 on load then again i did clean out the pc completely so that might have helped.