Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

What's wrong with Canada's healthcare system?

This woman is angry because she does not like the quality of her doctor and she later says she can't afford to go to a better doctor. I thought Canada had universal healthcare?

C-C-C-Can't Stump the Trump!

This will get closed for nation bashing because it's bashing canada.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Shes just a racist cunt nothing to see here move along. Many people stood up to her.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    This will get closed for nation bashing because it's bashing canada.
    How? this is way tamer than the 100s of US/cops/guns thread! I really do want to know why she said she couldn't afford better healthcare!
    C-C-C-Can't Stump the Trump!

10+ Year Old Account
    In which we argue a quality doctor is a white doctor.

Gahdammit I got baited.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn that chick seems like a massive racist. I am embarassed for her just watching this. The nerve to play the victim at the end lmao.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zormis View Post
    This woman is angry because she does not like the quality of her doctor and she later says she can't afford to go to a better doctor. I thought Canada had universal healthcare?
    See the bit in bold? That bit is false. She didn't like the skin color of her doctor, and made her racist bullshit publicly known, and faced immediate social backlash over being a terrible person as a result.

Refusing to let her kid be seen by a doctor because he's not white enough for her is evidence that she is an unfit mother, not that there's a damn thing wrong with the healthcare system in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because that lady is a racist idiot.

To answer your other question, yes there are private doctors in Canada. They cost a bit, but they are not better. They just reduce wait time and you skip the waiting line (which usually takes 30 minutes to 2 hours on a regular day).

It's a good thing because it reduces the traffic in public clinics, allowing people (who can't afford it) faster queues. We've had a problem of missing doctors for a while, but with these two systems complementing each other, a lot of places are getting back on their feet.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no such thing as "free".
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

10+ Year Old Account
    Our healthcare system has a few flaws, this is not one of them. She says almost immediately in that what she wanted was a white doctor, anything after the fact would be an obvious cover.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    In the context of "free healthcare", the point is that it's free to the end-user, not that it costs nobody anything. Don't be deliberately obtuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    True. In the case of the US it would be -our- money in the blue states paying for -your- healthcare.

Be grateful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Hilarious video. Don't think it makes the point your trying to make unless your point is white doctors are better then non-white doctors because white. She's stupid and racist enough to believe this I wouldn't take her word that having more money would make a white super doctor appear. Also, if her kid has chest pains he should go to a hospital, although I DOUBT it's something serious, but I'm no doctor I just play one on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more pleased with the other Canadians taking a stand against her and voicing their opinions and straight up getting in her face. I'd have hated if everyone just minded their own business and said nothing.

On a side note, if you believe in a god then pray for that womans child because he is against the odds right now with as ignorant of that.

Misleading title is misleading.

All universal healthcare systems still allow people to pay/ pay more to see different doctors. They usually aren't better.

A rando ranting about the quality of their doctor is not evidence of anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    How? this is way tamer than the 100s of US/cops/guns thread! I really do want to know why she said she couldn't afford better healthcare!
    Because she's poor white trash?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    In every country where there is universal healthcare, there are private healthcare providers for people willing to pay.

Universal just means everyone has access to a basic level of healthcare, it doesn't mean there is no private sector.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just wow. Do people actually do this in Canada?

10+ Year Old Account
    There are many contexts in which this statement (which others have indicated, was not the real issue this racist sack of shit had) could refer to something else.

Perhaps she can't afford to travel to another doctor. Or perhaps she can't afford to take the time off of work to go somewhere further.

There are dozens of scenarios in which it is entirely plausible that she could not afford to go to a different doctor that have nothing to do with the healthcare services provided in her Province, or the costs associated thereof.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    There are many contexts in which this statement (which others have indicated, was not the real issue this racist sack of shit had) could refer to something else.

Perhaps she can't afford to travel to another doctor. Or perhaps she can't afford to take the time off of work to go somewhere further.

There are dozens of scenarios in which it is entirely plausible that she could not afford to go to a different doctor that have nothing to do with the healthcare services provided in her Province, or the costs associated thereof.
    It's in Mississauga, which is a part of the Greater Toronto Area. Its population alone is like 750k. This isn't a small town region where there's just one doctor. And Mississauga isn't the low-end part of the GTA, either.

A quick Google maps search shows me at least one other walk-in clinic a block away, like 300m. It's not a multi-speciality walk-in clinic, like the one she's at, but it's not like she has no options.

Plus, Canada's system encourages people to get a family doctor. It doesn't cost you anything; you've just got to find someone who's taking patients (not terribly hard; the walk-in in question also is taking regular patients currently). Most day-by-day stuff goes to them, by appointment; walk-in clinics are for people between regular GPs or who need to be seen that day for something that isn't worth going to Emergency for (a doctor's note for a cold, if your GP is too busy to see you for a couple days, maybe).

So whatever this is, we know;
    1> It's not an emergency, or she'd be at the hospital, not a clinic
    2> There are other walk-in clinics literally walking distance away
    3> She should have a regular GP that she's not going to for some reason, too.

Maybe this was the only time she could get off work and it didn't line up with her GP so she went to the walk-in clinic, and that's fine, but there's others she could go to still. She's basically just lying/lazy, and pretty obviously racist to boot.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-06-21 at 05:34 AM.