Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Added subscriber benefits, while also supporting the streamer, so they can continue to supply you with entertainment. A streamer that doesn't make money, likely won't stream.
    What are the added subscriber benefits that are worth $5 a month?
    "Supporting the streamer" is irrelevant. That's just the Twitch company like that they feed viewers to get them to part with money for almost no value. Spending money is about what you, the customer get for your money. I don't buy things to support the person or company I'm buying them from. I buy things because I want or need them, and because they give me a good value for my money. If I can get 95% of the value of a stream for free, then spending $5 a month for very little is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I am not into twitch or watching streams. Who are the ones with the most views/followers usually?
    The guys are. Broadly speaking anyways. Which makes it odd that this article doesn't say anything about the guys who are doing the same thing and enduring just as much trolling. It's a different kind of trolling, but its just as merciless.

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” -Tyrion Lannister

In regards to career choice, it's actually a good way to set yourself up for certain careers in the gaming industry. It really depends on what you want to do. College isn't the only way. But you have to be very self motivated to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    "Supporting the streamer" is irrelevant. That's just the Twitch company like that they feed viewers to get them to part with money for almost no value. Spending money is about what you, the customer get for your money. I don't buy things to support the person or company I'm buying them from. I buy things because I want or need them, and because they give me a good value for my money. If I can get 95% of the value of a stream for free, then spending $5 a month for very little is pointless.
    Really depends on the streamer. Some streamers give away free game copies and subscribers have priority as an example.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a little disappointed that so many people in this thread assume that if it's a girl on a stream, they're showing cleavage and banking on 'beta males' paying them money.

Yes, there are some that do, but many more that don't. People are basically confirming the poor attitude people have in the article.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why pay for something that is available for free?
    Because it's their money, and they can do what they want with it. And I know you're experienced enough to know that free isn't the same as pay.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    $5/30 = a dime and a nickel a day, what is it worth?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Put your chat behind a sub wall.

Problem solved.

Otherwise you know exactly what you're doing with the flood gates open. Its super easy to figure out how to regulate your chat when you're as big as these people claim.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm a little disappointed that so many people in this thread assume that if it's a girl on a stream, they're showing cleavage and banking on 'beta males' paying them money.

Yes, there are some that do, but many more that don't. People are basically confirming the poor attitude people have in the article.
    Obviously. But the "many more" aren't popular and have a tiny following.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

You can, but most big streamers have a bunch of mods to keep the Chat in line.
    Then the entire bit about the hatred makes no sense. Don't engage them on Twitter and if your twitch chat is moderated/sub mode then you see virtually nothing.

Oh and then I just saw the laughable bit about GamerGate. That invalidates the entire article to me, since its just straight up lies at that point.

I read up to where it mentioned gamergate as a "online harrasment campaign" and the article lost all credibility with me. Gamergate was about ethics in gaming journalism and were largely successful in getting online reviewers to state any conflicts of interest in their articles.

As for insults online, play any game online, male or female and you'll get harrassed. A friend of mine once said to me that she believes women feel as if they are targeted because when they are online they are truly on an equal playing field when they are used to being coddled.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Being hot is a totally viable and often highly rewarding career for women.
    and men. Being attractive works for both sexes pretty well. Male models, strippers, and TV personalities are usually attractive people and not fugly people and requires very little brain power.

Problem with dropping everything to become a full time streamer is there is 0% job security. Viewers are fickle and games die out frequently as new ones come in. Rebuilding your popularity in a new game is a huge uphill battle for most streamers and often impossible.

A streamer making $100,000 in one year could find themselves making $30,000 a year or two later.

That said it is a relatively cheap profession to jump into. Just need food rent internet and reasonably small "business fund" (for in-game purchases and what not) and you are good to go. It is by no means a stable way to walk through life though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    A streamer making $100,000 in one year could find themselves making $30,000 a year or two later.
    I would be totally happy with that. I think a LOT of people would be totally happy with that.

For the people making 6 figures.. Do that for a few years, have fun, after that you can go buy a house and get a degree basically for no hard work cost. Investing half a million sets them for life. That... seems like a pretty good idea as long as you don't blow the money on something stupid.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account

The assumption is more "if you need a face-cam, you're a cam-whore" and while paraphrasing, it's correct.

Twitch's ToS has rules against relying on face-cam (or anything really) instead of playing video games on a video game related stream, but they enforce it at their own leisure. There are no rules on reasons for donating though, and this is the major loophole.

I'm going to be a debbie downer and say the ratio of girls that cam-whore and the ones that don't is higher on the former, not the latter. Including anonymous streamers is irrelevant especially knowing there are a sizeable amount of men who pretend to be women anonymously, and there are guys that are into that kinda thing.

These girls (and guys) know fully well what they're doing to make money, and it's not for playing video games. Pretending they don't is embarrassing on both parties.

If they cared about making money with video games they'd go make them, not play them.

Twitch is the reason they are making money, not video games.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Stuff slips through, but yes, if you have some good mods, most of the negative stuff won't be seen in Twitch chat (if you want to completely lock it down). But keep in mind, a lot of streamers don't like to silence viewers. It makes people feel like they can't speak their mind, even if it is toxic, which can result in people just not wanting to view the channel.

There's a balance, you know? Let people speak their mind, but don't let them get out of hand.
    Its not a complete lockdown. 5 dollars and you get to speak along with all the other benefits of subscribing. Totalbiscuit proves that theory true. He has sub mode on 100% of the time and has a huge audience when he streams on Twitch. And one that follows him to Youtube.

I would be totally happy with that. I think a LOT of people would be totally happy with that.

For the people making 6 figures.. Do that for a few years, have fun, after that you can go buy a house and get a degree basically for no hard work cost. Investing half a million sets them for life. That... seems like a pretty good idea as long as you don't blow the money on something stupid.
    Err....the point was not the exact numbers...it was more that the income is volatile. It's very difficult to make financial plans when for all you know you could be making less than minimum wage for the rest of your life, even though you just made a killing for a year or two. Money runs out very very quickly when none of it is coming in.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I was a hot chick I'd prolly stream, why not? it's easy money and better than gathering experience to put on my resume..

I honestly don't care how people earn their living, as long as it doesn't intentionally harm anyone else in the process. What I have an issue with is how other people let their opinion about entire groups (genders, social groups, etc) of people be colored by something they don't personally like. And many people do do that.

"Girl Gamer" is a derogatory term Tennisace, I'm disappointed.

Deleted
    "Girl" and "women" in the thread title, or in other words, the thread is in direct violation of the forum's rules concerning gender threads. I'm thinking, "this must be Tennisace, breaking the rules again, and getting away with it."

Yup. Who else.