Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Bernie and Jane Sanders, under FBI investigation for bank fraud, hire lawyers

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and his wife, Jane Sanders have hired prominent defense attorneys amid an FBI investigation into a loan Jane Sanders obtained to expand Burlington College while she was its president, CBS News confirms.

Politico Magazine first reported the Sanders had hired lawyers to defend them in the probe. Sanders' top adviser Jeff Weaver told CBS News the couple has sought legal protection over federal agents' allegations from a January 2016 complaint accusing then-President of Burlington College, Ms. Sanders, of distorting donor levels in a 2010 loan application for $10 million from People's United Bank to purchase 33 acres of land for the institution.

According to Politico, prosecutors might also be looking into allegations that Sen. Sanders' office inappropriately urged the bank to approve the loan.

Burlington attorney and Sanders supporter Rich Cassidy has reportedly been hired to represent Sen. Sanders. And high-profile Washington defense attorney Larry Robbins, who counseled Libby "Scooter" Robbins, former Chief of Staff for the Vice President, is protecting Jane Sanders.

Ms. Sanders' push for the liberal arts college's costly land acquisition was cited in a press release by the college when it shut down in 2016.

Brady Toensing of Burlington, the man responsible for the claims filed to the U.S. attorney for Vermont, was a chairman for the Trump campaign in his state.

"I filed a request for an investigation in January 2016 and an investigation appears to have been started right away," he said in an email to CBS News. "It was started under President Obama, his Attorney General, and his U.S. Attorney, all of whom are Democrats."

"My only hope is for a fair, impartial, and thorough investigation," Toensing added.

Weaver told CBS News that Toensing's claim that Sen. Sanders used his influence to lobby for the loan is a "political charge" that is "baseless" and "false."

And as for the claim that Ms. Sanders manipulated the loan application, Weaver said, "The loan was approved by the financial board at the college."

Sen. Sanders, formerly mayor of Burlington, Vermont's largest city, regards the claims as a political game levied against him after his run for president in the 2016 primary election, a platform which has transformed the small-state senator into an influential voice in American liberal politics.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bernie-a...-hire-lawyers/

I hope they will lock up Bernie, Hillary and Trump in the same cell.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t=jane+sanders

For the earlier thread. Not saying this needs to be closed, as this is over a month later, but additional info there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

This is obviously a scheme from the Trump administration /s

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where is all the right and their "where the evidence" posts?

So there's no evidence of wrongdoing and this appears to be a standard investigation, but we're jumping to conclusions simply because there's an investigation and Sanders took the step suggested by virtually everyone when under investigation - to get a lawyer?

I wish this crowd would apply this same method of determining guilt to Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    So there's no evidence of wrongdoing and this appears to be a standard investigation, but we're jumping to conclusions simply because there's an investigation and Sanders took the step suggested by virtually everyone when under investigation - to get a lawyer?

I wish this crowd would apply this same method of determining guilt to Donald Trump.
    The only people who jumped to conclusions in this thread is the guy who said trump should share the jail cell and you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Everything you need to know about Bernie Sanders was told when he set up his PAC after the election with many campaign staffers, and when he put his friend and beneficiary in charge of it, the senior staff staged a revolt and quit.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...fore-it-begins

Bernie Sanders has always been a con-artist. That's not to attack the legitimacy of his message in any way. People are of course, free to believe in what they want. But people protected Bernie Sanders-the-person with the exact same fervor they protected "Doctor Ron Paul" despite 40 years of being a racist who believes insane things about finance. And it's revolting. It's cult of personality shit straight out of Eastern Europe.

It's all bullshit. Anyone turning a critical eye to how Bernie managed the finances and mechanisms of his campaign could see that. Bernie Sanders certainly isn't a Trumpian-conartist, but he's a man who has spent decades making exceptions for himself when it comes to reconciling his beliefs with his behaviors.

When your _failed_ champion turns out to be a hypocrite, throw them under a bus and then run the bus over them a few times for good measure just so they stay down. You don't need them anymore and in the long run it's healthy as it promotes a process of natural selection. Your next champion will learn from their mistakes... hopefully.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Amazing people. It takes some balls to stand up for the little people against banks and corporations.

And to think they all just did it to make sure kids could get better education, instead of doing it for personal gain.

That is a Robin Hood story right here.
    I agree. Fraud is okay when the left does it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Its stuff like this that keeps me asking myself why I bother voting, though I do it anyways. Feels like no matter who I choose its always the bad guy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Everything you need to know about Bernie Sanders was told when he set up his PAC after the election with many campaign staffers, and when he put his friend and beneficiary in charge of it, the senior staff staged a revolt and quit.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...fore-it-begins

Bernie Sanders has always been a con-artist. That's not to attack the legitimacy of his message in any way. People are of course, free to believe in what they want. But people protected Bernie Sanders-the-person with the exact same fervor they protected "Doctor Ron Paul" despite 40 years of being a racist who believes insane things about finance. And it's revolting. It's cult of personality shit straight out of Eastern Europe.

It's all bullshit. Anyone turning a critical eye to how Bernie managed the finances and mechanisms of his campaign could see that. Bernie Sanders certainly isn't a Trumpian-conartist, but he's a man who has spent decades making exceptions for himself when it comes to reconciling his beliefs with his behaviors.

When your _failed_ champion turns out to be a hypocrite, throw them under a bus and then run the bus over them a few times for good measure just so they stay down. You don't need them anymore and in the long run it's healthy as it promotes a process of natural selection. Your next champion will learn from their mistakes... hopefully.
    Yea, I mean he told it's a good thing people stand in lines for food in 3rd world countries once.. cause at least the rich wont get it. He doesn't stand with the poor, he just wants to make everyone poor.. cause if I cant have it, you shouldn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekkle View Post
    Its stuff like this that keeps me asking myself why I bother voting, though I do it anyways. Feels like no matter who I choose its always the bad guy.
    Based on released info, it could be legit or it could be overblown. She counted on getting a large alumni donation (who was apparently on his/her deathbed) and it didn't come to fruition. If she had concrete evidence that the university was going to get a large endowment (aka the donor wrote to her saying she had six months to live), then she rightfully should have included it in donation projections. Any sort of correspondence with the prospective donor would support her claim in this regard.

If she just made shit up then yes she is in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Amazing people. It takes some balls to stand up for the little people against banks and corporations.

And to think they all just did it to make sure kids could get better education, instead of doing it for personal gain.

That is a Robin Hood story right here.
    I'm loosing my ability to detect sarcasm.

Anyway, she took down an entire college with her and got a 200k golden parachute. Truly the robinhood of our times

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by halloaa View Post
    I agree. Fraud is okay when the left does it.
    I mean, collusion and breaking conflicts of interest clauses in the Constitution is ok when the right does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Based on released info, it could be legit or it could be overblown. She counted on getting a large alumni donation (who was apparently on his/her deathbed) and it didn't come to fruition. If she had concrete evidence that the university was going to get a large endowment (aka the donor wrote to her saying she had six months to live), then she rightfully should have included it in donation projections. Any sort of correspondence with the prospective donor would support her claim in this regard.

If she just made shit up then yes she is in trouble.
    She pretty much lied about the donation.

https://vtdigger.org/2017/05/04/burl...signed-pledge/

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post

You don't need to sign anything for something to be a contract. Any sort of clear offer, terms, and acceptance (written or verbal) constitutes a legal written contract. You can even write it in a napkin. "Her word" is sufficient.

Sounds like the donor does not understand what a legal contract is. That being said, if she truly did not give a dollar amount and just said something like "I am giving you a substantial donation" then that of course cannot be quantified and should not be included in budgeting.

If she did say, "The doctors told me that I have six months to live, I going to leave you 10 million dollars when I pass, you have my word" and Sanders said "ok awesome", that would be a legal contract.

If she said something along the lines of "I have six months to live, I am leaving you the bulk of my estate when I pass" then the lawyers are going to have to duke it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The only people who jumped to conclusions in this thread is the guy who said trump should share the jail cell and you.
    Only if you have poor reading comprehension skills.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post

Verbal agreements are binding.

https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=35794

If they're going after Sanders, I hope they have evidence. World's got enough fake news out there. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if Sanders was hiding a couple million here or there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekkle View Post
    Better wait for confirmation that his wife was guilty or that Bernie himself was involved at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bernie-a...-hire-lawyers/

I hope they will lock up Bernie, Hillary and Trump in the same cell.
    So what crime did Bernie commit, again?