Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

What can be done about self segregation in the US education system?

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/white...ool-districts/

I believe this a threat to national unity! Americans must see themselves as Americans first! Not rich or poor! Not white or black!

Any school that does this is a traitor to America!

Would you be in favor of banning this or are there better ways?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    I believe this a threat to national unity! Americans must see themselves as Americans first! Not rich or poor! Not white or black!
    We could start by banning all those imbeciles who keep turning every issue into an ethnicity/race issue to make up excuses for idiocy. The morons who keep demanding for special treatment for minorities are only making segregation problems worse.
    Last edited by mmocd6a9ba639c; 2017-06-25 at 09:15 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Would you want to send your kids to a public school when it looks like this?

There is a reason at least here in Florida where most parents who live in cities send their kids to private schools. At least that's what my school was like back in 2007 but hey we had police officers and metal detectors to keep us somewhat safe. Friend of mine told me his school had a swat team on the last day of school as the last day is where people are the most violent.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/white...ool-districts/

Any school that does this is a traitor to America!

Would you be in favor of banning this or are there better ways?
    Of course it's a threat to national unity. Historically, social and economic disparity have inevitably led to mass unrest and even national collapse.

But Americans of the Me First generations won't like the solutions

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post

There is a reason at least here in Florida where most parents who live in cities send their kids to private schools. At least that's what my school was like back in 2007 but hey we had police officers and metal detectors to keep us somewhat safe. Friend of mine told me his school had a swat team on the last day of school as the last day is where people are the most violent.
    Would I want to?
    No.

Does that justify the creation of a two tier socity, the creation of a permanent underclass with a sub standard education largely unable to find any meaningful or viably paid work?
    Also no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Step 1: School boards should be composed of professionals, not elected officials. Their purpose should be administrative, and forming a new board should only happen if the administrative needs suggest it's needed, not because some people want one.

Step 2: Pool public school funding across the municipality/region, distribute to schools based on student body size. A school of 500 students serving a poor inner city neighbourhood should get exactly the same funding as the 500 student school in the wealthiest suburb in the city.
    Step 2A: Donations to the school would be added to that pool, not kept by the individual school.

Step 3: Work to homogenize curriculum standards as broadly as possible. At the State level, bare minimum, ideally at the national level. Some regional variations should be allowed with some flexibility in the optional sections; schools in Spanish-heavy areas may offer more Spanish education than a school elsewhere (which would replace that with other language training, as regionally appropriate or based on available teachers). And before anyone goes nuts, "curriculum standards" are bare minimum standards; teachers would be expected to be exceeding these, not just meeting. Said curriculum standards would apply to private schools as well, as well as homeschooling.

My kids are part White, but they are also part Asian, so they will have a somewhat unique perspective of race relations while growing up. The thing is, I don't teach my kids to judge people based on the color of their skin, beliefs or what political party they may adhere to. My kids will look for the goodness (or lack of) in people's hearts and be able to form their opinions about someone from that.

To be honest, if I could afford it, I sure as hell would not want my kids going to the cesspools around here we call public schools. Quite a few friends of my 16-year-old are pregnant and some of them are on drugs. Thank god she is probably a lesbian, at least that way I don't have to worry about her ending up in the same situation that many of her peers are in at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post

I grew up in FL and schools looked nothing like that. Not even in most of the older/rougher neighborhoods. Schools that do end up like that can be traced back to neglect from state and local governemnts. Or maybe if people demand that their tax dollars are allocated adequetly

Resident Cosplay Progressive

So if you have a community of 15,000 people why can't they form their own school district and build a school? It's a free country.

Okay, so their district turns out to be mostly white, so what? As long as they don't exclude people from the school based on race then I don't see anything wrong.

If these people were rich and the original district is going to lose a lot of money when they leave, maybe the original district should've worked harder to keep these people.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Ban ethnic enclaves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Step 1: School boards should be composed of professionals, not elected officials. Their purpose should be administrative, and forming a new board should only happen if the administrative needs suggest it's needed, not because some people want one.

Step 2: Pool public school funding across the municipality/region, distribute to schools based on student body size. A school of 500 students serving a poor inner city neighbourhood should get exactly the same funding as the 500 student school in the wealthiest suburb in the city.
    Step 2A: Donations to the school would be added to that pool, not kept by the individual school.

Step 3: Work to homogenize curriculum standards as broadly as possible. At the State level, bare minimum, ideally at the national level. Some regional variations should be allowed with some flexibility in the optional sections; schools in Spanish-heavy areas may offer more Spanish education than a school elsewhere (which would replace that with other language training, as regionally appropriate or based on available teachers). And before anyone goes nuts, "curriculum standards" are bare minimum standards; teachers would be expected to be exceeding these, not just meeting. Said curriculum standards would apply to private schools as well, as well as homeschooling.
    Bold part is important. My high school received substantial donations to its athletics department. I benefited from the donations as a student athlete but this school was clearly getting more favor from the school board and a lot better off because of donations. A girl across the street from me went to a different local high school that was about 10 miles from my school (weird zoning rules), the quality of her school paled in comparison to mine even though they were down the street from one another. This is something that had been going on for years so parents would find ways to send their kids to my school instead of hers, creating a snowball effect. I remember my coaches talking about school board poorly allocated funds to our school that could have gone to others since their neighbor or some kid they coached in little league could be going to the other high school that was getting shafted.

Now my old high school has since be reclassified (a bunch of changes within the district took place to balance out the schools kind of like you said) but a lot of districts straight up neglect some schools in favor of where the money is until they are too far gone. Like ignore a cut until its infected and you now have to cut off the entire limb. Schools should get equal funding and attention to meet the needs of the school instead of getting special treatment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    Ban ethnic enclaves.
    I would love to hear a non totalitarian way to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ban ethnic enclaves.
    If you're talking about the US, ethnic enclaves are the product of segregation and now illegal real estate practices. Banks would sell homes to a minority and then tell white people that they must sell their homes/businesses or their property values would go down. White people moved, Real estate agencies then sold the property to black people with GI bills, then property values would actually go down because white people were told that black people made property values go down. 10% of the population cannot sustain itself when the rest of the country is afraid that doing business with them would result in their own stock going down. The new black/minority city centers were ostracized by the rest of the country until economic disparity became the norm. And when people don't have money they turn to crime to put food on the table.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Wait . . . there ARE schools like that?
    Yup, usually in the South or northern inner cities.

10+ Year Old Account
    The far left zealots have gone full retard and now are supporting racial segregation. Start there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Wrong as usual, the problem of bad schools is not funding or curriculum but the violence that goes on in there combined with the lack of interest in education and active bulying of the few kids that want to learn.

Some of the worst schools in the US had heaps of cash thrown on them with no effect. The problem of those schools is cultural not monetary and I think you know that well Endus, you are not just honest enough to admit it.

And you also know that if you prevent rich (or much more truthfully parents interested in the education of their children) parents from ensuring their kids go to good public schools as you proposals would do, they will simply send their children to private schools.

Of course I suspect you do have some wicked "solution" for this too. One which will certainly include dragging everyone to the lowest common denominator as would your ridiculous rule about donations do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    I would love to hear a non totalitarian way to do that.
    Buy a shit load of real estate, give housibg to poor people of all races, open a school there and hope they don't kill each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy a shit load of real estate, give housibg to poor people of all races, open a school there and hope they don't kill each other.
    Been tried with forced bussing before, but people just seem to naturally gravitate to live with other people like them. I am afraid the school would soon become a battleground. There is a reason ghetto schools are now build by the same companies that build prisons and on disturbingly similar blueprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Been tried with forced bussing before, but people just seem to naturally gravitate to live with other people like them. I am afraid the school would soon become a battleground. There is a reason ghetto schools are now build by the same companies that build prisons and on disturbingly similar blueprints.
    Not if I buy enough housing and mandate ethnic quotas on each block.

I work hard and i pay extra to live in a nice neighborhood precisely so my kid can go to a decent school and stay away from the ghetto trash.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Bold part is important. Schools should get equal funding and attention to meet the needs of the school instead of getting special treatment.
    While I agree schools should get equal funding, I don't think we should pool all donations.
    I was donating $500 to my nephew school every autumn to contribute to some thingie they had to bring some extra fruit every day to all kids of the school.
    I liked that idea and donated a tiny bit towards it.

If my money were going to a pool to be used as someone else saw fit, and not where I wanted, I would simply not donate

I dont think there is anything wrong with having black teachers teaching black students exclusively. They are going to understand the struggles and BS that a black student will try to use on them and act accordingly. Truth is that these black students at Evergreen College just want something to fight about even if it makes no sense for them. Taking a self destructive person out of a bad environment isn't enough to stop them from being self destructive.