Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Player Confused over Job Identities

So while I am an extremely experienced player from other MMOs (namely WoW with 10+ years of XP), I am facing a bit of confusion with Jobs. I am currently leveling as a Lancer, and see that I will be able to unlock Dragoon at a later point. My confusion comes from it seems (from strictly watching videos) that Dragoon does not really change anything. I know I can level a different Discipline (?) and change to a different job, but do the Jobs change the gameplay significantly? Or is the Dragoon basically just a Lancer? Am I missing something that isn't obvious to my inexperienced eye? I have already had a friend halfway try to talk me out of Dragoon because he said they are incredibly nerfed and outclassed by other Jobs (don't really care about hardcore content, just don't want to be weak).

Hopefully this makes since. My basic question is do Jobs really change gameplay? And am I making a mistake sticking with Dragoon as my first Job ever?
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

I noticed my damage and complexity (involvement) in fights increase when I finally unlocked the Dragoon. But yeah they are basically a Lancer on steroids.

Class abilities are basically npc level martial/magic abilities, jobs are your chosen one warrior of light OP beyond human/roe/elezenn/au ra/potato limits. You unlock the job, equip the job crystal and do quests to learn more specific things. E.g a rogue just hits things with knives, but the ones that become a ninja unlock Ninjutsu magic. A gladiator doesnt have holy spells or heals, a paladin does and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    So while I am an extremely experienced player from other MMOs (namely WoW with 10+ years of XP), I am facing a bit of confusion with Jobs. I am currently leveling as a Lancer, and see that I will be able to unlock Dragoon at a later point. My confusion comes from it seems (from strictly watching videos) that Dragoon does not really change anything. I know I can level a different Discipline (?) and change to a different job, but do the Jobs change the gameplay significantly? Or is the Dragoon basically just a Lancer? Am I missing something that isn't obvious to my inexperienced eye? I have already had a friend halfway try to talk me out of Dragoon because he said they are incredibly nerfed and outclassed by other Jobs (don't really care about hardcore content, just don't want to be weak).

Hopefully this makes since. My basic question is do Jobs really change gameplay? And am I making a mistake sticking with Dragoon as my first Job ever?
    The way most old jobs work is that they are extensions of their base class. A Lancer to a Dragoon is not a night and day thing since it's really just a different name for the beginning levels of a Dragoon. Night and Day comparison would be like a Dragoon compared against a MNK or a SMN. or any other job.

Hope that helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really just a job name change once you hit 30. The only class it really matters for is the Arcanist who can become either a Scholar or a Summoner depending on the job stone that they have equipped.

It's a bit of a relic from the original FF14 launch that failed. The original game didn't have "Dragoons" or "Paladins" which YoshiP (who took over as game director) thought was weird for a Final Fantasy game so they added the job stones to essentially bring the traditional classes into the game.

Jobs DO start to indicate a shift from a basic playstyle to adding in more complex elements or role specific traits. For my Paladin it was where I got my Tank Stance and where the abilities I was getting started to shift away from "You're fighting with a sword and shield! Yay!" to learning how to use some magic and other aspects of the class. My White Mage started getting CDs as well as abilities that are off the global cooldown. I believe as a Dragoon (haven't played one in ages) your Jumps are off the GCD so that is where some of the complexity starts getting added in. Jumping on the enemy between combos, throwing out Battle Litany, etc...all while making sure you are hitting positionals and avoiding AoE.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Think of Lancer as a Warrior in Wow. Has Basic Moves etc.
    Think of Dragoon as Arm's Spec. Has Basic Moves from Warrior as a Base Class but gains access to Arms only abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Class abilities are basically npc level martial/magic abilities, jobs are your chosen one warrior of light OP beyond human/roe/elezenn/au ra/potato limits. You unlock the job, equip the job crystal and do quests to learn more specific things. E.g a rogue just hits things with knives, but the ones that become a ninja unlock Ninjutsu magic. A gladiator doesnt have holy spells or heals, a paladin does and so on.
    So there will likely be at least some difference in the way I fight when I obtain Dragoon. Right now (albeit only level 16) I have 2 attacks that combo and 1 that applies a static dps buff for 30seconds. I have one skill I see zero use for (3rd skill obtained can't remember name right now) and I just got my first Ranged ability. I understand that this early in the game, combat is super simple, I was just wanting reassurance that it will evolve into something more than what I currently experience.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So there will likely be at least some difference in the way I fight when I obtain Dragoon. Right now (albeit only level 16) I have 2 attacks that combo and 1 that applies a static dps buff for 30seconds. I have one skill I see zero use for (3rd skill obtained can't remember name right now) and I just got my first Ranged ability. I understand that this early in the game, combat is super simple, I was just wanting reassurance that it will evolve into something more than what I currently experience.
    So right now you're dancing between Vorpal, Impulse and Heavy Thrust? Don't worry, it'll get better at around 30 where you'll have a couple more abilities to work with and picks up fast from there.

If you can muster through 1 - 30 as a Lancer then you're pretty much immune to the rest of the game mechanics.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-07-05 at 02:55 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Oh yes, soon you'll have two combos, oGCD attacks, an important buff to maintain with positional attacks, etc. etc. etc. Most jobs start off very basic and by level 40 or so are becoming more involved. Bigger changes arrive in the 50's, and again in the 60's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once you hit higher levels you will basically fill 2 hotbars just with your rotation abilities

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys, I was worried I somehow stumbled into the simplest Job/Discipline possible and was worried about becoming bored. I guess the nice thing about this game is I can always level a different discipline. I will stick to what I have been doing for now. I am really trying to give the game a shot since I have been clean of WOW for a good time now. I guess I just have to slog through the story content right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys, I was worried I somehow stumbled into the simplest Job/Discipline possible and was worried about becoming bored. I guess the nice thing about this game is I can always level a different discipline. I will stick to what I have been doing for now. I am really trying to give the game a shot since I have been clean of WOW for a good time now. I guess I just have to slog through the story content right now.
    Once you slog through 1-50 it really does get quite good. Up to about Patch 2.3 the MSQ is a bit TOO full of "Go here! Talk to X! Go back! GO BACK AGAIN!!!". They tone that down significantly come Heavensward and the story itself becomes much more interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragoon is not really a simple class once you have the abilities.

For reference, here is the Dragoon Opener and Rotation from last expansion. THis also does not show the many off GCD moves that are weaved in between.

Be warned, the Rotations in this game are actually a lot more indepth than in WoW.

One thing I noticed that didn't get fixed for some reason is you get useless abilities early on that are meant to be used in combination with other skills that you don't even get til later. That's one thing that caused me some confusion and people cleared it up for me recently.

Its just slow sub 30, its why the free trial was increased to lvl.35. DRG and PLD in particular start reaaaal slow compared to stuff like BRD,NIN or AST.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post

For reference, here is the Dragoon Opener and Rotation from last expansion. THis also does not show the many off GCD moves that are weaved in between.

SNIP

Be warned, the Rotations in this game are actually a lot more indepth than in WoW.
    Ugh, I'd forgotten how crazy the Dragoon Rotation actually is. I knew there was a reason I didn't start with a Lancer when I made my new character with my RL friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post

**SNIP***

Okay this has me a bit more excited. While I may not understand what half the icons are at this point I do like the idea that there is some variety in what you do based on icons. I wanted more than a 5 button rotation and it appears that I am getting that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay this has me a bit more excited. While I may not understand what half the icons are at this point I do like the idea that there is some variety in what you do based on icons. I wanted more than a 5 button rotation and it appears that I am getting that.
    oh boy, if you want more than a 5 button Rotation, you'll enjoy FF14 haha. I currently use 25 keybinds for my Classes average boss fight. AS in 25 keybinds for Moves that will be used without a doubt during a average Dungeon run.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    Ugh, I'd forgotten how crazy the Dragoon Rotation actually is. I knew there was a reason I didn't start with a Lancer when I made my new character with my RL friends.
    That's the previous expac rotation, new expac rotation is a little less complicated but has more buttons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    One thing I noticed that didn't get fixed for some reason is you get useless abilities early on that are meant to be used in combination with other skills that you don't even get til later. That's one thing that caused me some confusion and people cleared it up for me recently.
    Yeah it is Odd when you get a move that is part 1 of a 3 part combo, yet get the next 2 parts 40 levels later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Its just slow sub 30, its why the free trial was increased to lvl.35. DRG and PLD in particular start reaaaal slow compared to stuff like BRD,NIN or AST.
    Indeed, up until lvl 26, the best rotation is Heavy Thrust for 15% dmg Buff -> Impulse Drive for 30secs - Refresh Heavy Thrust -> repeat. Literally 2 buttons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean really the whole Job vs Class thing is for story flare. From what I understand in Eorzea any joe can walk into the guild and take up a lance, they might even get good at it and become an accomplished lancer. Dragoons on the other hand are of a different breed, like the Lancer they fight with the lance, however their abilities to jump and the like are what define them and make them a cut above the rest.

With that said, you obviously were inquiring play style, as stated above Lancer gets much more complex the higher level you get. Honestly most jobs sub 40 to me are rather boring. I have not played all the melee at low levels since Stormblood, but before Stormblood all the low level melee felt the same baring a few positional here and there. Hell tanks are the same way.... what really defines how each Job plays are their 30+ abilities that are not tied to the base class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.