How can people cast so many chain heals without going out of mana?

I've played resto shaman for almost a month and I see most other shamans have chain heal as their most used healing spell, but I don't understand how they can spam it (and also keep healing rain up all the time) without going oom? My most used spell is usually healing wave and I still go oom.

It's usually not the most casted spell, just the spell that did the most healing over the encounter.

You get a portion of your mana returned when you critically heal, and you won't have to spam your heals as much if you have a healthy amount of intellect and mastery.

Riptide, gift of the Queen, healing tide and healing stream are good spells to weave in between surges, waves and chains as they are very mana efficient.

Taking a few seconds off to let your other healers in the raid to heal instead will also let you regenerate some mana, also keep some mana potions on you.

floodwater relics and heavy crit gear

They don't spam it.

You have to consider efficiency. That is, HP healed per mana. Of course, riptide/HW/HST will be very efficient HPM. But when the raid takes a lot of damage, two things happen: your mastery kicks in and you use CDs. Both make your high HPS spells incredibly more efficient.

So, use healing rain and Chain heal when they effectively heal multiple low life players and combine them with CDs if you can.

Btw if you go oom using mostly HW, there's something very very wrong and I'd have to see some of your logs.

42% crits and 2 chain heal relics. Also it helps my raid dps is in the top 95%.

Quote Originally Posted by Creekz View Post
    Taking a few seconds off to let your other healers in the raid to heal instead will also let you regenerate some mana, also keep some mana potions on you.
    Should I just stand there and do nothing if there's not much to heal? If I do that in a pug, I get kicked for low hps.

I use crashing waves and spam healing wave all the time. Haven't got the hang on AG yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MdAlmighty View Post
    Should I just stand there and do nothing if there's not much to heal? If I do that in a pug, I get kicked for low hps.

I use crashing waves and spam healing wave all the time. Haven't got the hang on AG yet.
    You should never be doing "nothing". Lightning bolt is free. You should be using it during periods of low damage on the raid.

Deleted
    being more efficient with your spells allows you to put out more hps

ToS is pretty predictable and CH is strong -- But nobody spams it. Your time healing should be on tanks and timely chain heals. If you are using healing wave, healing stream totem, Healing rain, riptides, CBT, earth shield totem, gift of the queen, AG, when would you have time to spam it?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, on further review, he is right.On Kil'J I had 46 CH and comparing to some other people with top parses with the same amounts of fight time and gear they had 60 75 ish. I did 600k for that fight so meh but I was oom at the end. 30 more chain heals idk even if I had more crit (and I have alot)and a man trink if I could sustain that.

I am assuming they have 2 set and are getting constant resurgence from riptide and ch as well as regular innervates.

Quote Originally Posted by MdAlmighty View Post
    I've played resto shaman for almost a month and I see most other shamans have chain heal as their most used healing spell, but I don't understand how they can spam it (and also keep healing rain up all the time) without going oom? My most used spell is usually healing wave and I still go oom.
    High +crit rating or mana trinket.

I personally have 42% crit and two throughoutput trinkets.

If there is a Retri Pala in the raid, ask him for BoW buff. Drink mana pot if necessary.
    Last edited by Korban; 2017-07-01 at 01:00 AM.

42 percent - what did that cost you though?

Quote Originally Posted by Jstreet View Post
    42 percent - what did that cost you though?
    Probably a few ilvl or set bonus at least. However it might well suit some particular playstyle or healer team composition. More casts, faster, hitting for less, better for sniping and topping the raid.

I rock 42 crit 9 haste and 100 mastery 2% vers with sea star.

Probably wisdom/innervate. Wisdom, in particular, is egregiously strong for chain heal spam.

Deleted
    i didn't have any innovates and only one potion.

52 chain heal casts and not oom

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...aling&source=1

On a 8:35 Kil'Jaeden HC fight, I had 49 chain heal casts witih a wisdom and ended at 8% mana. I was at 9% overheal on CH. I don't think I would want to cast it much more on that fight. You're probably looking at less CH casts with the 4 set bonus.