Question BM Trinket confusion, My common sense Vs your simulations

I have a Stormbringers Fulmination Charge I think its called? 880 Relinquished

Its approx 1800 Static Agility, with proc of approx 7000 Mastery

Today I got the owl trinket in heroic

Approx 1300 Mastery, and on Use sends an owl to attack

1st of all

My common sense tells me theres no way in hell 1300 Mastery > 1800 Agility

2nd of all

The owl literally disappears if its target dies, making it utterly worthless unless used against a boss

I assume the simulations, are assuming that you can actually unleash the owl for its full duration, every 2minutes, on the minute

Which is literally just never the case unless you're fighting a raid boss

Basically, I figure this new trinket probably is better on raid bosses, but that my common sense is urging me to keep the old trinket equipped for everything else

Am I crazy for defying what the almighty websites & simulations say? Or am I justified in what Im thinking is common sense?

Icyveins INSIST the owl trinket is BiS, Askmrrobot tells me its a 16k dps upgrade to the old trinket, Im just having a hard time believing this

Oh and when I examined the damage breakdown even on a boss, the owl was only 5% of my dps...

(& yes, owl was used with pot, bestial wrath, hero, everything, Im not impressed, no way in hell is a 5% dps boost once every 2minutes gonna beat out spamming kill commands with 7000 more mastery & 1800 more agility....)
    Last edited by Joobulon; 2017-06-28 at 07:52 AM.

All standard sims assume a target that lives for however long the simulation lasts. If you're just mowing through dungeon trash that dies in 5-10 seconds, it's going to be shit.

Stormsinger is a horrible trinket. Get a stat stick from H/M ToV or Relinquished.

Napkin Math:

Stormsinger's on 880 gives you 1712 agility and 784 Mastery every sec for 10 sec and then decays over 10 seconds.
    Simplified, one proc gives you an average of 3920 Mastery over 20 seconds.
    Seems to have around 0,7 RPPM, so it's an average of 0,7*3920*20/60=915 Mastery.

915 Mastery

For a decently geared BM hunter, Mastery and agility both grant you around 25dps per point, so the trinket gives you (915+1712)*25=65675 dps

The Tarnished Sentinel Medallion on 900 (Normal ToS iLvl) gives you 1180 Mastery and 72001 damage over 20 seconds + 22*84002 damage every 2 minutes

This sums up to 1180*25 = 29500 dps from stats and (72001*20 + 22*84002)/120 = 27400,5 dps from the proc -> 29500+27400,5=56900,5 dps

Not sure if it can crit, but then it would increase the proc damage by around 30% on the average BM -> 29500+27400,5*1,3=65120,65 dps

Both trinkets can be alligned with Cooldowns, but since the Medallion is on use, it's way easier to set up and works every time without unnecessarily delaying skills, so I guess it should have the edge there even on Normal ToS ilvl (assuming it can crit and the target lives for the full duration)
    Last edited by andreasels; 2017-06-28 at 08:57 AM.

Do we know if the Owl that is spawned from Sentinel Medallion is affected in real time by BW or is it considered a "snapshot dot" type mechanic. If it's real time and you pop it like AMOC and then chain 2 BWs, buffing it for the whole duration, that would amplify the damage considerably. Alternatively, it would also be good if you could just use it right at the peak of your buffs (ie. concordance, BW, AotW, whatever trinket, etc).

I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere but I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joobulon View Post
    The owl literally disappears if its target dies, making it utterly worthless unless used against a boss

I assume the simulations, are assuming that you can actually unleash the owl for its full duration, every 2minutes, on the minute

Which is literally just never the case unless you're fighting a raid boss

Oh and when I examined the damage breakdown even on a boss, the owl was only 5% of my dps...
    I agree that 5% is unimpressive. I've seen several public logs showing it between 4% and 6%, which is consistent with you. From logs it's also very clear that Bestial Wrath does not apply (it deals more damage as Marksman, since the crit increase of Trueshot does apply).

It is pretty common to assume you're fightinf a raid boss for 2 reasons:
    1) Raid bosses are the hardest content of the game - so it's against which optimizing dps is more relevant
    2) You can probably cleave on almost every other trash pull that isn't a boss, at which point a trinket that improves your cleave is clearly more effective

You can run sims on multiple targets as well, and those should show that the owl trinket is a lot weaker.

Deleted
    Have you noticed that the owls dmg goes up if you use it during bestial wrath?

The owl also counts as a pet and make cobra shot hit harder.

Quote Originally Posted by hunten View Post
    The owl also counts as a pet and make cobra shot hit harder.
    That's interesting. Is it's dmg affected by BW?

Not sure, it is treated as a "guardian" from what I read so I would think no, but it does count towards your pet count from everything I have read.