PSA for PS4 players

There is no official announcement of this and I wasn't aware of it until it happened to me yesterday but a power failure on the PS4 will corrupt you FFXIV data and force you to re download the entire 22.7 gb. SE is aware of the issue but doesn't have a fix yet. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...43#post4220843

Be careful with how you turn off your PS4 and invest in a surge protector or backup power supply

Doesn't the ps4 warn you that improper shutdowns can corrupt data. SE is aware, and doesn't have a fix, because they arent going to reinvent the dam wheel. Im sure if i slam power to my pc i run the same risk.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's sadly a problem with every single machine. The problem is when it data writing gets interrupted unexpectedly mid flight and things go very wrong. Of course a back up power supply works. Another choice you can do is a drive with power loss protection, full or partial. It has a capacitor that holds power and basically keeps the SSD powered on a sudden shut off. The most cheapest ones without going full enterprise is Crucial MX#00 series. This is only partial power protection though, so what it means is data that's already written does not get corrupted but in flight data to be written would not be protected, full protection would include the in flight but that becomes significantly more expensive. Either way it basically would just prevent what you described from happening.
    MX300 also incidentally has one of the best price/GB for an SSD. Of course this is the expensive solution but it's something I guess. Just go with a back up power supply, a good one helps with all of your components anyways.

For PC this gets slightly abated by a PSU with good hold up time but it's not guaranteed. Hold up time is basically on power outages how long a PSU stays 'powered on' (and hopefully within spec) before completely shutting off. There is an actual ATX spec for it, 17ms but it's not always met and some manufacturers cheat it by not turning off the PWR_OK signal before the 12V lanes go out of spec which then puts strain on the hardware.
    Problem is it requires significantly higher component cost and some extremely awesome engineers to achieve it and no one advertises it except SeaSonic, and even then it's basically a footnote. There's also the problem that it differs from when the AC wave is turned off like whether it's at the peak of the wave or not so it's not really straight forward to begin with.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-07-02 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    Doesn't the ps4 warn you that improper shutdowns can corrupt data. SE is aware, and doesn't have a fix, because they arent going to reinvent the dam wheel. Im sure if i slam power to my pc i run the same risk.
    Never had a problem before storm blood and neither have many of the people in the SE forums. Besides that it will happen even if you aren't using FFXIV. That's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Never had a problem before storm blood and neither have many of the people in the SE forums. Besides that it will happen even if you aren't using FFXIV. That's a problem.
    No it isn't a problem and Remilia has already explained to you why. This can happen with any tech that reads/writes. Doesn't matter if its ur ps4,pc,tablet or phone.

It isn't some bug, its what happens with tech. Dam near all of it (if not all) even warns u it can happen. There isn't a single game out there that says "Do not cut the power while saving"
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No it isn't a problem and Remilia has already explained to you why. This can happen with any tech that reads/writes. Doesn't matter if its ur ps4,pc,tablet or phone.

It isn't some bug, its what happens with tech. Dam near all of it (if not all) even warns u it can happen. There isn't a single game out there that says "Do not cut the power while saving"
    So please explain to me how it would happen if it's not even being used? Remilia's explanation didn't cover that. Or why it never happened before SB but is consistently happening now?

And by the way, since my original postSE has indeed admitted it's a problem and have placed a warning on lodestone.

So please explain to me how it would happen if it's not even being used? Remilia's explanation didn't cover that. Or why it never happened before SB but is consistently happening now?

And by the way, since my original postSE has indeed admitted it's a problem and have placed a warning on lodestone.
    What do you mean it would happen if it's not being used?

The Ps4 has a HD correct? Any of that data can get corrupt if the system just loses power, It could be FFXIV it could be Horizon Zero Dawn it could be anything. Once again its not a problem that can be fixed and isn't anything new.

There isn't a Smart Phone, Tabet,PC or Console on this planet that it can't happen to.

This is basic tech 101 and there is nothing SE or anyone else can really do to keep it from happening. If your system just loses power, Data can get corrupted and sometimes it even locks the device up.

Yes they admit it is a problem, Just like its a problem for any other game that it can happen to. There is no fix and they provided a warning that most games provide already....
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Thanks for the heads up! =D

What do you mean it would happen if it's not being used?

The Ps4 has a HD correct? Any of that data can get corrupt if the system just loses power, It could be FFXIV it could be Horizon Zero Dawn it could be anything. Once again its not a problem that can be fixed and isn't anything new.

There isn't a Smart Phone, Tabet,PC or Console on this planet that it can't happen to.

This is basic tech 101 and there is nothing SE or anyone else can really do to keep it from happening. If your system just loses power, Data can get corrupted and sometimes it even locks the device up.

Yes they admit it is a problem, Just like its a problem for any other game that it can happen to. There is no fix and they provided a warning that most games provide already....
    If it's not being accessed at the time there shouldn't be any danger of it being corrupted. You're also ignoring the fact that it is CONSISTENTLY happening now. I've had several power failures while playing in HW and it never happened then. You also seem to be misunderstanding that when SE said it was a problem that they were admitting that there is something wrong with the way SB is reacting with power failures, not just " standard warnings that every other games give".

@rawrgh you're most welcome. I'm glad to be able to spread the word to people who haven't heard. That was the point of this thread.

If it's not being accessed at the time there shouldn't be any danger of it being corrupted. You're also ignoring the fact that it is CONSISTENTLY happening now. I've had several power failures while playing in HW and it never happened then. You also seem to be misunderstanding that when SE said it was a problem that they were admitting that there is something wrong with the way SB is reacting with power failures, not just " standard warnings that every other games give".

@rawrgh you're most welcome. I'm glad to be able to spread the word to people who haven't heard. That was the point of this thread.
    And you seem to be misunderstanding how tech works and like I said Remilia has already explained it to you. It doesn't have to be accessed to get corrupted..

Just it being on the HD can get corrupted.

And you seem to be misunderstanding how tech works and like I said Remilia has already explained it to you. It doesn't have to be accessed to get corrupted..

Just it being on the HD can get corrupted.
    Ok, tech expert, why is SB the only thing to get corrupted? Shouldn't everything I have on my PS4 have to be completely reinstalled? If it happened once to a few people I can understand what you guys are talking about. That's not what's happening though. It's a consistent universal problem that will happen every time. Yes, there's a chance that data can be corrupted in a power failure but it is not a consistent or sure thing.

I'm not sure why you're so reluctant to call this what it is, a bug. Especially because the developers and Sony have already admitted it. The word is out there, people have been warned. You can continue arguing with a wall if that's what makes you feel better.

Ok, tech expert, why is SB the only thing to get corrupted? Shouldn't everything I have on my PS4 have to be completely reinstalled?
    Nope, Just like how if ur PC went out you could have X get corrupted but everything else runs fine. Feel free to google these things.

Once again Remilia has already explained it to you, I don't care to repeat myself anymore then I already have.

10+ Year Old Account

That's not really how it works. It doesn't matter if you're accessing the data for data corruption to occur, doubly so for SSD. HDDs can get fragmented data and in essence the data isn't written entirely sequentially and is spread out throughout the platters. So long as the needle accidentally miswrote or partially wrote (corrupted) it can affect whatever is written in that sector or meta data may be corrupted due it not being saved properly. SSD is the same way, data can be written in the wrong place or not fully written or metadata can get corrupted.

It's just how electronic storage works.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, if you have problems with it, make sure to get power loss protection drives or uninterruptable power supplies for all your components, cause that's an inherent problem with all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    That's not really how it works. It doesn't matter if you're accessing the data for data corruption to occur, doubly so for SSD. HDDs can get fragmented data and in essence the data isn't written entirely sequentially and is spread out throughout the platters. So long as the needle accidentally miswrote or partially wrote (corrupted) it can affect whatever is written in that sector or meta data may be corrupted due it not being saved properly. SSD is the same way, data can be written in the wrong place or not fully written or metadata can get corrupted.

It's just how electronic storage works.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, if you have problems with it, make sure to get power loss protection drives or uninterruptable power supplies for all your components, cause that's an inherent problem with all of them.
    Would it happen consistently to the same files regardless of them being used or not and every time and not affect any other files? The odds of that happening seem astronomical.

I suggested people buy a surge protector or backup power supply in my OP. That was kinda the point of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would it happen consistently to the same files regardless of them being used or not and every time and not affect any other files? The odds of that happening seem astronomical.

I suggested people buy a surge protector or backup power supply in my OP. That was kinda the point of this thread.
    It's always a possibility. Without knowing further as to the specifics, like what type of corruption, I can't really say much more. My guess would be metadata related.

Have people just never had power cuts before? this is always a random chance, especially with the 'not off, just sleeping and still doing shit on some level' modern consoles. its the modern version of ripping your memory card out while saving. Extremely unlikely but always possible. Just takes bumping the plug while hoovering.

I've had this happen to me twice. I almost always keep my PS4 in rest mode, but lately we've had storms. First time this happened there was no news out about it, so I chalked it up to a bad screenshot save (which has a history). Then everyone else started posting their issues. So, I've been pretty meticulous about always shutting down my PS4 when not playing to avoid this, except for the one time I was just stepping away for a short time and put it in rest mode. In that 15 minute window BAM power blip that shut off the system.

What's strange is that SE is saying they are working with Sony on this, which is odd because this never happened prior to 4.0, and the PS4 system software hasn't changed (aside from a small patch to fix another PS4 FFXIV bug). So it's very clearly an SE issue to resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracian View Post
    I've had this happen to me twice. I almost always keep my PS4 in rest mode, but lately we've had storms. First time this happened there was no news out about it, so I chalked it up to a bad screenshot save (which has a history). Then everyone else started posting their issues. So, I've been pretty meticulous about always shutting down my PS4 when not playing to avoid this, except for the one time I was just stepping away for a short time and put it in rest mode. In that 15 minute window BAM power blip that shut off the system.

What's strange is that SE is saying they are working with Sony on this, which is odd because this never happened prior to 4.0, and the PS4 system software hasn't changed (aside from a small patch to fix another PS4 FFXIV bug). So it's very clearly an SE issue to resolve.

Presumably it's the way that the PS4 recovery is reacting with the Stormblood files and SE might not be able to change that.