Need a replacement MB/CPU for an old z77 setup

I have what is a decently powerful setup for my needs right now but the motherboard in particular is showing its age (It's a z77 sabertooth with a 3700k) and no longer plays nice with newer hardware and software so I'm looking to modernize in that dept.

My intent is to keep my case, drives, power supply and GPU which all still work just fine and merely replace the motherboard/processor/memory setup).

I created a sample build with most of my current setup. The items that I am not intending to replace
    (at least not now) have been marked off as purchased.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bsdwbj

My needs for the motherboard are as follows:
    Intel socket for a current gen i5 or i7 (i5 is placeholder in the build)
    Room for a second GPU for SLI at a later date
    connections for a total of 8 sata drives w/ RAID1 support
    Mild overclocking support
    Preferred MSI or ASUS
    Ideally at least 6 USB ports (2.0 is fine for most of them) excluding the ones on the case.

Ideally the CPU/Mobo/Memory trifecta should come in at under $600. I have a heatsink placeholder in the build build but I'm open to suggestions (considering moving my giant honking Zalman over from my current build but something smaller and quieter might be nice)

When it comes down to it my end goal is to replace my z77 sabertooth and processor with current gen equivalents to eliminate nagging compatibility issues with the newer hardware/software in my system. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.
    Last edited by Alfador; 2017-06-29 at 04:46 PM.

What do you mean with not playing nice with new hardware?

There is no new hardware on the market that wont work perfectly fine with that board, aside from thunderbolt or usb 3.1....which you can get with addon cards.

More likely it's newer software. The last BIOS release was early 2014 and none of the motherboard utilities support W10. The SATA controller is also behaving with a notable lack of stability (drives confirmed to be healthy on other machines lose a fair amount of responsiveness). There are other things too. Specifically, everything works on paper, but performance isn't where it should otherwise be given the system specs. Near as I can tell it's not getting the full potential out of the GPU either.

I suppose I could try new or increased memory but spend money on memory for a 4+ year old board that wouldn't work with a replacement anyway.
    Last edited by Alfador; 2017-06-29 at 09:42 PM.

Not at all a fan of going with an i5 setup at current price points and design trajectory. Having only 4 cores and no Hyperthreading is likely going to become a bottleneck sooner rather than later, as we already have some games that are starting to be able to saturate 4 threads. Not only that, the 7600K is at best a marginal upgrade over your current 3700K if not actually a downgrade for some applications (anything with heavy multithreading). Don't see it being a real upgrade of any kind.

If you really want to upgrade/rebuild and actually potentially get some added value from your purchase, I would strongly consider a R5 1600 based build. That is $30 cheaper, comes with a reasonable heatsink (saving you money there), and gets your feet in the door with a 6 core/12 thread setup that likely has more future proofing. If you really want to stay Intel, I wouldn't go lower than an i7-7700k, and even then 3700k to 7700k is really at best an incremental update.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tG9d7h would be what I would go with

15+ Year Old Account
    There is no such animal as a 3700k. How are you guys giving him advice against a cpu that doesnt exist?

3750k or 3770k, which is it as that makes a huge difference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    There is no such animal as a 3700k. How are you guys giving him advice against a cpu that doesnt exist?

3750k doesn't exist either

It's 3570k vs 3770k, so "3700k" seems to point towards the i7.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post

That's my mistake, a typo. Should have been an i7 3770k.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not just replace the board and save like $500?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

You guys are right, I mistyped the CPU. It's a 3770k.

I'm not really inclined to replace just the board because I really don't want to deal with transferring the windows license unless I'm upgrading. I suppose it's something to consider though. I might just suck it up and deal with the weird sata and usb controller issues, throw some memory in to bring it up to 16gb and ride it out for another year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfador View Post
    You guys are right, I mistyped the CPU. It's a 3770k.

I'm not really inclined to replace just the board because I really don't want to deal with transferring the windows license unless I'm upgrading. I suppose it's something to consider though. I might just suck it up and deal with the weird sata and usb controller issues, throw some memory in to bring it up to 16gb and ride it out for another year or so.
    I wouldn't throw any more RAM in there unless you are using some application that will actually make use of it. In gaming, with 65 Chrome Tabs open, there is almost no difference between 4GB, 8GB and 16GB. In addition to that, if you do upgrade in a year or so, the DDR3 RAM you buy for your current setup is not compatible with any of the new CPUs that all use DDR4 RAM. So if just for gaming it would be like flushing money down the toilet. No gains and can't use it in next build. If you are using some sort of professional application or video editing or something like that and that RAM will actually be of use to you, just ignore me.