Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Shadow/Holy/Discipline new spell effects and animations

Here are all new animations and spell effects from the latest PTR patch, in high quality and in all the detail (each gif is clickable).

Shadow:

Shadowform
    Spoiler: 

Mind Blast
    Spoiler: 

Shadow Word: Pain
    Spoiler: 

Vampiric Touch
    Spoiler: 

Void Eruption / Void Form (Basic)
    Spoiler: 

Void Form (15+ stacks)
    Spoiler: 

Void Bolt
    Spoiler: 

Mind Flay
    Spoiler: 

Shadow Word: Death
    Spoiler: 

Shadow Word: Void
    Spoiler: 

Levitation
    Spoiler: 

Holy:

Holy Nova
    Spoiler: 

Holy Word: Sanctify
    Spoiler: 

Prayer of Healing
    Spoiler: 

Outdated one
    Spoiler: 

Mass Dispel
    Spoiler: 

Divine Hymn
    Spoiler: 

Heal
    Spoiler: 

Discipline:

Penance
    Spoiler: 

Smite
    Spoiler: 

Power Word: Barrier
    Spoiler: 

Power Word: Radiance
    Spoiler: 
    Last edited by Tirilka; 2017-08-15 at 09:40 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    These new animations turn me tf ON!

- - - Updated - - -

Being that Sphere of Insanity is part of the artifact weapon I doubt that it'll have any type of animations which is meh but we're getting these near the end of Legion so I can't blame'em

- - - Updated - - -

I adore the levitation while in VF. It totally gives Shadow Priest hella flavor!

The levitation looks a bit odd, especially with how you just kinda awkwardly snap back down onto the ground afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    The levitation looks a bit odd, especially with how you just kinda awkwardly snap back down onto the ground afterward.
    It's only noticeable in such calculated environment. When casting spells non-stop, WoW system of instant animation makes it indistinguishable from the general flow of the character animation.

Quote Originally Posted by RsinRC View Post
    These new animations turn me tf ON!

- - - Updated - - -

Being that Sphere of Insanity is part of the artifact weapon I doubt that it'll have any type of animations which is meh but we're getting these near the end of Legion so I can't blame'em

- - - Updated - - -

I adore the levitation while in VF. It totally gives Shadow Priest hella flavor!
    Sphere is the same, as far as I can tell.
    Levitation seems to be kinda Priest's quirk now - both Holy and Shadow use it heavily, and it's awesome indeed

Deleted
    They are all so pretty!
    PW: Barrier, Holy Nova and Sanctify are probably my faves. Those waves of light are so well done.

Thank you for sharing Tirilka!

Power Word: Radiance has a new visual effect. Looks similar to the new Prayer of Healing, but instead of angel wings and light coursing through the body in one piece, there are two wisps, yellow and light blue, going from each feet to the opposite hand.

Also, Mind Blast now has a pretty unique feature only shared by the new Arcane Blast - they have a visual that progresses with the cast time on the target, which culminates with an explosion. In case of Mind Blast, it looks like a small piece of the Void itself, with edges of darkness engulfing nothingness. Wicked cool.

Both added in the original post, too.

Does the voidform visual still have waterwalking and slowfalling effects or have they finally removed them?
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2017-07-31 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Does the voidform visual still have waterwalking and slowfalling effects or have they finally removed them?
    It neither slowfalls, nor waterwalks. The levitation part is purely visual.

Speaking of, the actual levitation spell now has you leaning slightly forward when moving (not noticable if camera looks from the back, like usual)

Quote Originally Posted by Tirilka View Post
    It neither slowfalls, nor waterwalks. The levitation part is purely visual.
    Cool.

Speaking of, the actual levitation spell now has you leaning slightly forward when moving (not noticable if camera looks from the back, like usual)
    Nice, it's almost hard to believe not long ago they just raised our characters a bit from the ground but they kept walking and moving normally.

I assume this applies to Levitate and other "levitation" effects from quests and boss mechanics too?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Cool.

Nice, it's almost hard to believe not long ago they just raised our characters a bit from the ground but they kept walking and moving normally.

I assume this applies to Levitate and other "levitation" effects from quests and boss mechanics too?
    Yeah, only in Pandaria it stopped the weird walking animation during levitation.

Don't know, I can't remember any levitate effects from quests or bosses. They probably should have similar behavior.

That shoulder armor clipping, tho.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    I didn't notice until you said that, but I still use the MoP CM shoulders - they're gonna decapitate me every time...

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Male Panda sPriest here.

First. Mind Flay channel during Voidform is simply a no go in its current form. Even hiding my shouders armor, my characters shoulders still clip into my head, looks horrible.

Second. im not a fan of Levitating Void form, even so i give 10/10 for new Voidform visual, but still, not a fan of levitating and would like to see atleast glyph that grounds me, to disable that levitate thing. Casting MB and SW while running in both forms looks really odd too, like a bit*hslap on the go.
    Maybe its just a personal taste, but i dont like levitating much, specially not levitating pandas, all in all it looks odd.

Third. Void Bolt, and overall Voidform spells. Voidform uses Void energy, which is as such far superior than Shadow, i expected of Void Bolt (and all versions of Void spells) to look far, far FAR more beefier, bigger.. like "Shadow Crash" talent. Youre not using Shadow any more, youre using pure Void Energy, seeing one big bolt flying at you fired by pure Void Entity will make you.. crap ur pants.
    If in any means infamous Void expansion happens and we came across some twisted void things that fire ultra mega giga Void Bolts like we have, my warrior will laugh it off with Battle Cry+Rampage and simply deal with it.

Finally. Battle stance. Shadow's horrific. I do understand why Holy and Disc have that "divine-ish" battle stance, they are servitors of the Light, and as such they tend to have that protective "touched by the light" non-aggressive stance looking mildly at the sky. Dunno why. Nor how do they, as such, see battle field normally, but hey. They look divine-ish looking at the sky. Running in that "divine-ish" pose look funny tho.
    Shadow, on other hand, has nothing to do with it, its a Shadow/Void acolyte, Servant of the Void etc etc.. as such, WTH it has to stare in the sky with the same "divine-ish" non-aggressive pose? You are no bringer of the light, nor protector, therefor theres no room for that non-aggressive stance, it needs to be faaar more aggressive. Like Mages have, i love it.
    Levitating/Running around with that non-aggressive "divine-ish" battle stance while "slapping" those Mind Blasts and Shadow Word: Deaths when your Artifact whisper's you a ton of shadowy stuff into your brain and corrupting you even further is somehow out of the place.

TL;DR: Really happy with Light side of the spec animations, Holy and Disc, but equally unhappy with Shadows as, somewhere in my head, some things in those NEW animations have no logic with "Lore" and "fantasy," spec identity, behind Shadow priests. Overall current shadow on Live even so without battle stance, looks more aggressive than PTR version of it, only things that would make it perfect is Mages battle stance and new Void Form Visual.
    Atleast for me, somehow Shadows current PTR battle stance is out of the place, as i said, its not Healing role so that non-aggressive "divinish" thing is a no go, its a damage role and its battle stance needs to be far more aggressive, resembling Mages one at least.
    Overall, Shadow could adopt most of Mages animation. Charge up animation for Pyro/Flame looks ultra cool too.

Its not "huumm i will hit you with my bolts while looking at the sky, ill be gentle."
    It should be "i will rip your very soul apart and it will hurt."

Honestly i would be quite ok with it if i thought that this is the early stage and they are still experimenting with animation changes and how they affect spec identity, however seeing that they bring in much of Argus in i would say that they are pretty deep into the patch content.
    I wouldnt rant so much if im not aware that we will be stuck with these animation for quite some time if they go Live as such. Im not happy knowing that ill levitate 90% of combat time. Other 10% of the combat ill be stuck in non-aggressive battle stance searing at the sky.

Fun fact: will most of Twilight Hammer NPCs levitate too? Most of them are sPriests in its base, even so being called cultist.
    Last edited by Gurg; 2017-08-01 at 08:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyanmaru View Post
    It's not nerfed unless it's live.

Those new animations have a very fresh look, loving it! But still no new PW:Shield animation...

They should swap the VF with SF look wise excluding the flaming-aura, so that while in SF we are purple/black and going into VF makes us even darker.

Also would be nice if that flaming aura scaled with insanity or flared up in combat, so at 0 insanity or OOC we just had the glow form and when in combat we get that aura or have it scale up as we get more insanity.

New PW:R looks fantastic. I love the blue representing a calmer side of the Shadow (the color makes me think of Elune).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, only in Pandaria it stopped the weird walking animation during levitation.

Don't know, I can't remember any levitate effects from quests or bosses. They probably should have similar behavior.
    They updated quite a few of the Disc animations in the latest build, notably Penance (has a DPS version and a healing version now) and Shadowmend, if you wanted to add the newest versions to your OP. Thanks for consolidating all of them here, btw =]

Deleted
    Heal
    Spoiler: 
    Does this show a SKULL when Heal is cast, or it's just the boobs poking through the effect? I've been staring at it so much I cannot decide

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    They updated quite a few of the Disc animations in the latest build, notably Penance (has a DPS version and a healing version now) and Shadowmend, if you wanted to add the newest versions to your OP. Thanks for consolidating all of them here, btw =]
    Don't know anything about that - my PTR (updated just today) doesn't have any new penance or shadowmend. The only different things are:

Prayer of Healing
    Now sends 2 waves of light towards the main target, similar to restoration shaman new healing effects. The waves are purely visual, the spell still doesn't have a travel time - the heal is applied strictly at the end of the cast.

And Void Torrent
    It now has multiple ribbons of pink instead of the current 2.

So Blizzard invested a shitload of time into new spell animations.... and PW:S is still that stinky 2D texture that rotates with the camera and looks cheap as hell... while every other absorb effect is like that insane lightshow or at least 3d?.... no comment on that