Steam or standalone?

Are there any drawbacks to buying this game on Steam? I ask because I've used the standalone client for the free trial till level 35, but it had horrendous download speeds, whereas Steam always maxes out my line. Are there any accounting issues or login issues or anything detrimental to the Steam client?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have not heard of people having issues recently, but at the start of Heavensward two of my friends who played though steam had issues. I don't really remember the details, but I think most steam issues have been resolved.

Don't take my word for it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Four of my friends own the Steam version and haven't had any issue so far. The Steam version though is basically the same thing as the regular one. It wont fix any download issues because you still have to go through the games actual launcher to download stuff.. Well that is if they didn't add Heavensward and Stormblood to the initial Steam download but I somewhat doubt that.

Another thing you have to also know is that you cant have both a regular Windows version and Steam version on the same account. So since you already made an account if you want to keep that you have to buy a non Steam version or start over with a new account for Steam.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2017-07-03 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Another thing you have to also know is that you cant have both a regular Windows version and Steam version on the same account. So since you already made an account if you want to keep that you have to buy a non Steam version or start over with a new account for Steam.
    Well, fuck. Guess my hands are tied then. And since you said I'd have to use the game's launcher to download new content anyway, there's no reason for me to use Steam...my main reasoning behind it was to bypass the launcher's download.

5+ Year Old Account
    Ok so if you decide to go standalone and buy stormblood, does that include all the previous titles are well? Ive been wanting to try this game out because it looks amazing and wow is getting a bit stale for me but this Steam or standalones issue kinda put me off from buying it.

Stormblood comes with Heavensword but not the original game. You'll have to buy the complete edition or the base game separate

Either. Only drawback to Steam is it locks you out of Physical CE's for ARR and Heavensward. Steam finally got it's own Stormblood Physical CE on the Square store.

I use Steam and I've not had any issues with code redemption.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-03 at 06:34 PM.

I've always cautioned people to not use the Steam client, unless they are really tied to the Steam service. There's just too many restrictions on how you can acquire the game. If there are ever any sales on Amazon or another vendor (which happens frequently) and you're looking to buy the expansion you're SOL. At least having the standalone version path lets you choose what vendors you want to buy from. For example, Amazon Prime had a nice discount for it's members on games, including SB. I paid $32 for the PS4 physical copy (same price for PC digital/physical). Steam was still selling it for full price. Small discount, but nice option.