Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Steam Game Controller?

I'm looking at buy some games off Steam since I've grown bored with WoW. Is there a special controller I need for these? And if so, where do I get one? Thanks

PS: I have a logitech controller, is that supported?

If it's recognized by windows, you can use it on any game that supports controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    If it's recognized by windows, you can use it on any game that supports controllers.
    welp, I bought a game off steam...and I've been sitting here for an hour trying to get my dual shock 3 controller to work with no success

Xbone controller or bust. If your PC doesn't have Bluetooth you can get a Microsoft controller dongle for about $20. The Xbone controllers have way better native support on windows....

Granted most Steam PC games were meant to use the keyboard. Keep in mind on the FPS games if you use a controller you will not have the aim assist you do on the console version,putting you at a double disadvantage. 1 being using a controller on pc fps 2 being no aim assist on said controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Xbone controller or bust. If your PC doesn't have Bluetooth you can get a Microsoft controller dongle for about $20. The Xbone controllers have way better native support on windows....

Granted most Steam PC games were meant to use the keyboard. Keep in mind on the FPS games if you use a controller you will not have the aim assist you do on the console version,putting you at a double disadvantage. 1 being using a controller on pc fps 2 being no aim assist on said controller.
    I have no idea what you are saying. So I have to use an xbox controller? what is xbone?

You're buying PC games off Steam? The controllers will be no different from buying a PC game in any other way - they're handled by the games not Steam. So it all depends what game you're playing.

If the game supports controllers and you're having trouble getting it to recognise yours you should check with the game's support, or forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You're buying PC games off Steam? The controllers will be no different from buying a PC game in any other way - they're handled by the games not Steam. So it all depends what game you're playing.

If the game supports controllers and you're having trouble getting it to recognise yours you should check with the game's support, or forums.
    the game i bought has full controller support...no idea how to get my logitech or ps3 controller to work

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zimboombafoo View Post
    the game i bought has full controller support...no idea how to get my logitech or ps3 controller to work
    ps3 controllers are only going to work with some special programs and fucking around, I used to do it but wouldn't recommend it.

An Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller works fine, or a supported USB controller.

where can i get an xbox controller without ordering one online? gamestop?

10+ Year Old Account
    PS4 controllers will work, I use mine a lot.

PS3 though are another story.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    a chorded Xbox 360 controller works for any game with controller support, and for the most part transitioning from controller to keyboard is seamless. For example when i play Battlefield 1 or 4 of Star wars battefront i gun with KBM and fly vehicles with my controller as soon as you hit a button or move the mouse the game will switch over instantly. Get you a 30 dollar xbox 360 controller

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    a chorded Xbox 360 controller works for any game with controller support, and for the most part transitioning from controller to keyboard is seamless. For example when i play Battlefield 1 or 4 of Star wars battefront i gun with KBM and fly vehicles with my controller as soon as you hit a button or move the mouse the game will switch over instantly. Get you a 30 dollar xbox 360 controller
    and nowwwwwwwwwww. i just went and bought an xbox controller. nothing happens when i plug it in and it's not turning on. it's brand new..

A PS3 controller needs a 3rd party application to use it, Windows won't identify it otherwise.

If you bought a regular, corded Xbox 360 controller, it should work just fine. That's what I use, along with the Steam Controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate my steam controller.
    It's sitting in a box and I just use my DS4

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    A PS3 controller needs a 3rd party application to use it, Windows won't identify it otherwise.

If you bought a regular, corded Xbox 360 controller, it should work just fine. That's what I use, along with the Steam Controller.
    is there something I have to download first? It's not turning on and nothing happens when I plug it into my pc. it's a brand new xbox controller

is there something I have to download first? It's not turning on and nothing happens when I plug it into my pc. it's a brand new xbox controller
    Shouldn't have to, but there is a driver.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...r-windows-help

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Shouldn't have to, but there is a driver.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...r-windows-help
    there is no direct link to a driver. it just tells me to go to the windows download section. i have no idea what i'm looking for

everytime I plug it in it fails to install the software and says no driver found

this is an xbox one controller, not 360
    Last edited by zimboombafoo; 2017-07-04 at 03:01 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    welp, I bought a game off steam...and I've been sitting here for an hour trying to get my dual shock 3 controller to work with no success

Not all games support controllers.

IF you want to be sure, get an xbox controller. It's plug and play.

PS4 controllers are fully supported by Steam, so that would be my recommendation. An Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller should work just fine as well, so I'm not sure why you're having problems.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    there is no direct link to a driver. it just tells me to go to the windows download section. i have no idea what i'm looking for

everytime I plug it in it fails to install the software and says no driver found

this is an xbox one controller, not 360

Odd, I didn't have to do a thing to get my controller to work.

Wait. isn't xbox one controllers wireless only?(guess not)

Xbox one controller requires a special driver it seems. Try this.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23610...-pc-games.html
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2017-07-04 at 03:07 AM.