Deleted

1080 ti FE - sometimes forget about temperature target on stock.

Hello.
    Card is Gtx 1080 Ti FE all on stock, default stock fan curve. No installed any utilities,like Afterburner or Precision.
    I have an question. My card sometimes forget about temperature target, which resulting on higher clocks than usual, higher fan speed, and higher temps. GPUZ NOT REPORTING THERMAL LIMIT. ONLY PWR LIMIT.

Its mostly often after computer being idle long time. After that time i run benchmark, and fan speed goes slowly to max 60% , clocks are higher and temps are higher. GPUZ NOT REPORTING THERMAL LIMIT. ONLY PWR LIMIT.

But in the most cases, when i run the same benchmark ( doesnt matter what benchmark ) fan speed will go to max 49%,clocks are lower and temps are lower. AND THEN GPUZ REPORTING THERMAL LIMIT.

ANy ideas?
    Last edited by mmoc59d9a651d0; 2017-07-03 at 09:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can only suggest to install Afterburner and watch the statistics on it.
    PM me weird stuff :3

What are you reading for temperatures on the card? My understanding is that the card has a default target temperature of 84 C, and I have seen it easily hit 87-88 C at times. From my experience, it often hits the temperature target and maximum target at about the same 84 C level, so it's very possible it's just hitting the power target at about the same time. You'd have to install Afterburner and set a more aggressive fan curve to curb that tendency (at the expense of some extra fan noise).

Deleted
    Normally my Gtx 1080 TI FE stock reference hits max 83-84°C and throttle, most of the time the gpu sits at 83-84C°C with 49% auto fan.

I tried some benchmarks like 3dmark or Heaven and my GPU reached quickly 86-87°C at 60% auto fan speed.

First i thought there is something wrong with my cooling but everything is fine, no dust.

After that i started 3DMark at 1080p and the GPU reached 86-87°C again. I decided to watch everything on the GPU with gpuz, especially the Clocks. Now the strange thing, the GPU was not downclocking. Normally my Card downclocks if it reaches 83-84°C to maintain the temp target.

I rebooted my PC and everything was normal. 83°c max temp, the GPU downclocked as it should to maintain the temp target.

Now my question is, what in the world was that ? Boost clock is controlled by driver, isn't it ? Maybe the driver went nuts. I reinstalled it using DDU and performed a clean install only to be sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sew333 View Post
    Normally my Gtx 1080 TI FE stock reference hits max 83-84°C and throttle, most of the time the gpu sits at 83-84C°C with 49% auto fan.

I tried some benchmarks like 3dmark or Heaven and my GPU reached quickly 86-87°C at 60% auto fan speed.

First i thought there is something wrong with my cooling but everything is fine, no dust.

After that i started 3DMark at 1080p and the GPU reached 86-87°C again. I decided to watch everything on the GPU with gpuz, especially the Clocks. Now the strange thing, the GPU was not downclocking. Normally my Card downclocks if it reaches 83-84°C to maintain the temp target.

I rebooted my PC and everything was normal. 83°c max temp, the GPU downclocked as it should to maintain the temp target.

Now my question is, what in the world was that ? Boost clock is controlled by driver, isn't it ? Maybe the driver went nuts. I reinstalled it using DDU and performed a clean install only to be sure.
    Were you getting throttled at lower temps with old driver or new? Could be that the driver throttling at lower temps was bugged or newer driver increased throttle temp tolerance.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    yeah but why sometimes i have max temps like temp target 83-84C and clocks throttling which is normal. And why sometimes it forgetting to thermal throttle and temps are above temp target 87-88C ? I tried on 378.69 and 382 drivers, the same.

My Gtx 1080 Ti Fe doing weird things. Sometimes temps going above stock temp target to 87-88C with auto fan 60% and gpuz not showing thermal throttle and clocks are high. Any ideas why this is happening? I dont tweak card,all is stock. No installed oc utilities. Card is doing this itself.
    Last edited by mmoc59d9a651d0; 2017-07-13 at 03:17 PM.