Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    As long as your tanks can whisper literally anything to each other and are able to count to three, there's absolutely no reason to get a third tank. Realistically, how often do you even have to get into the cage as tank (resulting in swaps), like 3-4 times in heroic? That doesn't require much coordination at all.

Quote Originally Posted by roi View Post
    As long as your tanks can whisper literally anything to each other and are able to count to three, there's absolutely no reason to get a third tank. Realistically, how often do you even have to get into the cage as tank (resulting in swaps), like 3-4 times in heroic? That doesn't require much coordination at all.
    Its just so much easier for the rest of the group with 3 tanks because then they can go down whenever they like and they know there will be a tank in cage 100% of time. It will give all the dps a higher uptime on the boss especially because there will be orbs ready to go. So in most groups its gonna be a bigger overall dps gain to have 3 tanks.

To be fair, I've only tanked it with the same person and always in voice chat so far, but that's exactly what we did as well, one tank stayed down until the other approached higher torment stacks and switched during bonesaw (no tank really needed upstairs for quite some time, boss moves very slowly during that cast), pretty much risk free transition. Maybe 0.5 seconds for the switched tank to taunt the boss and the add in the cage, respectively.

If it was a complete stranger tank and for some reason whispers are removed from wow over night, then yeah, I might not trust them to do the switch properly, although even then it probably barely matters, on heroic it's a rather easy tuned boss (well, early one as well, so no surprise).

Host or even Mistress were definitely much more challenging in pugs for me so far, inquisition is quick and easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 3allz View Post
    Can people please fuck off with their 3 tanks? If a raid member is spending more than 10/15 seconds in the torment room and dying in that time, with your own defensive cooldowns, then they need to learn to play and not "3 tanks needed".

Honest to god, do these people think they'll still need 3 tanks in 6 weeks time with ToS normal is on farm for pugs? I highly doubt it, so where goes their argument then?

/rant over
    Nice. The casual pleb is back, with his rant because he can't even pull his own weight, on normal mode haha.
    No seriously, STFU.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshots View Post
    Its a really common strat for Mythic... Maybe on heroic but normal is TopKek so not sure why anyone would do it on normal where the add can't even kill a clothie....

But on Mythic it is pretty much the go to strat when the boss will melee non tanks for 3 mil.
    Not really the go-to strat, it's a bad strat, because it means adds will come out scattered, and the fight takes longer.

You 2 tank it, and each fel squall, 1 tank and the 5-7 highest torment players go down, then when they're all cleared, they leave together, all the fragments spawn on eachother and you aoe them down in seconds.

3 tanking is just for guilds who can't manage that tiny bit of co-ordination.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It makes it easier, there is a negligible dps check, most groups can field a third tank. Why do you care?
    /thread - there is nothing more to say

The only response to "why not 3 tanks/why do you care": I've had 2/3 berserk/enrage wipes now due to lack of DPS. When its taking 10 min to kill the 2nd boss you need rid of all the possible dead weight. The HP added to boss from 1 person joining, when in a small group, is quite significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pzyho View Post
    Nice. The casual pleb is back, with his rant because he can't even pull his own weight, on normal mode haha.
    No seriously, STFU.
    Please, enlighten me, how have you determined that I cant pull my own weight because I'm complaining about 3 tanks on a 2 tank fight? Without making a shit load of assumptions? Seriously if you have nothing constructive to add then kindly shut the fuck up idiot.

And FYI, I've been pugging this on my 910 rogue, my 905 disc priest, 905 resto druid and 900 DK tank. I've been top healing and damage every time. And yes, I've had 2/3 berserk/enrages on this fight on those chars.
    Last edited by 3allz; 2017-07-04 at 09:22 PM.

The only response to "why not 3 tanks/why do you care": I've had 2/3 berserk/enrage wipes now due to lack of DPS. When its taking 10 min to kill the 2nd boss you need rid of all the possible dead weight. The HP added to boss from 1 person joining, when in a small group, is quite significant.
    If your group is hitting the enrage timer on this fight then that's almost certainly the fault of DPS not pulling their weight and/or dying early to avoidable things. I agree that it's unnecessary to 3-tank this fight, but when you hit an enrage on the 2nd boss fight then you should be pointing at the underperforming DPS rather than saying "We wiped because we added a 3rd tank! Boss has more HP now!"

you need rid of all the possible dead weight
    Most of the raid is probably dead weight if you're reaching the enrage on that boss.

Also, not sure if this has been mentioned yet in this thread, but: If you don't like how random pug groups are being run then make your own groups and run them however you like.

During progress, 3tank isn't so bad because you lower the risks of wipes with a certain 100%uptime on tank in cage and Atrigan tanked. With time and experienced tanks (understand, tanks that can communicate, not only to each other but to the raid as well), 2 tanks (and even 1 with monk) is manageable.

On pugs, you don't know what your raid is capable off : adding this safe measure is fair enough. I will agree, though, that if tanks tell the raid leader they ARE capable to 2 tanks the encounter, then there's no reason not to let them do it.

TL;DR : 3tanks may be a 'bad' strat but it's still a working 'cheesy' strat. Don't like it, don't join or get over it for the span of 6 minutes. You'll go back to 2 tanks for the next bosses anyway.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

Deleted

Please, enlighten me, how have you determined that I cant pull my own weight because I'm complaining about 3 tanks on a 2 tank fight? Without making a shit load of assumptions? Seriously if you have nothing constructive to add then kindly shut the fuck up idiot.

And FYI, I've been pugging this on my 910 rogue, my 905 disc priest, 905 resto druid and 900 DK tank. I've been top healing and damage every time. And yes, I've had 2/3 berserk/enrages on this fight on those chars.
    Link me your logs on your shitty rogue then, you dumb casual pleb. Let's see how much you're getting carried.

There's barely enough to do as a tank with two so I have no idea why pugs would use 3 as if anything - it complicates the encounter.

The ultimate abilities line up perfectly so that you should only ever need one tank outside the cage.

Plus, everyone knows if a dps dies it's their own fault. Always.

Deleted
    There really isn't a huge need to have a tank down 100% of the time outside of mythic (not tested yet). The add doesn't melee overly hard, so if you have a healer down that can keep the people with aggro of the add up it is. People only start dying to the add when they have either 5 stacks and no healer or once they approach 10 dot stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    Not really the go-to strat, it's a bad strat, because it means adds will come out scattered, and the fight takes longer.

You 2 tank it, and each fel squall, 1 tank and the 5-7 highest torment players go down, then when they're all cleared, they leave together, all the fragments spawn on eachother and you aoe them down in seconds.

3 tanking is just for guilds who can't manage that tiny bit of co-ordination.
    Please people need to read this post and stop talking about 3 tanking being the way to go on mythic, it simply is not. I know most of the people advocating 3 tanking mythic probably haven't done the fight but please stop. If you 3 tank it on mythic you are severely hurting your chances of killing the boss and like Emerald Archer said the adds will be a giant mess if you try to 3 tank and have people go in the cage whenever they want. The best way to kill this boss is as explained going into the cage(and more importantly coming out of the cage)in groups and keeping the adds controlled with vortex/slows and mass grips. Look back on the first page of the guy that linked execution rankings for that boss on mythic you will notice almost every one of those guilds is 2 tanking.

Why wouldnt you 3 tank it when doing it with randoms? If you dont know the tanks can handle it without problem, using 3 tanks makes the fight alot easier. Since the dmg doesnt matter. Does the fight even have an enrage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Without any kind of tight DPS check on the fight, there's no reason you can't 3-tank it if you have the capability of doing so, especially in a pug. Removes any possibility of mistakes with going in and out, which is great for random groups where you aren't sure on the quality of your players.

Though I agree that if you don't have 3 tanks it's insanity to sit and wait for an hour trying to find a third tank or skipping the boss entirely, because it's not that much harder with 2 tanks than 3. But if you can do it, why not.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

This fight is substantially easier if you just avoid going in at all and send a small group in with the tank when necessary (tank swap) and they get to come out in < 10 seconds anyway. Treat needing to go in as massively fucking up a mechanic, like getting 1-shot. Just don't do it, and if you do you're basically as useful as a dead player, so if you can't wait for the tank to go down, go down and solo your way out. If you die, nothing of value was lost.

And yes, you can solo your way out on every difficulty without dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Plastkin View Post
    And yes, you can solo your way out on every difficulty without dying.
    Not really on mythic, some specs just can't. It hits too hard.

The fact of the matter is, if your dps are having to spend any great degree of time inside, long enough to stack up DoT or die from the add they are playing the encounter wrong.

I don't think utilizing a third tank is at all necessary, particularly when the crux is that it allows dps players to fail at the encounter mechanics. It doesn't take much for a dps to glance at their raid frame; check a tank is inside (the big DoT debuff should be a hint), then enter the cage. Even in a PuG situation without VoIP. Or alternatively:

If your tanks can enter / exit at ~90 torment, there is only ever one tank outside, even with no healer inside cage it's still trivial damage to survive on normal / heroic. Tank A leaves when tank B has 90 torment, taunts and tank B goes inside. Simple, reliable and works every time.

If two tanks pay attention to how much torment the other tank has (80-90 is good) and leave the cage and immediately taunt allowing the other tank to enter the cage, you achieve close to 90+% tank time in the cage.

Therefore, if DPS players can pay attention to more than their own 3 button rotation, they will never be at danger of dying to the cage mechanic.

Haven't seen any pugs in EU even try or mention 3-tanking on either nm or hc. Is it a US thing? And by seen I mean in Grp finder or in 8 pugs I've done so far

Deleted
    Can confirm happens on EU as well. People not noticing that the add melees for little is a common occurence. Most DPS freak out when they have aggro from something even if it doesn't matter.