How does "Relearn Profession" in Legion work?

Can somebody explain this to me, clearly and detailed, as I can't find any reliable and detailed source of how it works?

Right now I have Inscription 700 and Tailoring 800. I am thinking about dropping Inscription for Enchanting. What actually happens if I do so?

Is my Inscription profession level of 700 "saved" and if I somehow decide to relearn it again I will be back at 700?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Can somebody explain this to me, clearly and detailed, as I can't find any reliable and detailed source of how it works?

Right now I have Inscription 700 and Tailoring 800. I am thinking about dropping Inscription for Enchanting. What actually happens if I do so?

Is my Inscription profession level of 700 "saved" and if I somehow decide to relearn it again I will be back at 700?

As far as I know, no. The relearn system in Legion is specifically in regards to Legion recipes, which often use quests to unlock, and other methods to upgrade. If you dropped your tailoring and later returned to it, you'd have all of your Legion recipe progress, but would be at skill 1 again.

Deleted
    You will get back everything that you've learned through quests (so, the Ranks) and not through patterns. If you have rare patters from previous expansions, you will lose them.

You will lose everything you've learned for that profession. The skill level and all patterns.
    Only learned legion patterns through quests can be obtained again with the profession books sold in Dalaran (dropped legion patterns are still lost)

More or less there isn't relearn mechanism for professions, they only avoided tickets regarding unlearnable patterns, since the quests were already done.

Thank you! So no new profession for me then.

Deleted
    I was wondering the same. So no new professions for me either

Why couldn't they do it properly, saving and restoring entire profession with all patterns, why another half-done job?

Deleted
    I have used them a few times to drop herbalism to get enchanting and disenchant a lot of epics. The 1600gold gost was easily compensated by CC being 500+ gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    I was wondering the same. So no new professions for me either

Why couldn't they do it properly, saving and restoring entire profession with all patterns, why another half-done job?
    It´s a job well done actually, that system was never intended to allow you the constant switching. However in order to have professions feel a bit more involved with the actual story instead of just learning everything from a trainer, they´ve included a lot of things into quests and since those quests can only be done once, that´s why you get those recipes back through those books.
    Otherwise you´d essentially don´t require any other players, just go up to 800 on each profession with your main character and switch around as you currently need it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrotesque View Post
    It´s a job well done actually, that system was never intended to allow you the constant switching. However in order to have professions feel a bit more involved with the actual story instead of just learning everything from a trainer, they´ve included a lot of things into quests and since those quests can only be done once, that´s why you get those recipes back through those books.
    Otherwise you´d essentially don´t require any other players, just go up to 800 on each profession with your main character and switch around as you currently need it.
    If they wanted to do something for quests, quests could have been made repeatable or marked as incomplete when profession is unlearned.

Its intended to allow switching professions. Many players have old recipes they want to keep, thus entire system fails for those players. So yes, it is half done job.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    If they wanted to do something for quests, quests could have been made repeatable or marked as incomplete when profession is unlearned.

Its intended to allow switching professions. Many players have old recipes they want to keep, thus entire system fails for those players. So yes, it is half done job.
    Because freely switching professions while retaining all recipes and skill for a mere 1k gold is balanced..
    The system does what its supposed to do; bypass the quest problem that would arise after re-taking a profession.
    Thats enough; if you want to keep your skill and/or super rare recipes don't drop the profession, that's what made those recipes rare anyway: people having it and then dropping the profession.

Deleted
    Isn't it more fun and more in the mindset of an MMO to need each other anyway. Instead of dropping a profession when you might need another one, you actually have to go and find another player. Okay granted not all professions are that useful anymore but I still like the feeling of players needing one another

Quote Originally Posted by Zeepsneeft View Post
    I have used them a few times to drop herbalism to get enchanting and disenchant a lot of epics. The 1600gold gost was easily compensated by CC being 500+ gold.
    This is something I am curious about - on my DH I am Herbalism / Mining at ~ 600 right now. I've been stacking green, blue and purple items (over 100 soulbound pieces) because I thought about dropping either Herbalism or Mining, learning Enchanting, disenchant that stuff and relearn Herbalism or Mining again. I mean I don't loose anything substantial, do I? And can I disenchant Legion epics with Enchanting level 1?

10+ Year Old Account
    When I unlearned Alchemy after obtaining the Rank 3 recipe for Prolonged Power (World Boss) and re-learned it after I lost all my ranks.
    So much fun.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Quote Originally Posted by butterknives View Post
    You will get back everything that you've learned through quests (so, the Ranks) and not through patterns. If you have rare patters from previous expansions, you will lose them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthx View Post
    Why the need to copy and paste someone else's post?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    This is something I am curious about - on my DH I am Herbalism / Mining at ~ 600 right now. I've been stacking green, blue and purple items (over 100 soulbound pieces) because I thought about dropping either Herbalism or Mining, learning Enchanting, disenchant that stuff and relearn Herbalism or Mining again. I mean I don't loose anything substantial, do I? And can I disenchant Legion epics with Enchanting level 1?
    What you gain
    - Bunch of Chaos Crystals (each epic gives 1, even at skill 1)

Cost:
    - 800 gold for a relearn tome. In my case with herbalism it was bugged and had to buy another one to get SLR 3 again, so 1600 in that case.
    - Herb or mine skill is back to 1. This doesnt matter for legion herb but you will get less yield in old expansions. This might matter if you sometimes farm Vial of the Sands herbs or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mber341 View Post
    I think he's one of those accounts; he tried to advertise a yoga book in another thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mber341 View Post
    It's a bot account that copies other people's posts to get their post count up. Best to report them.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeepsneeft View Post
    What you gain
    - Bunch of Chaos Crystals (each epic gives 1, even at skill 1)

Cost:
    - 800 gold for a relearn tome. In my case with herbalism it was bugged and had to buy another one to get SLR 3 again, so 1600 in that case.
    - Herb or mine skill is back to 1. This doesnt matter for legion herb but you will get less yield in old expansions. This might matter if you sometimes farm Vial of the Sands herbs or something.
    Well, that doesn't sound that bed. Pretty sure I'm having 30-40 epics on my bank account which would make 10 times the costs. The important thing for me is to be able to still gather Legion ressources but that's even possible with skill 1 so no problem.

That relearn tome gives me my rank 2 / rank 3 of different Herbs so that I still can gather Starlightrose without failures? Or what exactly does the relearn totem do?

Deleted
    It SHOULD give you back all rank2 and 3s. But like I said it was bugged for me and I had to do it again to get SLR rank 3.