GOP asks AG to intervene in Sanders religious test on Trump nominee

By Bradford Richardson - The Washington Times - Thursday, July 6, 2017
    Sixty-four Republican lawmakers sent a letter Friday asking Attorney General Jeff Sessions to reaffirm the constitutional prohibition against religious tests for public office.
    Led by Rep. Mark Walker of North Carolina and Sen. James Lankford of Oklahoma, the memo is a response to questions raised by Sen. Bernie Sanders, Vermont Independent, at a hearing last month to confirm one of President Trump’s nominees to the Office of Management and Budget.
    “While there is continuous debate about the scope and meaning of the religion clauses in the First Amendment,” the letter reads, “the text of Article VI has been clear: no religious test shall ever (emphasis added) be required as a qualification to any public office or public trust under the United States.”
    “Yet, questions were asked during a recent Senate Budget Committee hearing about an executive branch nominee’s adherence to the Christian faith,” the letter continues, “suggesting that such beliefs disqualified the nominee from service.”
    At the hearing, Mr. Sanders took issue with an article written in 2016 by Russell Vought, a devout Christian who was nominated by Mr. Trump to be deputy director of the Office of Management and Budget.
    In a blog for The Resurgent, Mr. Vought wrote that Muslims “do not simply have a deficient theology. They do not know God because they have rejected Jesus Christ, his Son, and they stand condemned.”

The article cited John 3:18, which reads: “Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.”
    Mr. Sanders raised several questions about the blog post during the hearing and cited it as his reason for ultimately voting against Mr. Vought’s appointment.
    “Do you believe—do you believe that that statement is Islamaphobic?” Mr. Sanders asked at the hearing.
    “Absolutely not, senator,” Mr. Vought responded. “I’m a Christian, and I believe in a Christian set of principles based on my faith.”
    “Do you believe that people in the Muslim religion stand condemned?” Mr. Sanders asked. “Is that your view?”
    “Senator, I’m a Christian—”
    “I understand you are a Christian,” Mr. Sanders interrupted. “But this country is made up of people who are not just—I understand that Christianity is the majority religion. But there are other people of different religions in this country and around the world. In your judgment, do you think that people who are not Christians are going to be condemned?”
    “Thank you for probing on that question,” Mr. Vought responded. “As a Christian, I believe that all individuals are made in the image of God and are worthy of dignity and respect regardless of their religious beliefs.”
    “I would simply say, Mr. Chairman, that this nominee is really not someone who is what this country is supposed to be about,” Mr. Sanders said. “I will vote no.”
    The letter to the attorney general cites Article VI, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution, which says “no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.”
    “The free exercise of religion means the ability to practice your faith without fear of punishment by the government,” the letter reads. “The government violates that right if it determines which faith or non-faith practices are valid or which aspects of a particular faith are legitimate.”
    “As such, we urge you to make clear in your forthcoming guidance that the scope and meaning of Article VI has not changed: no religious test will ever be required to serve in the government of the United States.”
    The letter is signed by members of the Congressional Prayer Caucus, of which Mr. Lankford and Mr. Walker are co-chairmen.

It looks like those who were critical of Sanders engaging in religious discrimination, in violation of the constitution, are gaining support from congress. Sanders was in violation of Article 6 of the constitution, and was therefore violating the core principle of our nations founding: religious freedom. Now the AG has been asked to intervene. Hopefully, Sanders can begin following the constitution, preventing any further steps, such as censure.

I wonder if he is engaging in these antics to distract us from him and his wives FBI investigation for bank fraud. He probably doesn't want people associating him with being a fat cat bank fraud guy, who owns several homes. SAD!

Do you guys agree, that this recent action, will get Bernie to begin following the whole constitution, and not just the parts he likes?
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2017-07-06 at 10:44 PM.

The one making it about his religion is Mr. Vought.

Sanders is questioning his views on Muslims, not his personal faith. It seems especially relevant given the quote that Sanders referenced, hiding your bigotry behind your religion is not acceptable.

This is not a religious test at all. If anything, it's a test of basic tolerance and humanity. One with Mr. Vought seems to have failed pretty spectacularly.

oh wow, Sander's who is arguably an atheist voting NO to a guy who views another religion as inferior. WHERE'S THE SPANISH INQUISITION WHEN YOU NEED THEM?

You keep on spinning the bullshit Tijuana.

It's entertaining at this point. Do you think of any of this stuff yourself or is there a site I can go to where you get your bits?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    oh wow, Sander's who is arguably an atheist voting NO to a guy who views another religion as inferior. WHERE'S THE SPANISH INQUISITION WHEN YOU NEED THEM?
    He's Jewish, he just doesn't constantly remind everyone of it.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The one making it about his religion is Mr. Vought.

Sanders is questioning his views on Muslims, not his personal faith. It seems especially relevant given the quote that Sanders referenced, hiding your bigotry behind your religion is not acceptable.

This is not a religious test at all. If anything, it's a test of basic tolerance and humanity. One with Mr. Vought seems to have failed pretty spectacularly.

That is what I see, it's not his religion that is the issue. It's his views on those that aren't christian that are the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    That is what I see, it's not his religion that is the issue. It's his views on those that aren't christian that are the issue.
    It's just another easy way to rile up their base.

They lack the critical thinking skills to see what's taking place, though I'm not sure whether it's their belief in the Big Lie or a failing of our public schools.

Sanders is an anti christian bigot. Who knew?
    Dude 1 uses racial slur towards white people. (no infraction)
    Dude 2 asks Dude 1 why he is so racist towards white people. (infraction)

I actually think the question Bernie asked is very valid, especially given what the nominee wrote.

This wasn't about him being Christian, this was about him saying some fucked up shit about OTHER PEOPLE because their religious beliefs are not the same as his own.

In summation, one can be a Christian and not be a bigoted asshat at the same time.
    Last edited by Baelic; 2017-07-06 at 11:04 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vhatever View Post
    Care to explain how he is anti christian?

Please cite what he said that makes him intolerant of Christians.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Care to explain how he is anti christian?
    That's a basic tennet of Christianity. There is no salvation but through jesus christ. it's not just muslims. It's anyone.So he is being attacked for religion he follows.

That's a basic tennet of Christianity. There is no salvation but through jesus christ. it's not just Muslims. It's anyone.So he is being attacked for religion he follows.
    good, so he can stay the fuck out of government then, glad we settled that.

Deleted
    I do agree politicians should have a religious test; if you can't do your job without being religious while doing said job, you don't get the job. Religion has no place in governance.

However, the OP makes claims that aren't true, and not at all what Sanders was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    good, so he can stay the fuck out of government then, glad we settled that.
    or we get every christian to never vote for democrat trash if they don't toss Bernie Bigot Sanders.

Oh look, more blatantly dishonest articles and click bait that misinterprets and relies on the notion that people are to stupid to read and think.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

That's a basic tennet of Christianity. There is no salvation but through jesus christ. it's not just muslims. It's anyone.So he is being attacked for religion he follows.
    That is not at all a basic tenant of Christianity, but getting to deep into that would cross the line.

Though note - it's his specific words, rather than his religion, that Sanders takes issues with. His words can be informed by his religion, but religion is not a shield for bigotry from any angle.

or we get every christian to never vote for democrat trash if they don't toss Bernie Bigot Sanders.
    oh yes, I'm SURE that will happen, someday. /snorts

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That is not at all a basic tenant of Christianity, but getting to deep into that would cross the line.

Though note - it's his specific words, rather than his religion, that Sanders takes issues with. His words can be informed by his religion, but religion is not a shield for bigotry from any angle.
    There is no salvation but through jesus christ is not a basic tennet of christianty? Can't really get more distention contend otherwise, frankly.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is already becoming a religious thread, which isnt allowed

closing