Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Last resort decision, deleting toons.

I've been playing for a bit now and I used to be able to focus and enjoy the game, but with the addition of level boosts. That enjoyment has gone down. I have bought a level boost for one of every class in the game, and it is a nightmare trying to gear up and focus on raiding without switching classes every week or so. I'm tired of it and would like some advice on if I should pull my next move.

Deleting all but one (or two) characters.

I would either keep one hybrid class, or one DPS/Tank and a healer.

I don't care about the money, I just want to enjoy the game again without this altaholic ADD getting in the way.

Just telling myself to play one character hasn't worked the last 2 times I tried to concentrate on one character.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, you admit you have a problem, but I don't see what deleting them will do.

Your temptation will come back and you'll likely either restore the deleted characters one by one, or pay for more boosts.

I am also an alt-o-holic. Not much to be said really, it's ok to be one provided you don't want to be a hardcore raider racing for world firsts - you can still manage to clear raids on normal with a more casual oriented guild. I don't recommend deleting your characters, you WILL get them back even if you have to pay for them.
    Personally, when I get the alt-o-holic spell, I like to create a new character of the class I want and level them for a while.

I'm sorry if this is too off-topic for the site. But I just want to make sure this was a good decision to make.

Quote Originally Posted by generallyunpleasent View Post
    I've been playing for a bit now and I used to be able to focus and enjoy the game, but with the addition of level boosts. That enjoyment has gone down. I have bought a level boost for one of every class in the game, and it is a nightmare trying to gear up and focus on raiding without switching classes every week or so. I'm tired of it and would like some advice on if I should pull my next move.

I don't care about the money, I just want to enjoy the game again without this altaholic ADD getting in the way.

Just telling myself to play one character hasn't worked the last 2 times I tried to concentrate on one character.
    Dude, you've spent six HUNDRED dollars just on level 100 boosts. I'm not sure any advice someone can give you can help.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Dude, you've spent six HUNDRED dollars just on level 100 boosts. I'm not sure any advice someone can give you can help.

600$ is not much depending the person

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I think it's bad advice to dump $600 bucks worth of toons. I would think it's easier to show some self-control and just put them on the shelf for now. You do what you do though.

Here's an idea though: If you've spent all that money already, spend a little more and transfer the two toons you're sure you want to keep to another realm. Then the others will be out-of-sight for a while giving you time to calm down.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Uselessrouge View Post
    600$ is not much depending the person
    What the fuck does this even mean? I don't care who you are, $600 is a lot to spend on boosts in a video game.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    When did this place become a microblogging site?
    long time ago

7+ Year Old Account

thing is we are just people on the itnernet, we cant say anything other then "get help"
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

deleting them won't do any good, you'll just keep ending back up making more. Find the class you enjoy the most and stick with it and you'll eventually be fine. I have almost every class at 110 and while it took a while, but now I'm fine with just logging on them to screw around when I feel like it

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    What the fuck does this even mean? I don't care who you are, $600 is a lot to spend on boosts in a video game.
    Relatively it is a lot of money to spend on boosting characters, but when comparing to time spent I don't think it is.

If the person has decided that they REALLY would enjoy to have those characters boosted, but they value their person time spent leveling from 1-100 higher than $600 I think it's worth it. If someone told me that they'd pay me $600 to level 10 of my own characters to 100 for $600 I'd pass, and I get to keep them. Some people value their own time more than others, which is commonly related to how much money they make at their day job (or an inverse relation to available free time if working a boatload of hours.)

The problem is, it takes an altoholic to decide that they want them this bad right now, which is the "problem" if the OP feels that it is one, which they have.

You have to simply choose to focus on one, maybe two, characters at a time. The process I would generally adhere to (having had all classes at level cap as recently as MoP) was to focus strictly on my main until initial leveling/raid progression was settled, then start working on one alt at a time, but if something came up that I needed to do on my main, that became priority.

Then there are folks like a friend of mine who also used to play and could simply never lock down on one class as a main...by the time he would get one character moderately geared and such, he was off to another one for reasons. He could never understand why I stuck to my main class for so long (which in hindsight, I wonder why I didn't swap from shaman to mage sooner...but that's another can of worms).

I apply a similar philosophy to FF14; main job takes priority (Black Mage), then I bring up other combat jobs one at a time (currently working up White Mage so I have a healer, then I'll bring up Dark Knight for tanking). After that, it's whatever I feel like playing.

Alternatively, just start a new account and only make one character. Same result without the drawback of losing all your work if your situation changes later.

However, the problem isn't necessarily with you. It's part of Blizzard's business plan to regularly change the effectiveness of the various classes and abilities. Partly to keep the game interesting, but also to fish for players EXACTLY like you who are willing to hop between characters repeatedly in order to keep pace with all the changes.

My suggestion? Stop playing WoW altogether. Play something else to get some perspective and distance so you can make a rational decision. Try something that isn't a time-sink MMO. I recommend something HEAVILY story based, like Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Or maybe something more action-oriented like Ori and the Blind Forest.

But whatever you do, you're not going to break your bad habits with WoW until you stop playing wow for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebulatica View Post
    Relatively it is a lot of money to spend on boosting characters, but when comparing to time spent I don't think it is.

If the person has decided that they REALLY would enjoy to have those characters boosted, but they value their person time spent leveling from 1-100 higher than $600 I think it's worth it. If someone told me that they'd pay me $600 to level 10 of my own characters to 100 for $600 I'd pass, and I get to keep them. Some people value their own time more than others, which is commonly related to how much money they make at their day job (or an inverse relation to available free time if working a boatload of hours.)

The problem is, it takes an altoholic to decide that they want them this bad right now, which is the "problem" if the OP feels that it is one, which they have.
    I'm not saying that I can't understand why someone would boost a character, I'm saying I don't understand how one person can spend 600 bucks on character boosts and not be able to control themselves to the point where they're considering throwing that money in the trash.
    Beta Club Brosquad

I'd recommend the inverse: keep all of your character slots full so you can't make any more. And instead of deleting characters, just get rid of their gear and keep them on another realm -- away from your main and one alt. This way you still have one alt to hop on that's useful, but you won't feel like wasting a lot of time on the other ones because they won't have any gear.

Hey guys, I have this annoying habit of biting my fingernails so I think I'm just going to chop my fingers off so that I can't bite them anymore.
    Or... how about having some willpower? Besides, it's incredibly easy to just restore them once you get desperate enough. It's also just as easy to just create new ones. The solution is to learn some self-control.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    Um, you know that different realms have their own character slots, right? He can't have his character slots full AND keep them on different realms.

"The more you know..."
    You can only have a total of 50-54 or so characters across your account. He can fill up other realms, and keep one realm empty aside from two characters which he has transferred away from the rest or made fresh. Works for me.

You are better off just picking two to play, moving them up to the top and moving the rest down to the bottom of your character selection screen.

This way if your main ever becomes boring, you still have an alt that you can quickly gear up to replace it.

I'll buy your account for $100 and you can recoup a little and cure your disease at the same time.
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~