Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

remember when you used to be good?

i used to be a pretty good healer. i still get by, but i know im not as good as i used to be.
    age has caught up with me & im no longer the player i was.
    i used to raid a lot, now i dont feel im capable of getting to the level i once was.
    the thing i would like to know (after ive wiped the tears from my eyes), what should i do?
    should i persevere & try & recapture past glories, or should i just concentrate on doing mythic dungeons & LFR?
    not sure this is relevent, but im currently guildless atm.

this post probably wont have much of a baring on the younger generation, but anyone over 40 may have an inkling on where i am on this.
    i also know this is mmo-c & the answers, if any, could be from one side of the spectrum to the other...i await with bated breath.

It's not like you're worse player now. You just have otehr things to do, everyone grow up and finds other things to do, some still play WoW and that's fine. Just do what you love.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used to be decently good too when WoW would passionately interest me. I'd pour hours weekly into raiding because the raids were fun and challenging and unique and rewarding. Now it's just a lot of the same s**t, with a different name and paint of skin. Now, I still have yet to level one of my characters to 110. Looking back, it's honestly shocking to me that I used to play WoW for hours on end each day, and now I can't even bear the thought of redownloading it because it'd bore me to death. My passion is gone.

You should do what you think is best for you. As for me, when I felt burned out and my raiding quality, and overall interest, degrading, I opened a window, looked outside, and started doing something else.
    Last edited by Garneth; 2017-07-09 at 10:06 AM.
    I'm HOT for HOTS.

I am still good just stopped doing anything that shows it off. No need to, you just get used and then left to rot anyways, might as well just play for fun rather than play for others.

It doesn't have to be you that have gotten worse but the game. I've gone back and played previous expansions and I still perform as well as I used to, in some cases even better. It's just that the current difficulty of the game is different to what it used to be. It's awkward, it feels like twister, it feels like juggling blindfolded on a unicycle while reciting the alphabet backwards.

Deleted
    If you're one of those people who say "I was a top raider in 2005", you were never good. The game was not mechanically complex at the time and almost no skill was required.

If you just mean a couple years back, whatever, just ask yourself how important it is to you.

Just wait a little longer and you won't. Age does that to you.

I think I got actually better for the most part (dps).
    But then in the distant past my skill was defined by playing guitar hero with my castbar and using a cast cancel makro to shave of some ms of each cast.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's just one of those things that happens when you fall out of practice or don't challenge yourself to improve. I started playing this game when I was 22, and while I think I was a much more skilled gamer back then it's probably more down to the amount of time I had to invest into gaming at the time. I'm definitely not as good at WoW as I used to be, but I think that's purely down to me not playing it very much anymore. I know that with persistence I could be again due to the fact that I'm as good or better than my friends at everything else I play and I still pick things up quickly when I'm learning a new game.

Like anything in life, you can't take any kind of break from things if you want to stay at your best so using your past achievements as the bar you've set for yourself is unrealistic right now because if you want to be good you need to stick at it. If being your best is your goal just take things as they come, don't get demotivated and as long as you're always learning and making a small amount of progress you'll be back to your old level and exceeding it in no time.

It sounds like you've just been coasting for a while and not trying hard to be better so yeah, that will cause your skill to plateau, you need to be pushing yourself.

Or do what I do nowadays and not really care that much, as long as I'm good enough to make my way through all the content in a reasonable time while performing my role to a high standard I'm happy.
    Last edited by Thoughtcrime; 2017-07-09 at 10:31 AM.

I used to be able to hold my own in PvP.

There've actually been several studies showing that gamers' reaction times slow down as they get older. I believe it was done in regard to the pro scene of startcraft.

Regardless, WoW isn't exactly a game that requires fighter-pilot levels of reaction time and coordination. If you feel like you've gotten worse, just remember that the game itself has changed a LOT, and that everything improves with practice.

10+ Year Old Account
    the only reason I stopped being good was because I stopped raiding hardcore back in cataclysm, been a casual player ever since, only coming on to see guild mates, and occasionally for LFR, and catch up with current content, which would take far longer than it would do if I was playing in 2005 - 2012. I dont have the time to dedicate all my time to playing WoW 27/7 like I used to.

Now days I dont look up info on specs and rotation and my damage and play style has suffered and is not what it could be, because I don't devote my full time into WoW anymore. Real life has taken priority I'm afraid. I am not 23 years old anymore, I am 35

then again my guild of 9 years could probably tell you I have always been shit lol. but then that makes me even worse now :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-07-09 at 11:31 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No. No I don't....

I'm as good as I've ever been right now. In a few weeks I'll look back to how shit I was then, and how much I've grown and the mistakes I won't make again. It's like this for a lot of things in my life.l

Yes... it kinda sucks now. Where once I was in a world 7th guild I now struggle to find successful +15 pugs sometimes it takes a whole hour!

Ah well next expansion I should have more time to sink into the game and work my way back.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dont think that we are getting worse as we get older. I think the game is not as interesting to us as we age and demands less playing time.

When we are young and playing 15-20 hours a week, we are on-top of our game, as we age, wow isnt as important as RL.

I do agree with @Garneth. WoW isnt what it was. Im not going to get into a debate about it, but I am one of those that have lost interest mainly because of the way the game has developed.

"I am good, I was good, and I will always be good," so sayeth the Lord.
    Last edited by Rudkobing; 2017-07-09 at 01:48 PM.

Deleted
    I did notice that the last few years Ive gotten worse at playing DPS. Tactics wise Im doing fine, it's just DPS rotations and sometimes the pace I got worse at. Guess its maybe an age thing although only 38

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer eccles View Post
    i used to be a pretty good healer. i still get by, but i know im not as good as i used to be.
    age has caught up with me & im no longer the player i was.
    i used to raid a lot, now i dont feel im capable of getting to the level i once was.
    the thing i would like to know (after ive wiped the tears from my eyes), what should i do?
    should i persevere & try & recapture past glories, or should i just concentrate on doing mythic dungeons & LFR?
    not sure this is relevent, but im currently guildless atm.

this post probably wont have much of a baring on the younger generation, but anyone over 40 may have an inkling on where i am on this.
    i also know this is mmo-c & the answers, if any, could be from one side of the spectrum to the other...i await with bated breath.
    in order to be as good as in past you need to raid as much as you did back then - its not really a rocket science its all about mastering every second of encounter and timing abilities correckly .

its something what most of people who stopped raiding experience - you simpyl dont know everything and thats why you fall behind - in order to be better you would need to spend hours in there learning eveyrthing in every encounter

ask yourself if its worth the time investment for you because there is no other way to "git gud" as you were in past

Quote Originally Posted by Vankelmir View Post
    If you're one of those people who say "I was a top raider in 2005", you were never good. The game was not mechanically complex at the time and almost no skill was required.

If you just mean a couple years back, whatever, just ask yourself how important it is to you.
    Or you are just salty thinking you are better than the OG's that played before you, now off to your arena as a warrior you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.