Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    And? The hospital still needs to get paid. The longer the child is there, the more they get paid. I'm not saying that IS the reason, and this is sort of off topic, but I also wouldn't be surprised.
    The hospital would have turned off his life support months ago.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    And? The hospital still needs to get paid. The longer the child is there, the more they get paid. I'm not saying that IS the reason, and this is sort of off topic, but I also wouldn't be surprised.
    Again British hospitals don't work like this... Over here we try not to unnecessarily keep patients in longer

If it were me, and the child basically had no chance at surviving anyway, anything that even has a chance seems like an opportunity.

You know what definitely won't work? Pulling the plug.
    Except there is a quality of life issue. They are causing the child suffering for a procedure that for all intents and purposes will never work. And if even by some miracle it did work the child is basically braid dead and blind. The child is living in hell on Earth because the parents can't let him go. We can sympathize with the parents but in situations like this end the childs suffering and don't treat him like a lab rat for a procedure that won't work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Even if it means they have zero quality of life and constant suffering? No that's called bad parenting
    I dunno. I think that if there's something that can be tried (and perhaps SHOULD have been long ago, instead of just hemming and hawing and waiting), try it, see if it works, if not give up.

Really, the only awful part is that this whole thing has caused them just sit there and wait. They should have either tried the new option, or given up months ago.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

...why? They're fighting to give their child a chance. Unless I missed something.

What are those reasons? Wanting their child to survive?
    There isn't any chance. The baby is brain damaged, blind, deaf, essentially paralyzed and cannot breath on his own. They call it "terminal" for a reason.

Even if this miraculous treatment could prevent his death, the damage is irreversible. He would never be anything more than a baby-shaped piece of hollow flesh on the end of a machine.

Deleted
    I dunno. I think that if there's something that can be tried (and perhaps SHOULD have been long ago, instead of just hemming and hawing and waiting), try it, see if it works, if not give up.

Really, the only awful part is that this whole thing has caused them just sit there and wait. They should have either tried the new option, or given up months ago.
    I may be mistaken but even if it succeeds he's still terminal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Except there is a quality of life issue. They are causing the child suffering for a procedure that for all intents and purposes will never work. And if even by some miracle it did work the child is basically braid dead and blind. The child is living in hell on Earth because the parents can't let him go. We can sympathize with the parents but in situations like this end the childs suffering and don't treat him like a lab rat for a procedure that won't work.
    Except, they don't -know- that. They can speculate, and guess, but without the treatment they won't know thats the case.

Now, if the treatment works, but he's still suffering, thats different. But all of these are speculations, and they're letting him sit over discussions of speculations. It's kind of a case of shit or get off the pot.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    And if he is, that's a different situation, and I'd totally understand from there to end things. But that's speculation since the treatment is experimental. They don't know the result. But there's an easy way to find out to get to a resolution for everyone.

Deleted
    Except, they don't -know- that. They can speculate, and guess, but without the treatment they won't know thats the case.

Now, if the treatment works, but he's still suffering, thats different. But all of these are speculations, and they're letting him sit over discussions of speculations. It's kind of a case of shit or get off the pot.
    No they're facts. Even if the treatment worked Charlie is still braindead, blind, deaf and paralyzed

- - - Updated - - -

And if he is, that's a different situation, and I'd totally understand from there to end things. But that's speculation since the treatment is experimental. They don't know the result. But there's an easy way to find out to get to a resolution for everyone.
    It isn't speculation though

Just imagine if republicants showed even a fraction of this much care towards the poor in the US.

Again no the doctor willing to perform the procedure himself said he has no reason to believe it will work. So again you want to experiment on a suffering child with no chance of recovery because you believe there is a small chance when every doctor has said there isn't.

Because the professionals have already said his quality of life can not be reversed and this experimental treatment won't fix that. The child is and will continue suffering unnecessarily. The selfishness is putting your own emotions over the well-beign
    Right so you are officially advocating for the death of anyone suffering unnecessarily? So anyone who doctors say has 2 months left to live and do on to live for 5-10 years should have just been put down correct? All those in a coma should have the machines turned off right? How about if the parents or willing to attempt to save their childs life you let them. Greater miracles have happened on this planet. And you and everyone else trying to stop them need to mind their own business. Free healthcare my ass.

Even the Doctor that wants to try the experimentation has admitted it is not a cure. It can possibly slow down Charlie's death...but it will not save him. The Parents are basically pulling this 10% number out of their asses.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    No, this isn't speculation.

Read the doctors and hospitals statements or the human rights councils decision.
    I did. And they all say 'its likely'. They aren't actually sure. and given that the hospital has changed it's mind about the treatment (They still wont transfer him, but will try it if it's shipped), that to me says that maybe they should have done that months ago.

Or, hey, they might just be caving to media attention. That's entirely possible too

10+ Year Old Account
    If it were me, and the child basically had no chance at surviving anyway, anything that even has a chance seems like an opportunity.

You know what definitely won't work? Pulling the plug.
    Pulling the plug does he best for the child. Nothing else matters.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Think we have a thread on this already,
    I feel for the parents but you have to ask yourself what would you want if you were suffering this horrible disease

10+ Year Old Account
    So why not try the treatment anyway? If he's brain dead and going to die why are the doctors trying to pull the plug now? If nothing else this will provide new data for the "experimental drug."

10+ Year Old Account
    So your logic is "miracles happen, fuck the babies pain and suffering and quality of life and the fact that he will be a vegetable anyways"

Nice.
    If he's a vegetable, what pain and suffering?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Right so you are officially advocating for the death of anyone suffering unnecessarily? So anyone who doctors say has 2 months left to live and do on to live for 5-10 years should have just been put down correct? All those in a coma should have the machines turned off right? How about if the parents or willing to attempt to save their childs life you let them. Greater miracles have happened on this planet. And you and everyone else trying to stop them need to mind their own business. Free healthcare my ass.
    Yes I am because miracles are just that miracles

10+ Year Old Account
    I just... can't.

/facepalm
    I don't think you know what a vegetated state means. It means there is no brain activity. When there is no brain activity there is no pain.