Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Anyone else cold turkeyed out of gaming?

Been so burnt out on games in general. Nothing appeals to me anymore and the big companies just squeeze customers for every penny they can get.

In a way though im happy it is the case as I have sold my gaming pc and have started focusing on my fitness.

I am also writing an ebook about my depression in the hopes people will find some useful insight.

I am working out every day and have turned it in to fun, rather than a chore opting for things like badminton, swimming and buddying up with my pal for friendly competition and banter.

I have never felt more productive and dont miss the toxic influence of gaming communities.

Has anyone else cold turkeyed and just got rid of their gaming stuff?

I take breaks from gaming, up to a year once. I do it for most of the reasons you mention and it gave me more time to do the stuff I want.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    if you still keep up/read gaming news and websites you didn't cold turkey all the way, especially if it's the community aspect that had a bad influence on you.

but yeah once i had to cold turkey for a few years due to IRL circumstances, at first i hated it since it wasn't really by choice but after a few months your habits adapt and it's fine. I did start gaming again when I had more time again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    if you still keep up/read gaming news and websites you didn't cold turkey all the way, especially if it's the community aspect that had a bad influence on you.

but yeah once i had to cold turkey for a few years due to IRL circumstances, at first i hated it since it wasn't really by choice but after a few months your habits adapt and it's fine. I did start gaming again when I had more time again.
    I mainly miss the offtopic communities for thought provoking discussions but hey maybe you have a point hah.

Do you regret going back to games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sort of, play CSS every now and again but that's it really. No games appeal to me anymore no matter how good they seemingly look. Wouldn't say I quit games, just got bored or sort of outgrown them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Mikey View Post
    Been so burnt out on games in general. Nothing appeals to me anymore and the big companies just squeeze customers for every penny they can get.

In a way though im happy it is the case as I have sold my gaming pc and have started focusing on my fitness.

I am also writing an ebook about my depression in the hopes people will find some useful insight.

I am working out every day and have turned it in to fun, rather than a chore opting for things like badminton, swimming and buddying up with my pal for friendly competition and banter.

I have never felt more productive and dont miss the toxic influence of gaming communities.

I was feeling that way for a little while. But two games recently really got me going again.

Neir Automata - Absolutely amazing! Everything about this game was really well done.

Mordheim: City of the Damned - As a fan of the table top version, this game is very satisfying.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    I mainly miss the offtopic communities for thought provoking discussions but hey maybe you have a point hah.

Do you regret going back to games?
    Not really. Any regrets or doubts I have are more about the amount of time i play or whether raiding on a schedule is really worth it these days, not whether i play games at all or not. I have the occasional "what if" thought but i have that about other subjects too just like everybody.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, I moved to Console after many years got a PS4 hahaha, I own one game since GTA5 and I have some downloads but between Nickel and Diming I kind of got burnt out on that too, Not interested in PC gaming anymore either, too much of the same constant upgrading of software and hardware etc.

I'll stick with PS4 because at least I can do media stuff on it like Netflix, but yeah I think I am done except for Star Trek Online which is a lot based on in game purchases but I only play it once in a while.

I do hate the lack of Sim Games on Console though
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I guess, I have noticed I game a lot less than I did at the turn of the decade. Started declining in about 2012 after guzzling gallons of hype for GW2 and being sorely let down, and accelerated in 2014 with WoD, real life issues, and the schism which shall not be named.

I take extended breaks all the time.

Wow is boring, only brawls are keeping me interested. Rift got me to play over winter vacation for a couple days. I want to play SWTOR, but i feel too behind there to bother. Nothing new looks good. Consoles interest me for a couple hours.

I still enjoy this new 5'4" blonde with nice tits though.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

kinda did post deployment back in 2007 but came back during the winter months as not much else to do, now they are the only thing keeping me sane / social
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Nothing wrong with gaming, so no.

Moderation is the key.

I'm just a lot pickier about what I play. I don't buy near as much as I used to. The next game I play probably won't be until October.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Not interested in PC gaming anymore either, too much of the same constant upgrading of software and hardware etc.(
    What? PC gaming is what you make it. You don't *have* to update the hardware every few years. Been running same specs for over 3 years now, still handles new releases just fine. The only time you simply *must* update your specs regularly is if you're playing at max settings. And max settings are in the realm of serious diminishing returns anyway, like 10% better graphics at the cost of 50% FPS.

Quit WoW last Nov when I realized Legion was crap. Never went back. And at this point in time It's not a consideration

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I could.

Permanently.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I just came back to gaming after building up and subsequently losing my entire livelihood, in quite the literal sense. To cope with the tremendous hardships and life-altering transitions that I've been dealing with, playing games again (WoW in particular) has been a very good outlet for everything that I've been feeling.

I used to spend a part of my summer vacation at my parent's beach house when I was growing up, I hated it as I had to spend two - four weeks with no access to any eletronic devices. Although this was not for such a long time it was still totally cold turkey. My parents always thought it would be something healthy for me, but to be honest, the main reason I still hate to travel to the beach during the summer are the memories I have from those times.

Voluntarily I have only from Online Gaming, I feel those games are the ones that absolutely kill any productiveness I have (although I love playing the competitive ones). It is very rare for me to think: "Ok, I will play this for 1 - 2 hours" and keep this schedule on online games, but it is quite easy on offline games.