Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Developers of Ark Survivor Evolve do something scummy......Again.

TLDW: Before the games Official Launch they have doubled the price to $60USD/$70EU on Steam. This puts the price in line with the PS4 released price and I do believe XB1 (not sure).

There reason is to keep pricing parity. Not only was it a massive ripoff selling the game on console double the PC price, Its even more so a Ripoff to increase the price on PC. The game still has performance issues (massive ones on ps4) on all the platforms.

While in early access they have even sold a $20 DLC and held DLC to ransom by telling people if they didn't vote for Ark in steams little reward system it wouldn't be released.

The game hit Early Access in 2015 and cost $30 on steam. later they released it on PS4/XB1 for $50 (no Expansion DLC) or $60 and you get the expansion DLC. Now its "Releasing" next month on steam for $60.

How do you guy's feel about a dev/publisher increasing a games price 2 year's after its release. Even more so one that is in such a poor state (PC is much better then console but still has problems).
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So you don't understand early access.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

How do i feel?

People are dumb fucks, they deserve to be ripped off, these company did just that, wanna do something about it? Collect info, go sue them.

Of course you wont, who would bother.

My point is..The gaming industry is all about scamming the masses since around ~2009 were gaming became "cool" and "mainstream".

And there is nothing you can do about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheaper EA prices were common knowledge as that was one of the original selling points for the concept of EA.

They did nothing wrong in that regard.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I understand early access just fine, I also understand how dev's abuse the living shit out of it. The game released in 2015, hiding behind a EA label doesn't change that.

It also doesn't excuse them increasing the games price 2 year's after its release.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Oh please. There is Early Access then being scummy as hell with the game during it. Ark released DLC during it, Held DLC at ransom basically and are now upping the price of a game 2 years later that still has plenty of issues.

Early Access is fine. What the ARK devs did isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Cheaper EA prices were common knowledge as that was one of the original selling points for the concept of EA.

They did nothing wrong in that regard.
    But 2 years? They released DLC in that time and charged for it during EA.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Oh please. There is Early Access then being scummy as hell with the game during it. Ark released DLC during it, Held DLC at ransom basically and are now upping the price of a game 2 years later that still has plenty of issues.

Yep, You start releasing DLC in EA you lose the "Its EA Guys" protection bullshit.

Look at Playerunknown Battlegrounds that's (So far) EA done right.

10+ Year Old Account

This is about pricing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I understand early access just fine, I also understand how dev's abuse the living shit out of it. The game released in 2015, hiding behind a EA label doesn't change that.

It also doesn't excuse them increasing the games price 2 year's after its release.
    See? you don't understand early access

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, You start releasing DLC in EA you lose the "Its EA Guys" protection bullshit.

Every EA game that sees a final release is EA done right.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

This is about pricing.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah and after 2 years of them doing nothing at all to improve the game performance/bug wise along with release DLC in that time they have the gall to increase the price?

It's cash grabbing. Nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah and after 2 years of them doing jack to improve the game performance wise along with release DLC in that time they have the gall to increase the price?
    Final game costs more than EA game. So hard a concept.

I don't agree with any form of EA personally. Just the way I am. I'd rather go into a store and buy the full game. Not some unfinished product.

Um...price hikes for EA titles when they launch is pretty standard, yo. Want to get in when it's cheap? Buy it in EA. Want to get it when it's more expensive, but "finished"? Buy it at launch. It's a bit early, but meh. If you were going to buy it, you've had a few years by now, including multiple solid sales.

I've got plenty of issues with EA and how games like ARK have exploited the system, but price hikes at launch aren't anywhere in that equation. It's kinda a silly complaint given the whole premise of EA and shit. It may be more of a hike than usual, but they did actually expand the game quite considerably compared to their initial launch.

I feel like I've come across this YT channel a dozen or so times over the past year, and every time I've regretted spending any amount of time to listening to the drivel they spout. Getting 2 minutes in and I see nothing has changed with this.

Final game costs more than EA game. So hard a concept.
    And final game still hasn't been fixed over the 2 years and has had DLC released in that time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree with any form of EA personally. Just the way I am. I'd rather go into a store and buy the full game. Not some unfinished product.
    You can disagree with the EA concept all you want, but you don't get a free pass on criticizing EA for being EA.

- - - Updated - - -

And final game still hasn't been fixed over the 2 years and has had DLC released in that time.
    So fucking what? Don't buy it.

This is about pricing.
    No this is about the developers of Ark doing something scummy again. How about reading the OP so u know what the topic is about.

Is this all you got? Just telling me that I am wrong without proof of it. I know what EA is and I can read the big ass box that says "Early Access" just fine. You clearly can't understand how they abused the EA label and once again being Anti-Consumer.

Really, This is your argument.......Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Um...price hikes for EA titles when they launch is pretty standard, yo. Want to get in when it's cheap? Buy it in EA. Want to get it when it's more expensive, but "finished"? Buy it at launch.

I've got plenty of issues with EA and how games like ARK have exploited the system, but price hikes at launch aren't anywhere in that equation. It's kinda a silly complaint given the whole premise of EA and shit. It may be more of a hike than usual, but they did actually expand the game quite considerably compared to their initial launch.

I feel like I've come across this YT channel a dozen or so times over the past year, and every time I've regretted spending any amount of time to listening to the drivel they spout. Getting 2 minutes in and I see nothing has changed with this.
    The price hike would be fine imo if that had fixed the issues within the game. I mean it's good they are including Survival of the Fittest and all but can you honestly the way this game has been handled that it doesn't reek a bit?

Over 2 years they have made some really questionable decisions and to be honest it's made me question these kinds of open world games recently.

- - - Updated - - -

You can disagree with the EA concept all you want, but you don't get a free pass on criticizing EA for being EA.

- - - Updated - - -

So fucking what? Don't buy it.
    I'll critique what I want thank you. If you don't like it then well tough I guess. Ark should be fixing it's issues before doing shit like a price hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Um...price hikes for EA titles when they launch is pretty standard, yo. Want to get in when it's cheap? Buy it in EA. Want to get it when it's more expensive, but "finished"? Buy it at launch. It's a bit early, but meh. If you were going to buy it, you've had a few years by now, including multiple solid sales.

I wouldn't have complained about the price hike if it wasn't for all the other scummy bullshit they did beforehand. Like you said a price hike after a EA release is normal. Everything they did between now and then isn't. They even released the game on console and double the price already.

- - - Updated - - -

I can understand that, to this day I have only bought one EA game (PUBG).

Deleted
    Well, it was up for like, uhh...10€ or something, on Steam in the Summer Sale. Didn't pick it up, because dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, it was up for like, uhh...10€ or something, on Steam in the Summer Sale. Didn't pick it up, because dinosaurs.
    To be fair I love dinosaurs. I don't love a buggy, poorly optimised mess that hasn't been addressed for the 2 years it's been in EA.

The price hike would be fine imo if that had fixed the issues within the game. I mean it's good they are introducing Survival of the Fittest and all but can you honestly the way this game has been handled that it doesn't reek a bit?
    It's not like the hike impacts players who have had to deal with these issues, they already got it cheaper. It's a bummer, but welcome to Early Access!

For everyone else...don't buy it? I mean, we know very well what the game is like now, and if those issues from EA lingering to launch are still a problem for you, especially when they're asking twice the original price, don't buy it. You've got an army of existing players who have years of experience dealing with the devs to warn you.

I'm not defending the game, as I said I've got plenty of issues with EA and how games like ARK have exploited it. I've disliked a lot that the devs have done throughout this process, and it's one reason why I never bought it (another being that I generally loath the current survival sandbox nonsense).