Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    The Mythic Dungeon Invitational Is Coming!



    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    World of Warcraft esports is expanding into the fast-paced, highly competitive world of Mythic Keystone dungeons with the Mythic Dungeon Invitational. We’re looking for the best of the best from around the world to battle it out for a share of $100,000.

    Great Expectations, Great Rewards
    We’re looking for the best players in the world, but first you need to show us you have the right stuff to compete. Teams aspiring to battle on the global stage must first push themselves through a gauntlet of Mythic Keystone dungeons, taking on increasingly difficult Mythic Keystones and earning the best scores on the Proving Grounds.

    Top scoring contenders will be invited to join as one of 32 outstanding teams from around the world, competing for a share of the $100,000 prize pool—and ultimately claiming bragging rights of the #1 spot. Once chosen, 8 teams from the Americas, 8 from Europe, 8 from China, and 8 from Asia-Pacific will be tapped to face the challenge, proving they have what it takes to go all the way to the finals.


    The Proving Grounds [July 25–August 8]
    From July 25 to August 8 , teams aiming to secure an invitation to the top 32 will be challenged to push their way through Mythic Keystone dungeons to achieve their best scores. At the end of the two weeks, they’ll need to submit their top score using this form. Note that any entries received prior to the end of the Proving Grounds period (August 8) will not be considered.

    Remember, to be truly competitive among the World of Warcraft elite, your team must master multiple dungeons. We’ll be judging performance across the 5 dungeons in which the team achieves the highest Keystone Level during those two weeks.

    • The Proving Grounds run from July 25–August 8
    • Players will need to run a string of Mythic Keystone dungeons, increasing their Keystones Levels as high as they can. Performance will be evaluated across the five dungeons in which the team achieves the highest Keystone Level during those two weeks.
    • No sign-ups required: all players are welcome to form up a five-player group and compete during the Proving Grounds period.
    • At the end of the two-week Proving Grounds period, players will need to submit their top score [see blog for link]
    • Based on scores from the Proving Grounds period, 32 teams will be invited to the playoffs: eight each from the Americas, Europe, China, and Asia-Pacific.


    The Big Showdown
    Beginning in September, the invited contenders will compete in the Mythic Keystone Dungeon Invitational for their share of the prize pool. Each region’s contenders will be a part of a single-day broadcast in which they will face a series of elimination rounds until just 2 are left standing to represent their region on the global stage.

    • The Regional Playoffs will take place over two weekends, with each region having its own single-day broadcast streamed on the Warcraft Twitch channel:
      • September 16: China
      • September 17: Asia-Pacific
      • September 23: Europe
      • September 24: Americas
    • In the head-to-head competition, teams will execute a dungeon speed run; the first to finish will be declared the winner. All Keystones and affixes will be determined by Blizzard at the start of the match.
    • The top eight teams from the regions will face off in a single-elimination bracket, facing each opposing team in a best of three series, until just two are left standing to represent their region on the global stage.
    • Global Bracket: The top eight teams from the Regional Playoffs will advance to the final weekend of competition taking place on September 30 and October 1.
    • Teams will continue to compete in a head-to-head single elimination bracket, only this time the battles will be cross-region.
    • The top eight teams will earn their share of the $100,000 (USD) prize pool, broken down as follows:
      • 1st – $50,000
      • 2nd – $20,000
      • 3rd & 4th – $10,000
      • 5th – 8th – $2,500


    Rules of Engagement
    • Keystone levels and affixes will be determined by Blizzard
    • The first match of each series will take place in a dungeon pre-determined by Blizzard.
    • Once the final 8 regional teams have been determined, they’ll move on to a single-elimination bracket where they’ll go head-to-head.


    Where to Watch
    If you’re an esports fan, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. You can catch the action on the Warcraft Twitch channel. Keep an eye on here or on the official World of Warcraft Esports site for more details!

    The race for glory starts here. Are you and your crew skilled enough to take on the rest of the world?

    Armory Stats - Mythic+ Dungeons
    Today we are looking at the percentage of players that have completed at least one Mythic+ dungeon within the time limit. The data used includes a total of 1.8 million US and EU accounts that were active in the last month.

    Don't see a chart? Enable javascript!


    Don't see a chart? Enable javascript!

    Last edited by chaud; 2017-07-11 at 10:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Immortal Paula Deen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    #TeamDragons
    Posts
    7,659
    "Rather than fix our dying PvP scene lets ignore it and go with the thing that isn't broken!"

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    "Rather than fix our dying PvP scene lets ignore it and go with the thing that isn't broken!"
    Nah mythic dungeons are broken. Just ran lower kara this week. WAYYY too many mobs.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    "Rather than fix our dying PvP scene lets ignore it and go with the thing that isn't broken!"
    "rather than waste time on the worst players in the game, we have devoted it to improving the GAME PEOPLE PLAY" is what you mean

  5. #5
    Immortal Paula Deen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    #TeamDragons
    Posts
    7,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
    "rather than waste time on the worst players in the game, we have devoted it to improving the GAME PEOPLE PLAY" is what you mean
    How is hosting a competitive tournament with predictable teams for PvE going to improve the game? Whut.

  6. #6
    At least they're moving to the pve scene more. That's really good. Look forward to watching this

    Maybe this means they'll eventually figure out a way to make the world first race more interesting and worthwhile.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    "Rather than fix our dying PvP scene lets ignore it and go with the thing that isn't broken!"
    Hmm... I thought this was about keystones? Fairly certain that whole system is kinda broken as well.

    Anyway, pointless competitive crap that will turn up some rather predictable results of fotm classes/combinations.

  8. #8
    Merely a Setback det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    28,037
    Three replies and it is already all bitter and I get my popcorn....

  9. #9
    So how will they balance this?

  10. #10
    Merely a Setback det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    28,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Hmm... I thought this was about keystones? Fairly certain that whole system is kinda broken as well.
    "Fairly certain" as in "do you have any statistics and opinions"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peskre View Post
    So how will they balance this?
    How do they need to? Here is a dungeon. Here are the Affixes...Go for it...try your best....whatever gear and party combination you can come up with?

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer lightspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    BKK, Thailand
    Posts
    3,263
    I bet this event will get more views than Arena tournament
    ls: Prospector: WoWInterface | Curse | GitHub
    ls: Toasts: WoWInterface | Curse | GitHub
    ls: UI: WoWInterface | Curse | GitHub
    ls: Wishlist: WoWInterface | Curse | GitHub

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    How is hosting a competitive tournament with predictable teams for PvE going to improve the game? Whut.
    It's not predictable teams at all. Go ahead and try, you'll probably get a few right. Maybe 2 or 3. There's 32 competing teams.

    It improves the game by expanding the competitive scene.

    WoW pvp is fairly hard to follow if you don't know anything about the game and the new casters aren't extremely good. Azael or whatever his name was from wrath/cata and even MoP was amazing. He spoke fast and kept people on the edge of their seat even if they had no idea what was going on.

    Regardless of that though, moving the competitive scene to pve will improve plenty of things. Cash flow, amount of players, etc. There's been a lot of people and guilds that dedicate themselves solely to mythic+ (plenty on my server). We'll absolutely be seeing a lot of players we don't know from the competitive pve scene take part.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    How do they need to? Here is a dungeon. Here are the Affixes...Go for it...try your best....whatever gear and party combination you can come up with?
    Sounds boring to watch.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    "Fairly certain" as in "do you have any statistics and opinions"?
    Class, spec, legendary and tier sets massively influence mythic+. Not to mention which garbage bonus is currently active. Forming a competitive event around that is like inviting a 2m guy and a midget to duke it out in a broad jumping competition.

  15. #15
    Merely a Setback det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    28,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Peskre View Post
    Sounds boring to watch.
    But that sums up any WoW stream since forever?

  16. #16
    Man the esports thirst is unquenchable with the WoW team.

  17. #17
    Merely a Setback det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    28,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Class, spec, legendary and tier sets massively influence mythic+. Not to mention which garbage bonus is currently active. Forming a competitive event around that is like inviting a 2m guy and a midget to duke it out in a broad jumping competition.
    Oh..I think all that would make it interesting? And make it the opposite of a "2m guy and a midget to duke it out in a broad jumping competition"

    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Man the esports thirst is unquenchable with the WoW team.
    Could be because it is possibly one of the "next big things" and they want to explore it? Or at least take a shot at it and not just give up.? 100k is also not crazy money for any company...so why not give it a go?
    Last edited by det; 2017-07-11 at 10:26 PM.

  18. #18
    Immortal Paula Deen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    #TeamDragons
    Posts
    7,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    It's not predictable teams at all. Go ahead and try, you'll probably get a few right. Maybe 2 or 3. There's 32 competing teams.

    It improves the game by expanding the competitive scene.

    WoW pvp is fairly hard to follow if you don't know anything about the game and the new casters aren't extremely good. Azael or whatever his name was from wrath/cata and even MoP was amazing. He spoke fast and kept people on the edge of their seat even if they had no idea what was going on.

    Regardless of that though, moving the competitive scene to pve will improve plenty of things. Cash flow, amount of players, etc. There's been a lot of people and guilds that dedicate themselves solely to mythic+ (plenty on my server). We'll absolutely be seeing a lot of players we don't know from the competitive pve scene take part.
    I can tell you with 100%, while I like Mythic+ a lot, you cannot run AI vs Players in an ESport Environment. This is going to be super cringy to watch, much like all of those E3 Presentations with Commentators for gameplay. It will just be wrong. Imagine if Method had commentators on their kill videos? Shit is boring and the main focus will inevitably turn to the poor soul (hopefully Lore) who will have to commentate the mundane BS.

  19. #19
    This sounds very interesting!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    I can tell you with 100%, while I like Mythic+ a lot, you cannot run AI vs Players in an ESport Environment. This is going to be super cringy to watch, much like all of those E3 Presentations with Commentators for gameplay. It will just be wrong. Imagine if Method had commentators on their kill videos? Shit is boring and the main focus will inevitably turn to the poor soul (hopefully Lore) who will have to commentate the mundane BS.
    the way i remember it people used to enjoy those live raids they used to do on blizzcon. if this can be in a similar vein, ideally with some fun showmatches of teams vs silly insane encounters the devs throw to together, i can see this catching on.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •