Thread: i'm struggling

i'm struggling

I made the switch back to my DK after not playing it really since wrath, throughout Legion I have been maining my Spriest so knew it was going to take some getting used to as melee again. I was asked by our raid leader to reroll my DK after I went through a few M+ with him in pretty poor gear but did much better than he expected and so I started off grinding AP and using 900 crafted gear to have 53 or more traits in all my specs and enough gear to start ToS - we are 7/9 HC and I have been on all the progression runs.

I will start by saying that although I am enjoying the class and UH spec I am seriously struggling to see how I can get my parses to what I would consider a decent level, we have another UH DK in our guild on the same runs and we are both 916-917ilvl and parsing similarly but too low IMHO. I know parses don't tell the full picture but they do help you to see where the DPS increases for your ilvl are achievable so other than the usual of learn to play I am not entirely sure if I am missing something.

My best legendaries are KJBW and Soul of the Deathlord, I have been doing HC raids, M+, daily chests, LFR, nethershards + everything on broken isles to try and have chests and caches to open in the hope of dropping the shoulders or chest legendaries to see if these boost my DA build (I have only Prydaz and the crafted belt as my other options so have not dropped many at all)

I am using the 2+3,2,1,1,1,1,1 build and simming at 970k (which seems low considering lower ilvl players in my guild are simming 1M-1.1M) but in practise although my burst is good and my AoE puts me close to the top of the meters I always seem to drop right off mid-fight or lack resources.

Is the UH DK gear dependant to such a degree that I would be losing 100k for example just on sims? Will the shoulders make a big difference for example to my DA output and the same goes for the chest? Should I be looking for CoF so when one of the other legendaries drops I can lose KJBW in it's favour to try and reduce another of my burst cooldowns?

Last night we tried HC Avatar again which for a DK seems to suck anyway but the lack of mobility and heavy movement left me just a little concerned that my DPS isn't even simming high enough to cover times when I can't do damage so I am looking for pointers if possible. After 12 pulls last night both the DK's sat out the raid as we were both struggling to get around and make any kind of impact.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/charact...aenor/runecast

First of all lets see 1 boss specific

Your:/reports/Ka23yGWvh8PA4CBr#fight=9&type=damage-done&view=analytical i cant put link so put this after warcraftlogs dot com
    Me:/reports/179WFzJay2thCvw4#fight=3&type=damage-done i cant put link so put this after warcraftlogs dot com

You have 82% of uptime in Virulent Plage that 18% is too much dps lose, take some auras or something that help you to control that

Your average Dark arbiter is 10,35 m, well you dont have the shoulders, but maybe you can get 12m if you correct the next

You have 63% of uptime in unholy frenzy and i have 81,4%, thats its a less free deaths coils so a dps loss

You dont use 2º pot of prolonged

Your pet damage is very low, he only autoattack, you quit the autocast of his spells? he do 7 m and my 27m, check that

Improve that and say if you get more dps.

I'm sorry if my English is not the best

Seeyou

Allard, no need to apologise for your English. It's better than a lot of supposed English speakers

What do you mean by I quit the autocast of my pet spells? My pet only ever seems to cast if I specifically do this manually - unless I am missing a setting somewhere of course. If I am losing a potential 15-20M just from the pet that will be a nice start.

Arbiter, yes I seem to hit 10-14M but no higher which I believe is only going to increase with shoulders. For VP I am getting set up with aura's at the moment as the one I have used for a while I realised I am not actually paying attention to and there are only a few things I realistically need countdowns for too.

For UF being low, I guess this means I am using SS with no wounds up so certainly something to try and work on also. Same with the 2nd pot of PPP, I forget that far too often and particularly on the first fights of a new tier but once I have done the HC tactics a bit more will be less concerned with strategy and more able to watch my play.

thanks.

I see you have Cold Heart and on your log it's 26M in damage, how more difficult is chains of ice to weave in than the basic rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by bunglehaze View Post
    What do you mean by I quit the autocast of my pet spells? My pet only ever seems to cast if I specifically do this manually - unless I am missing a setting somewhere of course. If I am losing a potential 15-20M just from the pet that will be a nice start.
    Right-click on the abilities on the bar. It should give them a glowing/rotating border. This will put them on auto-cast.

Thanks, I will see what that does on my next raid

Unholy frenzy should really be at almost 100% up time.
    As above, check your pet abilities.
    VP up 100%.
    Less time RP capped.

Gearwrench has their pet on passive, should get them to look at that.
    They should be using apoc more frequently as well.
    Last edited by Marx; 2017-07-13 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bunglehaze View Post
    Allard, no need to apologise for your English. It's better than a lot of supposed English speakers

Arbiter, yes I seem to hit 10-14M but no higher which I believe is only going to increase with shoulders. For VP I am getting set up with aura's at the moment as the one I have used for a while I realised I am not actually paying attention to and there are only a few things I realistically need countdowns for too.

For UF being low, I guess this means I am using SS with no wounds up so certainly something to try and work on also. Same with the 2nd pot of PPP, I forget that far too often and particularly on the first fights of a new tier but once I have done the HC tactics a bit more will be less concerned with strategy and more able to watch my play.

thanks.

I see you have Cold Heart and on your log it's 26M in damage, how more difficult is chains of ice to weave in than the basic rotation?
    Cold Heart dont have too much difficulty, you need an aura to track the buff and use on cooldown when its reach the 20 stack, however try to use when Concordance of the Legionfall is up and Unholy Strength too, but dont delay it much. If you want i can give you the aura that i use for that.

On the other hand i think you can improve your opener, you dont reach the 2M dps.

In case it helps you I usually do this opening (prepotion-Outbreak- Festering Strike- Festering Strike-Apocalypse-(Chains of Ice if have chest)-Army of the Dead-Dark Arbiter-Dark Transformation- Death coils to infinity if you dont have Runic power in some momento try to build as fast as possible and continuos with Death coils. The reason i use army of the dead not in prepull is because you lose 5-6 s of the 2nd tier (15% damage) and when you use Apocalypse it retrives you 3 runes so you can instant cast Army and have 120 runic power.

If you want something else you can add me and talk via in game.

Marx, he is runecast not Gearwrench

See You

Interestingly I dropped a legendary that I thought was going to be useless as it meant dropping either Soul of the Deathlord or KJBW - it turns out in my case that Aggramars has been a DPS loss on sims but in LFR didn't work out to be a loss thanks to the mobility boost.

I also changed moved some pieces of gear around - not huge amounts but it brought my waiting time down from between 5-7% to under 3% after which using the opener and rotation to the one you gave stopped me running out of resources quite so readily. I did both wings of LFR last night and was in the top three for all fights but more than that it actually felt nice and fast paced to play - so more enjoyable. On Goroth I think I maintained my sim DPS of 980k which I am happy to see as it should mean I can improve steadily and with gear might be competitive for the guild.

I also didn't realise AoTD was instant cast and assumed it was still a channel so was derping about during that time too.

Thanks to all that gave input, I really felt bad with the spec and didn't want to link the logs being as bad as they were but knew something simple needed to be fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...-done&fight=20

It was a wipe as was the purple parse on wipe 2 - then the kill I got made dead early on through something stupid.. But at least on the first wipe I got a legendary parse, my first one too!

Thanks for your help, now it's just get good

Gearwrench still has pet on passive.