Thread: Fan problems

Fan problems

Hey folks. Not sure if there's an existing thread about this, if so I haven't found it.

Anyway, my computer is pre-built (yes yes I know, burn the heretic) and has 3 fans on the sides of the box, not counting another one next to the CPU. Problem is, one of them is going haywire. I've had this machine for a few months and while it sometimes made noise, it usually shut up after a minute or two so I didn't bother to crack the case open. Now it constantly makes a lot of noise and looks like it has lost its axis or something along those lines. Point is it's unbearable now.

Is that something one can repair with tools at home? If not, since I have other fans and that the offender is only close to the hard drive, would just removing it be safe or do I incur too many risks? I'd rather ask before I get to tinkering myself, I'm not the best at this sort of thing.

The only idea I have would be to test CPU temperature with and without the fan, to see if there's any significant difference. Any other tips? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Hey folks. Not sure if there's an existing thread about this, if so I haven't found it.

Anyway, my computer is pre-built (yes yes I know, burn the heretic) and has 3 fans on the sides of the box, not counting another one next to the CPU. Problem is, one of them is going haywire. I've had this machine for a few months and while it sometimes made noise, it usually shut up after a minute or two so I didn't bother to crack the case open. Now it constantly makes a lot of noise and looks like it has lost its axis or something along those lines. Point is it's unbearable now.

Is that something one can repair with tools at home? If not, since I have other fans and that the offender is only close to the hard drive, would just removing it be safe or do I incur too many risks? I'd rather ask before I get to tinkering myself, I'm not the best at this sort of thing.

The only idea I have would be to test CPU temperature with and without the fan, to see if there's any significant difference. Any other tips? Thanks in advance.
    If your pc is only a few months old, should be covered by a warranty ... you should be able to take it back to where you got it and have them repair it for free.

Unless your not bothered about that and just want an instant fix, there not expensive to buy. BUT you may actually invalidate and warranty you got with the PC by carrying out a repair yourself on it.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

I'll try to see about having it repaired. I just generally don't trust repair shops, the last time I used one my PC came back with more problems than it had beforehand.

And yeah, guess I could just buy a replacement. A local store has basic fans at 20$, that's not too much. I don't suppose I need anything fancy anyway, and can probably leave the computer short one fan until I get the replacement because this is driving me nuts as I type lol.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I'll try to see about having it repaired. I just generally don't trust repair shops, the last time I used one my PC came back with more problems than it had beforehand.

And yeah, guess I could just buy a replacement. A local store has basic fans at 20$, that's not too much. I don't suppose I need anything fancy anyway, and can probably leave the computer short one fan until I get the replacement because this is driving me nuts as I type lol.

Thanks for the help.
    It's a pre-built. Don't take it to a repair shop. Call the people you bought it from and demand that they fix it. IMO, that is really the only advantage to buying a pre-built. Since you bought a pre-built, don't spend the time fixing this shit yourself, Make them do it. make them come to you and do it if possible, so you don't have to send them your whole PC and be without it. You paid the premium for a pre-built, you shouldn't have to deal with this shit yourself and shouldn't have to be without your PC for a couple weeks.

Gonna go with Lathais on this one.

If you spent the money on a prebuilt, make them fix it.

Otherwise, why buy a prebuilt.

Fan making unearthly sound? Cheap and shitty bearing is shot - no way to repair it by yourself (ok, nitpickers, you can do it, but, yeah.. you get the point). Either put it on warranty or discard and buy a new one.

Hey

Try getting higher rpm fans
    Will boost the cooling