Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What purpose does quest total quest limit serve?

They keep saying they would like to address the reason for having a full quest log in the first place, but in the mean time, why not let people accumulate as many quests as they want? What does it matter if someone has a lot of quests in their log? I can see putting a limit of like 100 so people don't have absurd amounts of quests, but I don't see the big deal of letting people hold on to a lot of quests if they want.
    Last edited by Echoherb; 2017-11-06 at 10:30 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    I can see putting a limit of like 100 so people don't have absurd amounts of quests, but I don't see the big deal of letting people hold on to a lot of quests if they want.
    100 quests already IS an absurd amount of quests.

anyone who has more than maximum 15 quests active gotta be on drugs.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    It could be some weird coding hiccup from 2003 for all we now and those things are not always easy to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    100 quests already IS an absurd amount of quests.

anyone who has more than maximum 15 quests active gotta be on drugs.
    100 is the limit, I always seem to hit the upper limit in legion

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I cant remember which, but there was an expansion that got rid of the quest limit, and Blizz said that they didn't like it cuz too many people felt like they had to do everything at once and the quest limit was a way to limit that, or something stupid like that iirc.
    The problem is people still feel that way, but now they have to go through the annoyance of having to delete quests when they are full and having to get them again later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MayhemPenguin View Post
    100 is the limit, I always seem to hit the upper limit in legion
    What? the limit is like 25

It's not just some arbitrary number. Take every single account ever made or that ever will be made and multiply 100 into that line of code and the data used to store it. That becomes difficult to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    The problem is people still feel that way, but now they have to go through the annoyance of having to delete quests when they are full and having to get them again later.

- - - Updated - - -

What? the limit is like 25
    Yeah I was asking the dude above me, guess I forgot the question mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    It's not just some arbitrary number. Take every single account ever made or that ever will be made and multiply 100 into that line of code and the data used to store it. That becomes difficult to manage.
    I'm not willing to believe changing the total quest limit is a big enough deal to worry about managing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    If you don't know shit about technology, don't talk about technology.

It is an arbitrary number but yes, of course it consumes some storage space. Unlikely that's why they don't increase the number, however.

The questlog cap was increased from 20 to 25 in TBC and the daily quest limit was removed in MoP. The cap on 25 quests in your log was never removed.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2017-11-06 at 10:35 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    15? really? Do you even play this game?
    Yes, and i never have more than that many quests active.

Never had.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Yes, and i never have more than that many quests active.

Never had.
    When then you play the game differently than the vast majority of players. I get more than 15 quests without even trying.

I cant remember which, but there was an expansion that got rid of the quest limit, and Blizz said that they didn't like it cuz too many people felt like they had to do everything at once and the quest limit was a way to limit that, or something stupid like that iirc.
    Installs quest limit so people don't have to feel like they have to do everything.

Requires everything to be done to get flying.
    Requires almost everything to be done to advance the story.
    Requires almost everything to be done to unlock things like crucible.

Seriously, what a load of horse shit that excuse is.

Its the Order hall dungeon quests + account wide pet quests + artifact quest + balance of power quest + profession quests + suramar quest + illidan quest. Then when you want to do Icecrown dailies. As an extreme example.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Wasn't that with dailies?

Anyways...I did run into issues with the limit. Get a few that need you to go to a raid from the mission board, then I had all the Falcosaur hatchling quests (accountwide) and some bloody profession quests (especially as a herbalist I seem to have 3 at a time) - and that log is always full
    Yeah they said that about dailies. The main explanation for the quest limit is they want to address why you have so many quests instead. They said that during the WoD q&a, then it just got much worse with legion.

One guy asked about this and got a completely vague explanation.

If someone can't take having too many quests and wants to finish them first, then they can do so and be my guest. I see no reason why players shouldn't be able to pick how many quests they'll deal with and keep the rest inactive, but still there.

There should be at least 40 quest slots. For instance, I went to do some Outland/Northrend loremaster requisites and had to abandon active quests just to be able to complete this.

The purpose is to not have so much shit in your quest log so that it doesn't take you longer to search for the quest you want.

What Ion said in response to the question in the Q&A panel was they would first want to reduce the amount of quests in your log that you've inexplicably acquired some way, instead of just putting a band aid on the problem by increasing the limit.

That's their philosophy. I don't care either way.

15? really? Do you even play this game?
    I have several characters whose quest logs are full of constipated previous expansion bread crumbs that I just can't get around to finishing.

I'd be fine if the limit was raised to 30 or 35 though.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Multi-week questlines are the worst in design for the quest log.

Future questlines should use the currency system imo if it's a multi-week process.

And I mean those time-gated questlines with absolute weekly caps, like the illidan souls quest, early on took 8 weeks, 80 items , 10 per week.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-11-07 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Multi-week questlines are the worst in design for the quest log.

Future questlines should use the currency system imo if it's a multi-week process.

And I mean those time-gated questlines with absolute weekly caps, like the illidan souls quest, early on took 8 weeks, 80 items , 10 per week.
    Yeah, and I also end up with a ton of profession quests that pop up all the time and then just sit in my quest log. The prof quests really need their own menu