Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    You give him way too much credit. He understands, he just doesn't care. You have a preexisting condition? "Fuck you I got mine" is his motto.
    The republican party modus operandi for at least 2 decades now has been "People deserve to suffer". So yes, they simply do not care. They are well aware people will die, people will suffer, that in the long run the country as a whole will be harmed. But, their political philosophy is "People deserve to suffer".

Look to the majority of their platform and you can apply that rather easily to it to find their reasoning.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

What I like about every iteration of the healthcare bill is that you can see the real goal of the Republicans here: it's not to make a good healthcare bill. It's to make a bill that benefits the wealthy and the people who need more benefits the least, while at the same time having just enough of the right words in it that the bill can trigger a mindless support following from the conservative base. It's like fine tuning the size of the anal dildo vs. the amount of lube needed to slide it in.

This third glimpse is getting closer. It removed the big words on top of the bill, like the cuts for the wealthy, but slid in some smaller words, like pre-existing conditions. Still too big, not enough lube. They'll get that dildo in there eventually, though!

10+ Year Old Account
    Its getting to the point where people arent going bother to consider anything they propose due to the BS theyve been trying to pass.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

So far Rand Paul and Susan Collins have said they won't vote. Only need to lose one more.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    This will turn the exchange into a high-risk pool. The healthy people will buy cheap plans that cover very little, and WE ALL get screwed when they get sick.
    Fixed that for you.
    This is once again a way for people -- some of whom have posted their laments in this very forum -- to purchase cheap junk insurance again.
    And then, once they have a serious accident or condition, the rest of us end up paying their bills when their junk insurance weasels out of anything more than cheap doctor visits.
    Last edited by BrerBear; 2017-07-13 at 10:13 PM.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    The republican party modus operandi for at least 2 decades now has been "People deserve to suffer". So yes, they simply do not care. They are well aware people will die, people will suffer, that in the long run the country as a whole will be harmed. But, their political philosophy is "People deserve to suffer".

Look to the majority of their platform and you can apply that rather easily to it to find their reasoning.
    No, no... only the people who for some reason choose to be poor deserve to suffer. The normal rich people need Government assistance in the form of massive tax cuts.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

And it seems McCain makes 3. So it's dead, at the moment, not that they are likely to stop.

It's funny reading the news about it. You see lines like "I need to see what it does to lower premiums for middle class" from republican senators. No, your bill does not lower premiums. Lowering premiums was never intended with any of the republican bills. You are confusing lower premiums with lower cost plans that don't cover preventative care and such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now it's dead, unless someone changes their mind.

They need to just scrap it, and have an actual bipartisan effort, instead of writing it in secret.

I'm telling you it will pass. This is the party of "I don't give a Fuck about people". They need/want those tax breaks and if they can fuck the poor they will. Plus the people who get fucked will still vote for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what would help 65 year old Mr. Bernstein who is suffering from prostate cancer? Charging his insurance from 3x as much to potentially 5x as much or more!

Beating that hypothetical old man to death with his many pages of insurance documention would probably be more merciful than suffering through both prostate cancer and bankruptcy that will extend probably to his family and kids as well. Except this isn't a hypothetical situation at all, many Americans young and old suffer from conditions beyond their control every day and a political party having the gall to try and pass something this reprehensible should worry everyone who votes Republican. Unless you're a millionaire of course .

Thankfully we have some Republicans with enough humanity and common sense to fight on their constituents behalf.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    Read it this afternoon, and boy...all I can say is...Sorry Americans

Collins has already come out and said she's a no. Two more and you guys are safe , for now anyways :/
    I gotta give Collins some credit for doing the right thing every now and then.

Even if she is a phony. Works in our favor for now.

Still won't be voting for her in 2020 (I'm a Mainer.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    I'm telling you it will pass. This is the party of "I don't give a Fuck about people". They need/want those tax breaks and if they can fuck the poor they will. Plus the people who get fucked will still vote for them.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    It's to make a bill that benefits the wealthy
    Which is odd, in this case, because this version has retained some ACA taxes. Including the big one, actually. In fact, it was called ACA lite BEFORE they added them back. Now it's ACA lite lite.

Yes, it still cuts Medicaid, it still fucks the poor. It just...gives the rich less in exchange. It is the very definition of lose-lose.

That's why Rand Paul is already voicing his "No". It might not even make it to the floor.

The August recess was delayed two weeks but...this is not something they can salvage in a month. This is not your T20 going to your T21 set that you can just shift around a few pieces here and there and check AskMrRobot if you're optimized. Shifting around a few million here and there, a minor amendment here and there, isn't going to magically make this work. This is getting better coverage, for more people, for less money. This is impossible. And they have more time, but not enough time, to start from scratch.

52 is a dangerous number. There are moderates and Freedom Caucus members in the GOP and their wants are...well, not polar opposites, but not exactly compatible. Moderates are worried about the CBO score and Medicaid because, God bless them, they actually sometimes interact with their constituents and don't want them to die. Freedom Caucus people are...how can I put this gently...nah. They're trying to kill people so the rich get money. I don't think there's any other way to look at it. They are fighting tooth and claw for a tax reduction for the rich, at the cost of people who have coverage now, not having coverage. And the excuses like "well they can just get a job" are met with such things as "Medicaid pays for the majority of people in nursing homes, what job can they get?" A huge portion of Medicaid goes to the elderly and children, who cannot work even if they're not sick.

Some members of the House are making calls to have their recess delayed, too. Remember, September, their budget expires, and the government shuts down without action. There is a ticking clock here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    . So it's dead, at the moment
    Not dead. Dying. There's a difference.

Maybe some of the listed people will change their mind, maybe they'll try a new amendment. But the CBO on this latest version is Monday and i honestly don't see how anything here will reduce the number usefully. The Cruz/Lee thing...that sounds like an adjective you use to describe a car. "Man, look at those lines, this thing is so cruzlee". Anyhow, allowing people to sell those plans made illegal, as long as you sell legal ones, will only let people do what they did before the ACA: get sick, and go bankrupt. That's why they were made illegal. So the CBO score will go down, and the GOP will rejoice "Yay! only 19 million this time!" and ignore the rest of the text about people getting sick and dying while still having health care.

I'd be sitting back and chortling if this wasn't literally a life or death situation for millions of Americans. All humor is based on suffering, but this just isn't funny anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

They need to just scrap it, and have an actual bipartisan effort, instead of writing it in secret.
    Any way you look at it, it's a defeat. If they toughen it up enough to please the ideologues and it passes (extremely unlikely) they get annihilated at the next election and it gets repealed. More likely it just sinks. If they water it down enough for the moderates to go for it then all it is is Obamacare with a haircut. If they go for bipartisan support then they probably wind up with Obamacare with small amendments, a better (ie more expensive) version of Obamacare or something really wild like an actual single payer system (kek).

In fact I can't imagine a more resounding defeat for an entire ideology. They have the Senate, House and Presidency in their hands, the keys to the fucking kingdom, and the opportunity to pass something they've been vowing to do as pretty much their primary platform for like 8 years. And they can't do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Might do, who knows, but I wouldn't bet on this version being it. And this is the final nail in the coffin of this kind of engagement. If this doesn't work they need to totally change their approach to get something passed, which will probably take six months to a year bare minimum.

Would help if they had a President who had any leadership skills whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

bipartisan means keeping the ACA and looking at what points it didn't live up and improving that. Republicans can not scream deathpannels for 8 years and all that other bullshit and then no repeal the ACA.

The ACA is actually a good and well-thought plan, sure it isn't a single payer but in terms of privete insurence policy it's actually good. Nothing the GOP can crap out will come close to what Obama thought of.

Nope. It will likely pass.

2 no's (Paul and Collins), but no one else is saying no. There were several GOP senators opposed to first iteration, but they've gone silent or lukewarm. No one wants to be the 3rd no that kills it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It's beyond amazing how the GOP seems so intent on killing americans and/or fucking up our healthcare system. MAGA!
    Maybe their version of making America great again is just killing all the poor people? Im guessing America is going to be pretty great :/

10+ Year Old Account
    No one wants to be the 3rd no that kills it.
    First of all, McCain would to it just to troll Trump at this point. Have you seen how happy he looks these days?

Second of all, Freedom Caucus members have proven they are dedicated to their ideology. Should the bill warrant it, they will vote no, regardless of the tally. They've done it once already.

Third of all, I think at this point, some Senate GOP will say "the CBO score is awful and I need to think of my voters" because they see 2018 is coming and the Trump wagon is down to three wheels already.

And finallyth of all, I think at this point, some Senate GOP will say "this won't pass in the House, either, so it's not my vote that kills it".

We'll find out, but not today. CBO score is due Monday. Yeah, I know they're asking Trump's WH to run the numbers instead because they will get better numbers due to blatant political bias, but moderates d

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    First of all, McCain would to it just to troll Trump at this point. Have you seen how happy he looks these days?

Second of all, Freedom Caucus members have proven they are dedicated to their ideology. Should the bill warrant it, they will vote no, regardless of the tally. They've done it once already.

Third of all, I think at this point, some Senate GOP will say "the CBO score is awful and I need to think of my voters" because they see 2018 is coming and the Trump wagon is down to three wheels already.

And finallyth of all, I think at this point, some Senate GOP will say "this won't pass in the House, either, so it's not my vote that kills it".

We'll find out, but not today. CBO score is due Monday. Yeah, I know they're asking Trump's WH to run the numbers instead because they will get better numbers due to blatant political bias, but moderates d
    McCain is one of the most pro-Trump senators based on voting record. McCain is a fucking fraud.

The current GOP plan is to bypass CBO, and get HHS to score it, they've apparently submitted it to CBO without the Cruz amendment, are pretending it's an accident, and claiming there's no time for it to be scored with the amendment.

The House will pass whatever the Senate passes with no further changes.

Given that the 3rd vote kill it will not come forward, it is highly likely this will pass.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2017-07-14 at 01:53 PM.

McCain is one of the most pro-Trump senators based on voting record. McCain is a fucking fraud.

The current GOP plan is to bypass CBO, and get HHS to score it, they've apparently submitted it to CBO without the Cruz amendment, are pretending it's an accident, and claiming there's no time for it to be scored with the amendment.

The House will pass whatever the Senate passes with no further changes.

Given that the 3rd vote kill it will not come forward, it is highly likely this will pass.
    Entirely possible and then it's just left to see how much it hurts republicans in future elections. It's kind of funny actually republicans are doing all this effort and accomplishing nothing else knowing full well that come 2020 it's not going to stay that way.

Dunno why you guys are so harsh. Remember...

"Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated"