Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    We like our government in the US but most of us don't trust our government with something like our healthcare.
    Not sure what you mean by we but most Americans do want government involved in healthcare, the parts that do work have government involved.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-by-democrats/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    What he fails to mention, is that government pays everything for him. Easy to talk crap about others who don't get government to pay it all, and then say "it's their own fault for being stupid".
    Government doesnt pay for shit for me except my salary for my work. I pay a portion of my healthcare, and the rest I earn through my blood sweat and tears as I toil away at work every day. People who get subsidies are getting more from the government than I am

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyreg View Post
    As a Brit I'm interested in how much more we are taxed to pay for things such as the NHS compared to the US.

Say you earn £30k per year, you would pay £6,320.32 per annum in income tax and NI. This obviously covers the NHS and I've heard the figure that goes to the NHS is around 20-30% of your taxes which would be £1,580.08 per annum for the NHS (based upon 25% of your taxes)

Can anybody from the US in here give me an idea of the income tax you would have to pay on the equivalent salary in the US and also what you would be looking at in terms of health insurance (assume single 30 year old person that has been previously healthy)
    I pay $44 every 2 weeks so that would be $1144 (£853) per annum.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Government doesnt pay for shit for me except my salary for my work. I pay a portion of my healthcare, and the rest I earn through my blood sweat and tears as I toil away at work every day. People who get subsidies are getting more from the government than I am
    Sorry, but you've already said you get insurance with good coverage from your employer. Now when that employer happens to be the government, it's the government that pays all your crap for you. You are not paying for private poor coverage insurances like many others.

Shouldn't you be appalled by the government welfare stick you are receiving in the form of good insurance, that many don't have? Or is the welfare suddenly fine when you don't call it that in your own case, but everyone elses?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I pay $44 every 2 weeks so that would be $1144 (£853) per annum.
    Not sure how accurate this is but going off the link below:

http://us.thetaxcalculator.net/#

The equivalent salary to £30k ($40k), you would pay $7,033 in income tax which is around £900 less than you would pay in the UK. Would people in the US not rather pay this small amount of additional tax to ensure you and your family no matter what health they are in do not need to worry about the financial implications of their healthcare?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Sorry, but you've already said you get insurance with good coverage from your employer. Now when that employer happens to be the government, it's the government that pays all your crap for you. You are not paying for private poor coverage insurances like many others.

Shouldn't you be appalled by the government welfare stick you are receiving in the form of good insurance, that many don't have? Or is the welfare suddenly fine when you don't call it that in your own case, but everyone elses?
    Its not welfare when its part of your compensation package for WORKING for the government. I bust my ass for 40 hours a week for that "welfare". Funny how you dont call it welfare when someone working for Ford gets the same thing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyreg View Post
    Not sure how accurate this is but going off the link below:

http://us.thetaxcalculator.net/#

The equivalent salary to £30k ($40k), you would pay $7,033 in income tax which is around £900 less than you would pay in the UK. Would people in the US not rather pay this small amount of additional tax to ensure you and your family no matter what health they are in do not need to worry about the financial implications of their healthcare?
    Not when Im already getting insurance for the lesser amount that I am already paying. I dont give a shit if Ichabod Wilson down the block has insurance or not

Not when Im already getting insurance for the lesser amount that I am already paying. I dont give a shit if Ichabod Wilson down the block has insurance or not
    But what if you develop diabetes or get cancer or something? What would your insurance go up to then?

Apart from the waiting times, the NHS has always been good for me and my family.
    However. I would not oppose a small segment of it going private.

"I pay a portion" bwahahahahahahahaha

Welfare queen.

- - - Updated - - -

The rest of the developed world is already able to cover their citizens for the same that our government ALREADY spends. All private healthcare spending in this country is a pointless rip off. We could afford universal healthcare without a cent more in taxes.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Deleted
    NHS is awesome, don't like it go private

10+ Year Old Account
    I once rang up late morning and could not get an appointment until a couple of hours later...bloody disgrace!

Deleted
    People really should learn to ignore Orlong

Also my mother got an MRI on NHS straight away

Deleted
    British hospitals are rated amongst the worst in Europe, so their health system can't be that amazing.

http://www.healthpowerhouse.com/file...016_report.pdf

The UK scores pretty poorly, 15th in the EU.
    Last edited by mmoc925aeb179c; 2017-07-17 at 07:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    British hospitals are rated amongst the worst in Europe, so their health system can't be that amazing.

http://www.healthpowerhouse.com/file...016_report.pdf

The UK scores pretty poorly, 15th in the EU.
    Is that a legit source

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Is that a legit source
    Yes, it's in function of the EU. You can read through it, they explain their rankings in depth.

Then again the UK's score suffers a lot in terms of accessibility and queue times for patients, it's where they lost the majority of their points on.

A good healthcare system is one that works for the entire population, and works fast and efficiently.
    Last edited by mmoc925aeb179c; 2017-07-17 at 07:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Yes, it's in function of the EU. You can read through it, they explain their rankings in depth.

Then again the UK's score suffers a lot in terms of accessibility and queue times for patients, it's where they lost the majority of their points on.

A good healthcare system is one that works for the entire population, and works fast and efficiently.
    The wait times where my GP is are minimal, as I joked earlier I once had to wait a couple of hours for an appointment. When I lived in London the wait times were virtually non-existant as well, so not just a more rural area. It seems to be something of a postcode lottery as to how quickly you will be seen.

I do tend to live in affluent areas though, so maybe that affects it and in poorer parts of the country you wait longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    It's all kinds of messed up. Most states have their own internal markets with no competition across state borders. Insurance companies (under Obamacare) HAVE to insure everyone who asks, so they jack up the prices on the healthy in order to subsidise the unhealthy. They also have so-called deductibles, meaning the amount you have to shell out before the insurance company starts paying. Deductibles and insurance premiums have shot up ever since Obamacare came into play - in part because healthy people are choosing not to sign up in order to save money - if they have a problem, they can get insurance THEN, and in the mean time the fines are cheaper... this in turn means those who DO sign up have to pay more, of course.

That said... the fact that stuff comes under insurance means the prices are inflated compared to what they'd be if you were uninsured, or just walked in and asked to pay right there and then. Steven Crowder mentioned a back operation he had a few years ago (ie pre-Obamacare), with a cost on insurance of something like $11k... or maybe $2k if he just paid the hospital himself.

Oh, and in case all that wasn't enough, there's also government programs like Medicare and Medicaid, or the Office of Veteran Affairs. Not to mention a zillion exemptions under Obamacare, such as for Congressional staffers and trade unions, etc etc etc.

At this point, it'd be far easier to nuke the entire system and start over, but there are too many vested interests for that. Hell, the Republicans want to dump Obamacare, and yet they're finding it hard to just undo a law that's less than a decade old...
    Thank you for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    You're a complete asshole so I think most Brits would prefer you don't speak for them either...

- - - Updated - - -

The NHS *is* the public system. You think there isn't better healthcare in the UK for the people who want to pay for it?
    I know that NHS is the public system, I was talking about my country's public system. Here if you rely on it you are fucked, but if you can afford private insurance you will get a pretty good treatment.

The way I see it you can either have high taxes and a good universal health care system or you can have lower taxes and only people that can/choose to afford insurance (or can afford to pay the whole price) will have access to it. On the other hand, lower taxes means that people will have more money to spend wherever they want and the choice to take the risk of not having health insurance.

I am not saying that one system is superior than the other, I am just saying that it seems to my that Europe had the former while USA had the later.
    Last edited by Knolan; 2017-07-17 at 11:01 PM.

Deleted
    WHO dropped healthcare rankings for a reason. It being there are too many factors in healthcare systems to make a proper ranking.

Its not welfare when its part of your compensation package for WORKING for the government. I bust my ass for 40 hours a week for that "welfare". Funny how you dont call it welfare when someone working for Ford gets the same thing

- - - Updated - - -

There is a common saying when working with the government, 20% of the people do 80% of the work. I'm positive you fall outside that 20%. "Busting your ass", hahaha. You do data entry IT, pretty much bottom of the totem pole stuff, and based on what you've claimed to make, you're a GG10-11. Sorry, but if you busted your ass so much, plus your military experience and your age, you'd be a 14 by now, right?
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

I have a hard time believing studies which put UK ahead in the healthcare department.
    Especially when the fucking WHO has a much more comprehensive analysis which puts it quite behind (rank 16 to 21) and has much more logical number 1 (France).

Notice that the USA are still pretty much a shithold when it comes to healthcare, being down to 35 to 44 world ranking.