Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    c) Innovation does not rely solely on billionaires.
    d) Lots of innovators were low paid wage slaves when they came up with their innovations.
    You don't understand how technology works and how the economy works as well. The latest version of that CPU in your laptop cost $10 billion to develop. Quantum computing is going to cost trillions. Nobody making $10 an hour is going to invent anything anymore.

I'm extremely happy that people like you and the author of this thread are not in charge of anything even remotely important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    You don't understand how technology works and how the economy works as well. The latest version of that CPU in your laptop cost $10 billion to develop. Quantum computing is going to cost trillions. Nobody making $10 an hour is going to invent anything anymore.

I'm extremely happy that people like you and the author of this thread are not in charge of anything even remotely important.
    closer to the truth would be: no one man invents anything anymore. so no one man needs $10 billlion for progress.

10+ Year Old Account
    1: Strong tariffs on any and all imported goods

2: That's it. Laissez-Faire the rest of the way

You seem to be confusing the terms "Inventor" and "Investor".

You don't need to be a Billionaire to Invent...but you may need an Investor to get that product to the market.

Or, in the case you are describing...the inventors would actually more likely be employees...making somewhat less than $200 an hour.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    - eliminate laws that exempt churches and other religious institutions from taxation

- eliminate loopholes/tax laws that allow corporations with profits in the billions to either pay very little or nothing at all in taxes, while poor and middle-class workers shoulder the burden

- tax credits/incentives for businesses that keep a 20:1 or lower ratio between their highest paid and lowest paid full-time employees (including executives)

- increase spending in healthcare and education (utilizing tax revenues gained from taxing religious institutions and closing corporate tax loopholes)

- greatly decrease military spending and funnel the revenues instead into space program

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    closer to the truth would be: no one man invents anything anymore. so no one man needs $10 billlion for progress.
    Again, it's not in your power to decide how much is anyone going to make. If I own a company that makes $1 billion a year, and I decide that the CEO will make $10 million, that is my decision to make, not yours.
    It's funny how some random people somewhere think that they will tell how other people spend their money.

The problem with having many people on minimum wage jobs could be solved by investing in education, not by redistributing wealth.
    But people getting educated is hard, instead they want to just take money form the more successful and call them their own. And then the system collapses. It has happened before, many times, but those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-07-17 at 09:48 AM.

Deleted
    Again, it's not in your power to decide how much is anyone going to make. If I own a company that makes $1 billion a year, and I decide that the CEO will make $10 million, that is my decision to make, not yours.
    It's funny how some random people somewhere think that they will tell how other people spend their money.

The problem with having many people on minimum wage jobs could be solved by investing in education, not by redistributing wealth.
    But people getting educated is hard, instead they want to just take money form the more successful and call them their own. And then the system collapses. It has happened before, many times, but those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    dude dont change your argument every other post, at this point your arguing 5 different things at once.

-the government decides how much you make, not you. don't fool yourself into thinking the system cannot be changed just because it seems implausible today.
    -society as a whole routinely tells people how to spend their money. the most notable examples are taxes and illegal activities.
    -education nor wealth distribution will remove minimum wage labor.
    -no system has ever collapsed specifically because it was impossible it was impossible to get extremely rich. (dont confuse extremely rich with regular rich)
    -no system has ever collapsed specifically because it was impossible to start a business with your own money.
    -it's more expensive to clean corpses of the streets then it it is to pay people to not die.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You can't put an exact value on nonexclusive public goods like....fire service coverage, or military protection. Or hell, even infrastructure considering that it's not a matter of how much you personally drive.

There is very little that the government does that you don't derive at least incidental benefit from.
    Actually, you can put a price on almost everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    But you're asking for everyone else to assume them with you.
    Nope, I'm simply refusing to support forcing someone to do it one way or the other. That's why I believe in voluntary governance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    2) Dirigism
    But free market capitalism's got what the economy craves, it's got electrolytes.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I need one:

I want as little government meddling in the economy as possible.
    May I suggest moving to Haiti - it's your Ayn Randian eutopian society where government isn't allowed to interfere with ANY buisnesses affairs or practices whatsoever and cannot institute regulation upon their "Free" market.

Call us when you're ready to once again commence haulin' that invisible nonexistent globe back onto your shoulders. It will be here waiting for you, good as new since the day you left it, since it really wasn't just you carrying it...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SignalBlitzkrieg View Post
    But free market capitalism's got what the economy craves, it's got electrolytes.
    It's what patents crave...
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2017-07-17 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    May I suggest moving to Haiti - it's your Ayn Randian eutopian society where government isn't allowed to interfere with ANY buisnesses affairs or practices whatsoever and cannot institute regulation upon their "Free" market.

Call us when you're ready to once again commence haulin' that invisible nonexistent globe back onto your shoulders. It will be here waiting for you, good as new since the day you left it, since it really wasn't just you carrying it...

- - - Updated - - -

It's what patents crave...
    Haiti's government interferes all the time, and it's damn corrupt. As for Rand, she's a lot like Marx, a philosopher who has been mostly debunked. I do not oppose government, I simply support voluntary governance.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    -the government decides how much you make, not you.
    So the government is dictating that the CEO of a $100 billion a year corporation should be making 300k a year, not the shareholders, who are making billions ? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
    That would mean, even more than before, that money is limited to the super wealthy, because if you are not wealthy it will be impossible to become wealthy with salary alone.

Your plans are so ridiculously stupid that they achieve the exact opposite effect of what they are designed to achieve. It's hilarious.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-07-17 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    If a "living wage" is defined as "you can afford food, shelter, clothing, and medical care," then incentive is, "and if you make more, you can buy that gaming PC and the new expansion of WoW without sacrificing the basics."

Yes, which is what I said, since a merit raise means you get more for working harder.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

My ideal economic policy is having no economic policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    Let's say the lowest salary is 1000$

How many businesses would actually be concerned by a 20 000$ /month cap on executives income ?

Again, this is not aimed at reconstructing an entire business model rather than putting a band aid on a broken system

Quite a lot. Again, you're showing no real understanding of business and economics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    The degree to which many of you appeal to authority is quite tiresome. For any authority to have any significance whatever that authority would have to be agreed upon. Most authorities in the specific fields you make note of are absolutely tools of the status quo establishment so I would personally tend to disqualify a huge percentage of them right from the start.

And yet you got banned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by almaderp View Post
    do you need to earn more than $200 an hour? assuming the lowest wage is $10 per hour?
    If last year I was making $194/hr, and my efforts at work measurably helped us bring in more revenue than the previous year, yes. After all, merit raises are fair, right?

Or should my hard work not be rewarded with an annual merit raise?

Keep in mind, no worker stays at the starting pay in a merit based system so long as they aren't getting low scores on their annual review. At which point, if a worker isn't working hard, and just slacking off, should they get a raise every year?
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Tax: Flat income tax 15%, corporate tax 0%, estate tax 0%, no exemptions or deductions, that's it. No social security tax.
    Entitlements/social programs: 1 month food stamp/welfare per year of full time work. Social security deductions can be taken out of weekly pay but requires approval from the worker every year.. Money literally goes into a Roth IRA like program, no guaranteed rate of return but linked to stocks/bonds/etc
    Federal government has 4 functions : National defense, national treaties, collect taxes, and protects the rights or people written within the constitution. The size of the state/federal government cannot employ any more than 5% of the total population except in times of war exceptions limited to military services only.
    Term limits/restrictions: President 2 4years, house 2 2years, senate 2 4years
    Last edited by ezgeze; 2017-07-20 at 09:26 AM.